Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 27th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Passenger

Default Taxi rates in Bahamas?

I'll be on a cruise making a port call at Nassau, Bahamas. How much can I expect to pay for a taxi from the Nassau cruise port (is it usually the same port that all cruise ships dock at?) to Atlantis Paradise Island for 6 people? Do Bahamian taxis go by the mileage or do they count heads?

Thank you!
Sponsored Links
Old May 27th, 2008, 01:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Hope this helps.

By Taxi

The government sets the taxi rates, and the cabs are metered (or should be). Metered rates are $3 (£1.60) for the first .3km (quarter-mile) and 40¢ each additional 1.6km (1 mile). Additional passengers over the age of 2 are $3 each. If there's no meter, agree on the price with the driver in advance.

You can call for a taxi, although most taxis wait at the major hotels or the cruise-ship dock to pick up passengers. One major taxi company is Freeport Taxi Company, Logwood Road (tel. 242/352-6666), open 24 hours. Another is Grand Bahama Taxi Union, at the Freeport International Airport, Old Airport Road (tel. 242/352-7101), also open 24 hours. Note:

Typical taxi rates are as follows. From the Cruise Ship Harbour to: Xanadu Beach Hotel, $17 (£9); Port Lucaya Marketplace, $24 (£13); Flamingo Beach Resort/The Ritz, $24 (£13); Viva Fortuna Beach, $29 (£15). From the airport to: anywhere in Port Lucaya or Our Lucaya, $19 (£10); Viva Fortuna, $20 (£11); Royal Oasis, $11 (£5.85

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 28th, 2008, 12:13 PM
Passenger

Thanks Trip,

Would you know the cost from the cruise ship dock to Atlantis? Do all cruise ships usually dock at the same port in Nassau? If so, do you know the exact port name and location? I'll like to do a search online to see if I can find taxi rates from the dock to certain destinations within the island.

I've also heard that you can usually get a flat rate depending on number of people traveling, from the taxi drivers, instead of having them go by mileage. With the prices you've given me, are they estimates determined by tested distances that doesn't matter how many people is in the party?

Thank you!