Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 10th, 2008, 02:42 PM
Passenger

Default Cozumel Excursions

What do you reccommend for a first timer in Cozumel. Its going to be my husband and I. Thanks!

Inspiration 08/21/08
Sponsored Links
Old June 10th, 2008, 09:19 PM
Passenger

We went on the Tullum Mayan Ruins. I didn't like it. My husband loved it. It was beautiful and well worth the trip. The only thing is that it was so hot and took so long to get there. We only had about 1 1/2 hours at the ruins. There is a very rocky ferry ride (take the sea sickness pills) and a long bus ride. If you do this, take lots of water or gatorade because there isn't alot available for sale. Also take sunscreen as there is almost no shade at the ruins. There is a beach and I would have taken a dip but we just didn't have time.

We booked with Royal Carribean.
Old June 11th, 2008, 09:45 AM
Admiral

so much depends upon what you and your DH want to do. If you snorkel or want to try it Cozumel is a great place, we always book the ships excursion out to the Palencaar Reef, its an easy swim and its so beautiful. What i suggest is that you peruse what the ship offers, find a couple of things that make you go hmmm we might like that and then bring your ideas back here for our feedback. There are some gorgeous beaches if you want to just veg on a beach.
Old June 11th, 2008, 12:16 PM
Admiral

We usually do a beach day. Paradise Beach is a short cab ride away (less than $15 per cab not per person). They have chairs/umbrella, food, bar, restrooms, changing area, with no admission charge. There will be plenty of cabs there to bring you back. Paradise Beach is a great way to spend the day without spending a lot of money. 8)
56 Carnival: Mardi Gras, Ecstasy X2, Fascination X6, Celebration, Elation X5, Glory X5, Fantasy X4, Valor, Holiday X3, Imagination, Liberty, Spirit X2, Freedom, Destiny X2, Splendor X2, Dream X2, Conquest, Legend X3, Victory, Sensation, Paradise, Inspiration, Magic X2, Triumph, Miracle X2, Breeze, Sunshine X3
7 Norwegian: Sky, Jewel, Dawn, Epic, Pearl, Breakaway, Getaway
7 Windjammer: S/V Legacy X3, S/V Polynesia, S/V Caledonia, S/V Diamant, S/V Sagitta
HAL Statendam
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:55 PM
Admiral

Hint: Take a brimmed hat and an umbrella for the ruins tours. Make your own shade when you need it especially you older folks or folks with kiddos. Typically take a minimum of 1.5 quarts water per person.

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeker
We went on the Tullum Mayan Ruins. I didn't like it. My husband loved it. It was beautiful and well worth the trip. The only thing is that it was so hot and took so long to get there. We only had about 1 1/2 hours at the ruins. There is a very rocky ferry ride (take the sea sickness pills) and a long bus ride. If you do this, take lots of water or gatorade because there isn't alot available for sale. Also take sunscreen as there is almost no shade at the ruins. There is a beach and I would have taken a dip but we just didn't have time.

We booked with Royal Carribean.
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 11th, 2008, 02:58 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Cozumel Excursions

Might try the Atlantis sub - about $150 for the 2 of you. Not cheap but then how often to you get to ride in a submarine? Far cheaper than buying the dive gear needed to go down that deep and hang with the fishies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by night_nurse
What do you reccommend for a first timer in Cozumel. Its going to be my husband and I. Thanks!
Amadeus:09 Diamond;Celebrity:10 Summit; HAL: 87 Rotterdam V,89 Nieuw Amsterdam II,93 Nordam III,94 Ryndam III,96 Westerdam III,99 Veendam IV,01 Maasdam V,02 Amsterdam III,03 Volendam III,03 Zuiderdam II,04 Westerdam IV,04 Oosterdam I,05 Zaandam III,06 Statendam V,06 Prinsendam II,07 Nordam IV,08 Eurodam I,08 Rotterdam VI,09 Veendam IV,09 Volendam,10 Nieuw Amsterdam IV,12 Ryndam III;11 P&O:Artemis;RC:07 Splendour of the Seas,11 Navigator of the Seas,12 Majesty of the Seas
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:38 PM
cozumelcruising

Tulum and Xel-Ha combo is certainly a great way to experience the riviera Maya, snorkeling is also a must in Cozumel so you may want to take an island tour with snorkeling (Jeeps or Dune Buggies)...or try the Speedboat and Beach tour...something uniqe...there are a lot of tours to do in Cozumel...good luck!
Old June 14th, 2008, 12:41 PM
cozumelcruising

Tulum and Xel-Ha combo is certainly a great way to experience the riviera Maya, snorkeling is also a must in Cozumel so you may want to take an island tour with snorkeling (Jeeps or Dune Buggies)...or try the Speedboat and Beach tour...something uniqe...there are a lot of tours to do in Cozumel...good luck!
Old June 14th, 2008, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Another option is to see the country beyond tourist stuff. On recent cruise, hubby took my 2 nephews an a cab ride around the island. Let them see how people in other countries live. A real eye opener. I don't have anything against tourist stuff, just like to see the real stuff too.
Marty
Old June 21st, 2008, 11:43 PM
cozumelcruising

Good suggestion too...see some world known stuff and things you dont see normally...you can ask the taxi driver to take you to some of the most famous parts of the city and he will do so...you will see what Cozumel is like, from a 5* villa next to a wooden shack...kids on the street next to a Ford Harley Davidson...all smile...and dont worry about crime, its basically not existing in Cozumel especially against tourists...really safe and friendly and happy people...made me stay and settle down there...good luck!
Old July 9th, 2008, 10:00 PM
Passenger

I really liked Tulum and didn't mind the trip to get there. Take a hat and sun glasses and sun screen and water. You can swim in the ocean there by going to the top cliffs where they threw sacrifcial humans. There are wooden stairsteps to a beautiful beach. I wish I had gone in the water. BUT IT IS HOT even in March, 2008 when I was there.
Old July 10th, 2008, 01:45 AM
cozumelcruising

check out cozumel-watersports.com..we just did a private tour and it was just great...to the extend that my sons want to come back soon ... i dont know it i like that idea haha
Old August 6th, 2008, 08:12 PM
cozumelcruising

Check out the Personal Mini Submarine Tour in Cozumel...this looks like soo much FUN!
Old August 6th, 2008, 10:08 PM
Admiral

Still got that coconut tree just up from the beach? Timed out my kiddo under that tree for trying to go into the water when he was 4. He still remembers looking up at the coconuts 9 years later.<g>

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnie mayfield
I really liked Tulum and didn't mind the trip to get there. Take a hat and sun glasses and sun screen and water. You can swim in the ocean there by going to the top cliffs where they threw sacrifcial humans. There are wooden stairsteps to a beautiful beach. I wish I had gone in the water. BUT IT IS HOT even in March, 2008 when I was there.