Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old September 14th, 2008, 04:03 PM
Captain

Default Grand Cayman Recomendations...

Booked on Liberty for November to Cozumel, Grand Cayman, and Ocho Rios. We found shore excursions I think we will enjoy and booked them for Cozumel (Mayan Ruins) and Ocho Rios (Bamboo Beach Club) but nothing really stood out for Grand Cayman. We were maybe thinking of getting off in this port and "Winging it" Maybe just walk around close to the ship, etc. Is this a good idea? What do you recommend to do close to the ship (walking distance) I think we're maxed on shore excursion funds and looking for a low to no cost alternative at this port.

Suggestions? Comments?

Thanx,
Krunch
Western Caribbean - Freedom - January, 2011
Southern Caribbean - Miracle - November, 2010
Western Caribbean - Liberty - November, 2008
Eastern Caribbean - Valor - October, 2006
Sponsored Links
Old September 15th, 2008, 06:56 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can certainly walk around town after you tender in, there is nice shope, but no great prices here. Be sure to pick up a rum cake, yummy.

Message Boards Moderator
Old September 15th, 2008, 07:54 PM
First Mate

I had the same itinerary as you. The Bamboo Club was a swath of 20 x 20 square foot beach. I did enjoy the "falls" thingy in Jamaica, for lack of a better word. It was a beautiful park. I really enjoyed the Stingray City excursion in Grand Cayman. Walking around town was interesting. So many banks, lol. I went on the Allura to Stingray city. It was a catamaran out to the sandbar. Not great, but good. They took some fantastic pictures, but the boat was a bit jammed for me (too many people). Maybe because of the time of year? I went in March. If you have never been, I suggest getting to Stingray city somehow, there are plenty of different boats to get you out there. You'll be squeamish at first, but you will love it!

Grand Cayman, as Donna said, (she is the wise one) you will not find any bargains here. But I had a great time window shopping!

PS.. I loved the Swim with the Dolphin thing in Cozumel. Cost was big, waiting was tough (in line), but if you have never done it before try it.
Wish I did the Mayan ruins, maybe next time. Let me know how you liked it!

Old September 15th, 2008, 10:45 PM
Beginner

Default Grand Caymen

The best thing to do there is Scuba dive or at the least snorkle. Also if you like Italian food you will find the best italian food especially the spagehtti at a place called Casanovas. It is on the main street that faces the bay where the cruise ships come in, it overlooks the water oceanview. Simply the best italian food ever. Have Fun&& more
Old September 16th, 2008, 09:57 AM
Admiral

on a personal note, i am not a huge fan of booking an all-inclusive beach resort day thru the cruise line, you can usually do it so much cheaper on your own, In Ocho Rios i would highly suggest booking an independant tour that includes Dunns River Falls, we have had a great experience using Peat Taylor - go to his web site, same as his name and check him out.
As for Grand Caymen, as the others have said all that is within walking distance is the main downtown shopping district, no real deals here. IF you have not done the StingRays you really should check it out, it is fun and very interesting, book it on your own and save some $$, we have used Captain Marvins a few times, and really like his operations.

Cozumel - the Mayan Ruins make for a long hot day, bring water, wear light clothing and GOOD walking shoes
Old September 17th, 2008, 09:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

I was in Grand Caymen and Cozumel last October 2007. I loved Grand Caymen! I also agree that StingRay City is the way to go. I did a city tour first, the town of Hell is neat! Get the rum cakes! The boat was crowded, but the sand bar was great..tons of sting rays and an amazing crew. We were in the water about 1 hour. This was booked through the ship on NCL. Make sure to hit Margarittaville for a ice cold drink..Pricey though (2 margaritas in souvenior glass and order of Nachos= $53 USD!!)

In Cozumel I also did the Mayan runis. Way too hot which was the worst thing. Long boat ride, longer bus ride and then dropped off to either walk a mile or take a shuttle to the ruins. They were interesting to see for a brief time, but not for 2 hours. The sun was miserable..bring a hat, sunscreen and water! Bring your own TP and you have to pay for the toilets!!
Norwegian Dream October 2008 (Bermuda)
Norwegian Spirit September 2009 (Bermuda)
Caribbean Princess May 2010 (Caribbean)
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:17 PM
First Mate

Default Pleanty To Do

If you just want to get off the ship and walk around there is pleanty to see. You will be tendered in and dropped off right in town. As previously mentioned, the prices are not that great, but many sites. If you are into scuba diving, this is a great place or even snorkeling.
Old October 20th, 2008, 12:46 AM
Captain

Totally forgot about this post I made. I think however many missed the question I was asking. Things to do for little to no cost. While I appreciate ALL the suggestions, we will be happy window shopping, and not buying if we don't see any value in it, likely buying a rum cake (Is that alcohol that could get confiscated? ) and maybe having some pasts for lunch.

Thanx,
Krunch
Old October 20th, 2008, 03:06 PM
Admiral

Hi Krunch,
No problem with the rum cakes. Buy as many as you want and a couple more. They won't be confiscated.
You mentioned pasts for lunch. If you meant patties, forget it. Grand Cayman is very British and even pasties are not really available. It is a very upscale, touristy port. And expensive. So, walk around, window shop and occasionally you can find some knick-knacks that aren't too expensive. Bought some baskets there for very little. But, plan on lunch back at the ship. Unless, of course, you find something enticing.
I do believe they have a trolley now that isn't too pricey. That's what we intend to do, just to see some areas we might not have noticed before. I've been there too many times, starting in 1982.
Have fun!
Marty
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Captain

Hey colorcraizie,

Someone said above there was good Italian food there? Ah well, just a nice walk taking in the scenery and a few rum cakes will do I guess

Krunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
Hi Krunch,
No problem with the rum cakes. Buy as many as you want and a couple more. They won't be confiscated.
You mentioned pasts for lunch. If you meant patties, forget it. Grand Cayman is very British and even pasties are not really available. It is a very upscale, touristy port. And expensive. So, walk around, window shop and occasionally you can find some knick-knacks that aren't too expensive. Bought some baskets there for very little. But, plan on lunch back at the ship. Unless, of course, you find something enticing.
I do believe they have a trolley now that isn't too pricey. That's what we intend to do, just to see some areas we might not have noticed before. I've been there too many times, starting in 1982.
Have fun!
Marty
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Familiar Face

Send a message via MSN to purpledevilduck
Default Sting Ray City

Grand Cayman was the first stop on my first cruise and I did a shore excursion were went to Sting Ray City. It was AMAZING!!! It was great, an experience I will never forget. I suggest anyone who is going there has to go to Sting Ray City at least once in their life time.
Carnival Valor Sept/Oct 2007
Carnival Freedom Jan 2010
Carnival Liberty Feb 2013