Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 20th, 2008, 06:29 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to do in Progresso

Not the soup.....I dont find alot of information about this port. I find lots abut Merdia. So what do you guys usually do when in Progresso? I like to take photos, history, art and shopping.

Sponsored Links
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:37 PM
Admiral

We went to the nearby ruins of (dziblchatoon - I probably mangled that incredibly). But they were pretty interesting

A Bad Day At Sea [with power] Always Beats A Good Day At Work
Coral Princess - tour starts 5/31 in Fairbanks

Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014
Old October 21st, 2008, 09:51 AM
First Mate

Based upon what you like, I would go to Merida. A very historical city with good shopping. You can rent a car at the port and it is easy to get around, although parking can be difficult to find down town.
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:12 PM
Admiral

The one cruise we took with friends, the wife was very nervous, thinking Mexico was SO dangerous. So I signed up with her to take a tour to Merida from Progresso. She is a history buff and loved it. Went to monastery, then local tour via horse drawn carriage, lunch at a local place. Turned her and her hubby into cruise junkies....always a good thing!
Marty
Old October 22nd, 2008, 06:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to cherylroy

I agree -- to the the ruins - OR a private resort. We went to corona beach last time - dirty - dead fish on the beach - and since its still in the gulf, brown water! I hate progresso!
Old October 23rd, 2008, 06:27 PM
Cruise Maniac

We also went to Dzibilchaltun, it was really interesting. I understand it is much smaller than the more famous ruins at Chichen Itza, but it was also a lot closer and we didn't want to spend five hours on a bus. It was about a 1/2 hour bus ride from the port. Don't book through the ship, there are people on the dock selling tours as soon as you get off the ship for about 1/2 the price. Totally nice, air-conditioned buses.
Old October 23rd, 2008, 07:29 PM
Admiral

I'm a chicken -------- I always book with Carnival 'just in case'......sorry......just me.
Old October 24th, 2008, 10:08 AM
First Mate

Has anyone gone to the beach resort either through the ship or on your own?
I am trying to get info on that because at least they have a pool and supposedly a "clean" beach.
Old October 24th, 2008, 06:22 PM
Admiral

Yes I did the private beach resort tour with carnival. It was great! Good beach (not cozumel, but clean and pretty), Awesome pool! And open bar and food. Good atmosphere and I would do it again!
Old October 28th, 2008, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie
The one cruise we took with friends, the wife was very nervous, thinking Mexico was SO dangerous. So I signed up with her to take a tour to Merida from Progresso. She is a history buff and loved it. Went to monastery, then local tour via horse drawn carriage, lunch at a local place. Turned her and her hubby into cruise junkies....always a good thing!
Marty
Was this through Carnival or a port side tour company...ths sounds like something I would like to do.

Old October 28th, 2008, 10:51 PM
Admiral

I always do my excursions with Carnival - I"m chicken and sure don't want to get left in Progresso, Jamaica - or anywhere. Just my own option. But, yes, through Carnival.
Old October 29th, 2008, 01:41 PM
Admiral

We did the tour through Carnival. I rarely do tours on my own. The vendors have no real incentive to get you back to the ship on time. I only go off on my own if I am very familiar with the port and I never go on one that takes me too far away from the ship on my own. Have been on tours that had mechanical breakdowns and other problems. A ship's tour will contact the ship and they will wait for you. Not the case if you are doing your own.
Just my approach to things.
Marty
P.S. Have some extra vanilla ice cream for me on the lunch stop, if you do this tour. I still fantasize about it...homemade everything.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:56 PM
Admiral

marty - I feel the same way ESPECIALLY in Progresso and Jamaica (those two off the top of my head). I have gone on my own in Cozumel, however. I feel safe there.
Old October 29th, 2008, 09:43 PM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival does not have the 2009 Shore Excursians loaded yet for Progresso. I was going to book the one yall were talking about but its not up yet, I guess I dont have to worry about it selling out if they havent posted them yet!

I actually would do just fine in Jamaica on my own. Since there is no driving involved I am fine. But I dont want to drive in a country that I do not have a DL.

Old October 30th, 2008, 02:01 PM
Admiral

I am not likely to drive outside the US since I don't have a license here! Medical problems. But, even in Cozumel, which I've been to many times, be aware that it is not just safety from locals. They don't maintain their vehicles the way we do. It is harder for them to get parts and they know that it will not be worth the tourists' while to sue them so they don't care a lot.
In Jamaica which I love, physical safety can be an issue, so I will either do a tour through the ship or walk around, but only in areas where there are lots of my fellow tourists. Had to go to a doctor there once (I was staying there, not on a ship) and I never want to do that again. Also had a friend who ended up in a Jamaican jail. They so love getting bail money out of Americans, since they know you won't be coming back for the trial. Just FYI, his bail 20 years ago was $5,000.
Marty
Old October 30th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Admiral

Forgot to mention that the $5K bail was for something that would be a misdemeanor here.
Old November 1st, 2008, 02:07 AM
Passenger

We took a cab from Progresso into Merida. The driver was very good and took us to see some of the highlights of the town. It did help that my DD could speak Spanish since his English was very limited. But we had a blast. We even invited him to go in the ruins with us at our expense. He declined and waited outside til we finished. We had a great time.
Conquest Feb 2009
Old November 3rd, 2008, 11:57 PM
Passenger

Progreso seems to be a nice port for organized tours to Mayan Ruins or the City of Merida...dont expect blue water beaches...there are plenty of beaches but little beach clubs as we saw...but nothing compared to Cozumel Beach Clubs...our thoughts...(we did the all inclusive beach break in Cozumel with cozumel-watersportscom.... a real paradise beach!
Old November 11th, 2008, 12:12 AM
Cruise Maniac

Carnival still has not uploaded thier Shore Excursions for Progresso. But I figured out which one I am going to do. I am taking the city tour and shopping one. I could manange on my own, after all I conquered Paris, Frankfurt, Munich, San Fran, NYC and a few others, but I didnot have to worry about missing a ship, so I figure if I am on one of their SE then they will get me back to the ship in plenty of time.

Has anyone does this SE? After they bring you back to the ship do you have time to see Progresso?

Old January 16th, 2009, 09:19 PM
Passenger

If there is a nice place to take pictures of culture, architecture, etc..it is Progreso and of course Merida, this city has a lot of history and excellent foto opportunities...you will love it!
Old February 14th, 2009, 02:28 AM
Admiral

I would see Chitzen Itza, I went last year and now they are one of the new 7 wonders of the worldN (so you get bragging rights) worth the drive, other wise I would reccomend other Mayan ruins if you like history. Look for photos on webshots dot com. It's amazing to see something that dates back to 600 AD!
Carnival Pride October 2006 (Mexican Rivera)
Carnival Legend 2007 (Western Caribbean)
Carnival Glory 2009 Western Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 2011 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Spirit 2011 Western Caribbean
Carnival Miracle 2012 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 2013 Exotic Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Valor 2014 Southern Caribbean