Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old November 6th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Captain

Default Cayo Levantado

We will be visiting Cayo Levantada in Samana D.R. in Feb. Is this like a private island with beach activities and a BBQ lunch put on by the ship? Or just simply a deserted island? Are there any shore excursions? Any help really appreciated.
Horizon 2000
Summit 2001
Sovereign of the Seas 2003
Noordam 2003
Zenith 2004
Mercury 2005
Princess Sun 2006
Princess Sea 2007
Constellation 2008
Mercury 2009
Constellation 2010

Celebrity Silhouette
Sponsored Links
Old November 6th, 2008, 01:16 PM
Admiral

Cayo Levatano is a small island off of Samana D. R. You'll have to check with your ship if this excursions is available.

This is the write up I saw on the island.

Cayo Levantado

This island, though choked with tourists, has a beautiful white-sand beach. Due to the island’s protected positioning in the bay, the waters are calm, shallow with a plush sandy bottom, and warm. This is an enjoyable place to take the family.

It’s easiest to obtain a ride to Cayo Levantado by going directly to the Port of Samaná, where boats will take you there for US$5–10 per person. Alternatively, about 10 minutes from town up the Carretera Las Galeras, on the right-hand side, is a parking lot with a big sign that says Al Cayo; here you can make a deal to go to either Cayo Levantado or to Los Haitises. Along the same route, farther up the hill and on the right, is another boat-launching point called Simi Baez. A fair price for these boats to ask is US$25–30 per boatload (eight people). Make sure you agree on the price before boarding.

After disembarking on Cayo Levantado, follow the crowd to the left and you’ll eventually see dozens of booths selling crafts; past there is a beach where you can rent loungers for US$3. Food vendors sell ice-cold beers (US$3) and plates of freshly fried fish with rice and salad for US$9. Beware: The trinket-hawkers are everywhere and rather persistent. In 2005, there were no hotels on the island, but plans and construction have begun for one.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old January 11th, 2009, 08:13 AM
Passenger

Odd to hear they are planning a hotel . . . I stayed at a Villa at the resort on the island about 15 years ago (maybe a little longer?). They must have torn it down! There are 2 other beaches, a private cove at the rear of the island down a steep path, and a larger beach if you walk to the right instead of the left from the dock. That other beach was clothing optional back then.
Old January 29th, 2009, 05:25 PM
Passenger

I got my hair cut today in preparation for our cruise. Browsing a travel mag I saw a listing for a major luxury resort on Cayo Levantado. So no, it is not a desert island!
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:49 PM
Admiral

Not sure what line you are on but I do know that if with MSC there is a charge for the lunch. The lunch is done by the rersort and not by MSC.
Cruise passengers are only allowed to go the left when they get off the tender. And is is not easy to try to get to the resort area.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014