Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:51 AM
Captain

Default GrandCayman question...what else is there to do!

Ok, been here before, but we just hung around the terminal area, ate etc, and went to Capt marvins for stingray/snorkling.

We want to do Capt Marvins again, so my son can experience it, andhe is awsome and cheap anyway, however instead of 2 snorkling areas PLUS the stingrays i want to do one snorkle trip plus stingrays, because we'd be done by 11am.

Now we think we'd like to visit a nice beach or something for a couple of hours, any suggestions. We're not interested in hell (been there) or the turtle farms (seen it,, but never inside)

What great way can we spend 2 hours besides shopping.
Sponsored Links
Old December 12th, 2008, 09:41 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You can grab a cab and hang out at 7 Mile Beach for a few hours. The cab drivers know where to drop the cruise passengers and can return for you at a certain time..

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 12th, 2008, 11:48 PM
Admiral

There doesn't appear to be much to do in Grand Cayman outside of the water. I had the same problem last year. Previously had been to Hell & Turtle Farm, so I took the Jeep adventure tour. It was fun, BUT driving on the wrong side of the road was perilous.....at least with MY driving.

Read and post cruise reviews

/ticker.png">
Old December 13th, 2008, 11:49 AM
First Mate

Visit the Bernard K Passman gallery - his work in black coral is absolutely amazing.
05/03 Smokefree Paradise
08/04 Smokefree Paradise (8 days due to Francis)
01/07 Carnival Liberty
11/07 Carnival Freedom Transatlantic
05/08 Carnival Liberty
12/09 Carnival Pride
06/10 Carnival Glory
Old December 13th, 2008, 12:38 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I agree. We rented a car there once and there was nothing to see. It is just a flat piece of sand in the middle of the ocean.

7-mile beach would be good for swimming the afternoon away, or just spend more time with the stingrays.
Old December 13th, 2008, 03:39 PM
Admiral

The 7 mile beach is a nice place to be. It is a short taxi ride from the pier. The water is very warm and clear. Also there are public places on the beach that are not very crowded.

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:30 PM
Cruise Maniac

A friend of mine just returned from the Imagination and she said when they went to Grand Cayman they had to wait 2 1/2 hours in line just to get on a boat to go to the island they got to spend 2 1/2 hours on the island and then had to be back to stand in line for another 2 1/2 hours just to get back on the ship.

This was her first cruise and she was soooooo unhappy I told her not to base her opinion on this cruise. Especially since she said she would never cruise again.

Old December 14th, 2008, 03:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched
A friend of mine just returned from the Imagination and she said when they went to Grand Cayman they had to wait 2 1/2 hours in line just to get on a boat to go to the island they got to spend 2 1/2 hours on the island and then had to be back to stand in line for another 2 1/2 hours just to get back on the ship.

This was her first cruise and she was soooooo unhappy I told her not to base her opinion on this cruise. Especially since she said she would never cruise again.
Wow! When I went to Grand Cayman we got off the ship pretty fast. Grand Cayman has pretty big tender boats. Was there a lot of ships there that day, so the ship only had a few tenders to use??

Past Cruises:
Carnival Ecstasy (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2003
Carnival Pride (7 Day Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Spirit (8 Day Exotic Mexican Riviera) 2007
Carnival Freedom (7 Day Western Caribbean) 2008
Carnival Elation (4 Day Baja Mexico) 2009
Carnival Spirit (7 Day Southbound Alaska) 2009
Old December 14th, 2008, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Depending on how manay ships are in port, as we found out on our CM Century cruise, this island can get shoulder to shoulder. I think we had 7 ships in. Either enjoy the ship, or head to 7 mile Beach.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old December 15th, 2008, 12:02 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched

That's tendering for you ! Sometimes it goes well.....sometimes not.

/ticker.png">
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:05 PM
Passenger

When we went to Grand Cayman we rented a car and went to seven mile beach and went parasailing off the beach there. It was a nice relaxing experience. Then we drove to cemetary beach. A secluded, non touristy, great place to snorkel!
Old December 17th, 2008, 12:11 PM
Admiral

Margaritaville!!!
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat
Old December 21st, 2008, 08:06 AM
Passenger

Grand Cayman was our first port on our very first cruise a few years back. We didn't book an excursion and just decided to figure it out once on land. We ended up renting a moped/scooter and had a blast. We went all over the island and at one point we stopped to rest. The locals came out of their homes to offer help because they thought we had broken down. They were such nice people and we chatted about the hurricane that had just been through there the year prior. My husband played soccer with some of the children. It really made our experience of Cayman one to remember. The beach did look wonderful there. As far as tendering...it was a horrible for us. Not anyone's fault but mother nature. The waves were crashing over the tenders in port in upwards of 20 feet (not exaggerating) and all the ships in port had to turn to form a line to buffer the waves coming into shore so the passengers could get back to the ship. the windows in the tender boats were breaking from being slammed around...very scary. We left almost 4 hours late from the port.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:03 PM
Passenger

I would definitely recommend Cemetary Beach, it's on the way to Boatswain's {the Turtle Farm} and admission/parking is free. It's a quick walk past a cemetary {which the beach is aptly named after} and then a shady, gorgeous signature Cayman beach. Bring a cooler, a mask and snorkel, and some fins. It's great for shallow snorkeling. But if you like to duck-dive, like me, swim a hundred or so yards offshore and you get to the real spur and groove coral reef.

Hope that helped!

‚ô•Remy