Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 9th, 2009, 09:24 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to misguidedangel
Default Jamaican Bobsled--input needed

Greetings all, I am really interested in the Jamaican Bobseigh experience at Mystic Mountain for my cruise in April. I do want to hear from people who have tried it.

I also want to know, cuz the video I've seen doesn't show it, how you get back to the top and if it is like a regular roller coaster where you have to wait in line for another turn....

Also, where does one leave their bags/belongings, cuz I always have my beach bag with me and there doesn't look like much space in the bobsleigh...

DO tell all, I want to know!!!!

Thanks!

1991 Holiday
2007 Victory & Triumph
2008 Conquest & Liberty
2009 Valor, Freedom, and Splendor
2010 Glory and Liberty
2011 Glory

I gotta go where it's warm.....

Over 40 victim of fate.....
Sponsored Links
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Admiral

I got one thing to say here.

Cool Runnings, Mon!

Sorry, couldn't resist. From my understanding it should be one of the more unique and fun tours, a bit of history and a bit of activity.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:59 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Bobsled Info

Calling all rollercoaster enthusiasts and adventure seekers…you will love this new thrill ride, the Jamaica Bobsled.

On this excursion you will:

Board an air conditioned shuttle bus for the short drive to Mystic Mountain.
Arrive and ride the Sky Explorer chairlift for a picturesque 15-minute ride through the tropical canopy to the top station.
Enjoy a few minutes here browsing the interactive displays which showcase Jamaica’s history, culture and the story of Jamaica’s original bobsled team that competed in the 1988 and 1992 Winter Olympics.
Listen to an orientation and safety briefing. Board your bobsled for an exhilarating ride.
“Fly” down the mountain and through the lush tropical forest on a specially built Jamaica Bobsled and raised track; the ride features a gravity-driven plunge of 3,280 feet with twists and turns as you make your way through the tropical forest!
Control the speed of your descent with an in-sled hand brake, allowing for either a leisurely ride or a pulse quickening dive to the bottom of the mountain.
Stop, then you and the bobsled are slowly raised back to the top of the mountain on an elevated tramway.
Spend as much time as you desire at the top admiring the panoramic views, swimming in the infinity edge pool, or enjoying a tasty snack from the restaurant; when you are ready to depart, simply hop on the Sky Explorer back to the bottom where a shuttle will take you back to the ship.
Note: Minimum height is 46 inches. Children must be at least 8 years old to ride the Bobsled unaccompanied by an adult. Food and beverages are available for purchase at the restaurant. Pregnant women and guests with back/neck injuries or heart conditions are not permitted on this excursion. Additional Bobsled rides can be purchased at the park. Closed-toe shoes are recommended. Bring a swimsuit and towel if you plan on swimming in the pool.

This was taken from the Shore Excursion page at Carnival. After the ride is over, you and the sled are raised back to the top. From what I gather, you only get one ride as it says additional rides can be purchased. Hope I'm wrong on this point. Would hope they have lockers too. Doing this and the climb of the Falls with my kids when we are on Liberty at end of May. My son just had to do it, it does look fun. Seen a video of the bobsled on You Tube. Hoped this helped.

Turn off your mind, relax, and float downstream

Jubilee July '86
Celebration May '88
Fantasy June '90
Sovereign of the Seas May '93
Windjammer Polynesia June '06
Carnival Triumph May '07
Carnival Freedom Dec.'07
Carnival Imagination Oct.'08
Carnival Destiny Dec.'08
Carnival Liberty May '09
Carnival Freedom Nov.'09
Old April 6th, 2009, 03:13 PM
Admiral

And rent the movie "Cool Running" and watch it before you go. It is a great movie and will give you an idea of how this all came to be.
Marty