Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 18th, 2009, 12:48 AM
Beginner

Default Sting Ray City in GC with kids???

It looks like Sting Ray City is a must in GC but we will have 2 kiddos ages 2 and 6. Is this excursion doable with them? Will they have to stay in the boat or is there somewhere they can get out? What about life jackets? Do we need to bring our own or is child-size jackets provided? TIA!
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2009, 08:43 AM
Beginner

bumpin' up....anybody??
Old May 18th, 2009, 02:41 PM
Admiral

I'll try to answer. I would definitely not take a 2 year old. The water is not deep for an adult, but kids are a different story. And, you get on and off the boat via a ladder. Not easy to do with kids in tow. No idea re. lifejackets. I'm really not sure that they would even allow young children on this tour. It is a great thing to do, but not designed for kids. Why not consider whatever kid's program the cruise line provides for a couple of hours while you go? It is a relatively short tour.
Marty
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:18 PM
Beginner

That's what I was afraid of....I have a feeling we may run into that with many of the shore excursions. Does anyone have any other suggestions about shore excursions with a 2yo and 6yo? I would be OK leaving my 6yo with the kid's club but not my baby. Our destinations are GC, Ocho rios and Grand Turk. I would appreciate any input as this is our first cruise!
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:20 PM
Admiral

There are plenty of excursions that are fine for kids. The submarine in Grand Cayman might be a better choice. You do need to walk down a short, but steep set of stairs, but it would be simple for one adult to go down them, then have the other hand the baby down. Jamaica, I haven't been there recently enough to know. Grand Turk doesn't have much other than water oriented activities, but the island tour would be safe, then hang out at the complex by the ship.
Anyone else have some ideas...I'm fresh out.
Marty
Old May 25th, 2009, 08:50 AM
Cruise Maniac

We have taken our children from the time they were babies to stingray city. However, when our daughter was an infant, we took turns in the water and one would stay on the boat. Once she was over a year, we took her in the water but she was on our back or shoulders so she could see and we had her swim vest on her so we could put her down away from the stingrays.

The Buccaneer Stingray City Catamaran is a great option and kids 3 and under are free. I would bring your own life vest for the kids, they will be more comfortable and they are cheap too buy.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:05 PM
Admiral

another great tour operator in Grand Cayman is Captain Marvin, go to his web-site you can chat live with an associate who will be able to answer alot of your questions.
in Ocho Rios i would suggest a beach day, alot of the resorts offer an all-day all inclusive package. Your kids are too young to do Dunns River Falls unless you just want to climb the stairs not the falls and watch the people.
Old May 26th, 2009, 02:06 PM
Admiral

another great tour operator in Grand Cayman is Captain Marvin, go to his web-site you can chat live with an associate who will be able to answer alot of your questions.
in Ocho Rios i would suggest a beach day, alot of the resorts offer an all-day all inclusive package. Your kids are too young to do Dunns River Falls unless you just want to climb the stairs not the falls and watch the people.
Old May 28th, 2009, 08:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

On the weekend, I saw a travel chanel show about the RCI Navigator...they showed the stingrays, and interactions with them...check your listings, to catch a rerun....will give you an idea of what to expect..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator