Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 16th, 2010, 06:49 PM
First Mate

Question Tips? - Grand Cayman & Roatan

Looking for tips on what to do in Grand Cayman and Roatan.
Sponsored Links
Old February 16th, 2010, 07:18 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi BB,
If you only do one thing in Grand Cayman, it would be to snorkel with the Sting Rays, an awesome excursion. You can book either through the cruiseline or independently, but just do it!

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 16th, 2010, 08:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In Grand Cayman, you can do the turtle farm, go to Hell, shop around town, book one of the party boats, or as Donna mentioned, visit Stingray City, the most popular tour in this port.

In Roatan, this is a rusttic port, with snorkeling being quite popular.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 18th, 2010, 08:41 PM
Captain

Our cruise in Jan went to both locations you asked about. In Cayman we did the StingRay, turtle farm & Hell tour for the 4th time. I can't go to Cayman and not go visit my stingray friends. Did this tour through an independent company and it was the best trip we've had there.
In Roatan when we got off the ship I stopped at Victor Boden's booth to see what kind of deal I could get. Well this was the best thing we could have done. We had a wonderful guide, Frankie, who took us on a tour of the island. We had told him we wanted to go to a beach and it needed to have a bar & facilities. He took us to a wonderful place called The Beach Club. It cost us $5.00 each but so worth it and more. We were each given what I would call a twin size mattress (vinyl covered) that leaned against a wooden frame. We spent about 3 hours lying on a bed on the beach. Had our own private waiter who took very good care of us. There were 4 of us and we each had at least 2 drinks, lunch (which was wonderful) and our total bill was $50.00. This was the best money we spent on the entire cruise. We are now looking into going to Roatan for a week in the future.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old February 19th, 2010, 11:44 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I say go to sting Ray city - it is the original sting ray experience.

Hell (a rocky place with no paths or anything) is good for about 5 minutes. The turtle farm is about as exciting as watching grass grow.
Old February 19th, 2010, 12:29 PM
Admiral

Cool Grand Caymans

Would you believe I snatched the best bargains in my collectibles in Grand Caymans..Royal Crown Derby paperweights that were long sought after by other collectors I could trade one of them for two or three in one case..Life was good for this shopaholic.. Going back in two months on the Soltice...