Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 15th, 2010, 10:30 PM
Beginner

Default Renting Cars in Cozumel and Progresso

Can you rent cars State side for those ports or do you have to rent them there.
Sponsored Links
Old May 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

In these ports you may want to investigate renting jeeps, which you can do in port...You can go off road...Not sure the need is there in these particular ports to rent a car.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 20th, 2010, 01:48 PM
Admiral

Also, there are some risks involved in renting any motorized vehicle in Mexico. Your regular car insurance does not cover you at all. More critical is the fact that they do not maintain things the way we do here. The cruise ships arrange tours with the ones they know have decent standards. But, doing it on your own, you risk having a breakdown or even an accident. I know of several people who have had bad experiences. So, just be aware of the risks. And, I agree with Trip that there really isn't much of a need to do this in those 2 ports.
Marty
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:20 PM
Admiral

Unhappy Renting Cars/Jeeps in Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by colorcrazie View Post
Also, there are some risks involved in renting any motorized vehicle in Mexico. Your regular car insurance does not cover you at all. More critical is the fact that they do not maintain things the way we do here. The cruise ships arrange tours with the ones they know have decent standards. But, doing it on your own, you risk having a breakdown or even an accident. I know of several people who have had bad experiences. So, just be aware of the risks. And, I agree with Trip that there really isn't much of a need to do this in those 2 ports.
Marty
Remember one thing. if your in an accident your "guilty" before even having a trial and are likely to be jailed in Mexico for an indefinite period.
Old May 21st, 2010, 08:23 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Not so much in the islands, but in Mexico, I would rather let someone else do the driving......

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old May 21st, 2010, 08:33 PM
Admiral

Default Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Not so much in the islands, but in Mexico, I would rather let someone else do the driving......
Trip.... I think it's called the "napoleonic law" and there are horror stories of people unfairly kept in prison. We did rent a jeep many, many years ago to disco ver the undeveloped part of Cozumel (we were there for a week) and you can bet that i sweated it out until the jeep was returned... oh yes.. had problems with shifting... but we found a beach where the crews from the ships hung out.no tourist mobs like the San Francisco
Old September 1st, 2010, 11:30 AM
Beginner

Default La mordida and police corruption

Don't forget of the practice known as la mordida and the extent of police corruption. Yesterday Mexico fired 10% of all of their police, and more firings to come, for corruption related to the drug war underway. Many of those fired are expected to join criminal gangs. So, I fear that you will be seeing even more efforts to scam tourists (don't forget of the kidnappings going on everywhere).
Old December 1st, 2010, 03:46 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim L Scheffer View Post
Can you rent cars State side for those ports or do you have to rent them there.
Tim You can rent the cars there in Cozumel.I have done so about a half dozen times over the last few years.They are very competitive and I usually get a small a/c car for about 50 dollars ,go all around the car and note any dings or scratches.Then you are off Cozumel is an island and you cant get lost you can loop to the point where the lighthouse is and go to Bob Marleys,follow along back behind and there are small cabanas where you can eat fresh ceviche and watch the waves -an enjoyable afternoon.Stop at a gas station on the way in and refill the tank or pay double when you return it.I have not rented in Progresso but did in Calica and drove to Tulum With no problem .With things as they are now in Mexico I would think twice about that one though Cozumel is very safe.Good luck and have fun
Old December 1st, 2010, 04:32 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Very difficult to rent stateside for Cozumel and impossible for Progreso. Not a problem renting at the port though. I have rented both jeeps and sedans at both places depending on how many people in our group. Rented three different times in Progreso and had great trips. Yes be sure to refill before returning as they will charge a huge fee for gasoline used.

Good luck.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.