Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old June 4th, 2010, 04:36 PM
Passenger

Default Stingray City - Grand Cayman

Going on our first cruise in 2 weeks. Has anyone used Captain Crosby for his stingray city excursion? I thought I saw him recommended somewhere but now can't figure out where. He does have some good, fairly recent comments on Trip Advisor. We had to call him twice so far - once to book when he said that he would send us an email to confirm but never did and the other call was to confirm the excursion since he never sent us an email. Being a neurotic, type A trip planner that just deons't give me a warm and fuzzy. He told my husband to "call him when we get to the pier" and he would come and pick us up. Is that standard? Am I just over reacting?
Sponsored Links
Old June 5th, 2010, 05:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Since this is a tender port, what is the time frame of his excursion? Hopefully, you've allowed plenty of time to get a tender back to the ship. If its close, I'd use the ship's excursion, but if you've got time to spare, you just need to keep track of time.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 5th, 2010, 07:28 AM
Passenger

The excursion times on his website are at 10:00 AM and 2:00 PM but he can be flexible depending what time you arrive in port. Regardless, we would do the morning trip. The ship leaves Grand Cayman at 4:30 pm so I think timing wise we would be ok. How long does it typically take too get to back and forth if you tender? I'm just worried that we'll get to the port and call him and he won't show up. Being the type A planner I'll of course have a backup plan but will then have to explain to my son why we aren't swimming with the stingrays.
Old July 1st, 2010, 12:51 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just a word of caution with Captain Crosby. We tried his tour about 4 or 5 years ago and you had to take a taxi to his boat location. Not only did it cost a fortune but we ended up having to walk about a mile to get to the boat and almost missed trip. The tour itself was ok but we preferred the Buccaneer catamaran and they pick you up right at the cruise ship port

Just make sure you find out exactly how to get to his boat and how much the taxi's will charge you. I think we paid about $6-7 per person each way. The price sounded too good to be true;-)
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:43 AM
Admiral

i can't give a recommendation one way or the other about Captain Crosby, haven't used him. I can tell you that when it comes to tendering we always allow an hour from the time we get in line for the tender to the time we dock and get to the excursion office.
Old July 1st, 2010, 08:46 AM
Passenger

We actually went last week. We did have to take a cab but were lucky b/c the guy that took us left his number and when we were close Captain Crosby called him and he was waiting there to pick us up. So that all worked out. To me the price wasn't bad - $18 for the three of us each way.

We ended up having just us and Captain Crosby so it was like our own private charter - which worked out b/c my son freaked out when the stingrays started swimming around him so we didn't stay long and ended up doing more snorkling instead.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 11:06 AM
Admiral

glad to know it all worked out for yo