Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:37 PM
Familiar Face

Cool Bay Island Airways Seaplane tour, Roatan, Honduras

Howdy Folks,

Just wanted to let you know about the Seaplane tour my Daughter and I took back in July. We had learned of this from the boards here on CC and it was BETTER than we imagined.

First step was to contact Bay Island Airways by using their website @ Bay Island Airways after establishing when and where the ship would dock we made a plan with the very nice Heather Donnelly.

We decided to do the Pigeon Keys snorkel trip. What could be better than flying out to some remote tiny islands, snorkel for an hour and a half, and then fly back. Sounded like fun and I wanted my Daughters first airplane flight to be VERY SPECIAL!

Then it was time to board the Carnival Dream for our week long adventure. We had a blast in Cozumel then it was on to Roatan for my Daughters and I dream flight.

There was just one catch... the weather was a little crazy and the Captain decided to flip flop Belize and Roatan port stops... Uh oh, I had to get a hold of Heather and advise her of the switch and see if we could move out the flight to the next day. Good thing we switched ports as Heather informed us that we couldn't fly that day anyway. So we were on our new schedule and good to go!

We had one more hitch, Heather was expecting us to dock in Mahogany Bay but Mr. Captain changed plans and docked in Coxen Hole. Another call to Heather and we got that straightened out! Skype is a must!

So my Daughter and I get off of the Dream at Coxen Hole and head out the gates to find Heather waiting for us. After a brief walk, we get in her Jeep and she drives us through Roatan to the Fantasy Island Resort where they keep the Seaplane. Once there we meet our pilot, Clay Donnelly (Heather's husband) and prep for taking off. Clay informed us that there might be some weather that prevents us from landing at Pigeon Keys and if that was still OK. I told him that was fine just fly us around until our money ran out.

After taking off we headed out toward the North end of Roatan, seeing little villages and homes on private islands we were on our way to the Pigeon Keys.

A thunderstorm was brewing over the Keys so it was a no go. I wasn't looking forward to braving the rain in an open cockpit seaplane so there was no argument from me. We did do a fly by to see the Keys up close.

We then headed South over the backside of the Island and saw the shallows where some Nurse Sharks were swimming. The pics didn't turn out but it was cool to see.

We headed over the top of Roatan and back to the Paradise Island Resort. We saw the Dream in the distance as well as the other Carnival ship at Mahogany Bay.

Even though we were in the air for about one and a half hours, it went by too quickly. Clay took us back to the Coxen Hole and bid us Farewell.

If you like flying you will love taking a flight with Bay Island Airways. Definitely the best way to see Roatan as you can see from the pics.
Sponsored Links
Old December 16th, 2010, 07:38 PM
Familiar Face

Old December 16th, 2010, 10:15 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Great photos.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old December 17th, 2010, 10:20 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Great Pictures

Wow, what awesome pictures from the Seaplane. Great photography. I've gotta tell you that in the 10 years we've lived on Roatan, the Seaplane excursion around the island and out to Pigeon Cay was the best activity we've ever done. They even did a double fly-by of our house so we could get pictures (not as good as these though). Clay or his father-in-law Bob fly you close enough to the water to see every nook and cranny of the island. I'd also recommend it to any tourist or resident.
Castaways 01
Dive - Snorkel - Kayak: Roatan's Best Vacation Rental
Old December 19th, 2010, 12:38 PM
Familiar Face

Thanks everyone! The bad part is cruise ships never stay long enough in one port for you to do everything (except Bermuda) you want.
Old January 26th, 2012, 10:40 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Sorry they crashed

Old January 26th, 2012, 06:07 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

Wow

Good eye catching the story and remembering this thread.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Carnival Triumph-Caribbean-7/28/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014, Navigator of the Seas-12/14/2013, Norwegian Jewel-1/3/2015, Emerald Princess-1/11/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/2/2015, Carnival Freedom-2/15/2015.
Old January 27th, 2012, 06:50 AM
Familiar Face

Unhappy

Yikes! Seems like they pulled down their website as well. Hope the couple the family that flew is ok...