Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old February 18th, 2011, 02:44 AM
Admiral

Default Another question about excursions, this time for disembarkation.

It has occurred to me that on my upcoming cruise on the Caribbean Princess, during the stop at Aruba, I will have to change from my dive clothes into horseback riding appropriate clothes. Would I be able to reboard the ship then disembark again while in port? This is the first time this problem has occurred for me. I am doing some open water certification referral dives independently in the morning on the day in Aruba, then doing a trail ride in the afternoon. Please advise on this problem.
Sponsored Links
Old February 18th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

What is your time frame between the diving and the horseback riding? If you have the time, its super easy to board again, change clothes and even grab a bit of lunch...If you have the time, re-boarding and getting off doesn't require much time, expecially in a port with not having to tender.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:15 PM
Admiral

Exclamation Reboarding between excursions

Yes, as Donna says, there is no problem whatsoever with reboarding, changing clothes, grabbing a snack, and then disembarking again. BUT talk it over with the Shore Excursion desk to make sure you have sufficient time between excursions. They usually start boarding an excursion maybe 15 minutes before departure time.

Honestly, if you have less than an hour between excursions I would be a bit antsy about trying to reboard between them. You have to get off one bus, go through security (which is not like airports, but still takes a few minutes), wait for the elevator, walk the length of the ship to your cabin, change, walk the length of the ship back, check out at the disembarkation, and then find your bus for the second excursion. None of this is any significant problem, but the little bits of time can add up.

Frankly I hate to rush about while I am "playing rich." I much prefer to have ample time to move in a leisurely fashion.

YMMV

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old February 18th, 2011, 01:17 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Bottom line is you can get on and off the ship, while she's docked in a port of call, as many times as you like.

If you don't have an excursion booked, you could spend the whole day walking off and on the ship
Old February 19th, 2011, 04:18 AM
Admiral

Assuming my dive boat that morning doesn't run late getting back, I should have roughly an hour before the horseback riding excursion I booked through Princess. The reason I wanted to go back to my stateroom is to quickly change out of my wetsuit and wet clothes into something dry and grab my riding gear(riding boots(Ariat Terrain boots. very nice and double nicely as a hiking boot as well for around $90.....I definitely recommend them to any cruiser who likes to do any kind of excursion that has a good hike, especially off road hikes, to them) and helmet(required for safety).
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:24 PM
Admiral

Talking Quick change

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad813 View Post
Assuming my dive boat that morning doesn't run late getting back, I should have roughly an hour before the horseback riding excursion I booked through Princess. The reason I wanted to go back to my stateroom is to quickly change out of my wetsuit and wet clothes into something dry and grab my riding gear(riding boots(Ariat Terrain boots. very nice and double nicely as a hiking boot as well for around $90.....I definitely recommend them to any cruiser who likes to do any kind of excursion that has a good hike, especially off road hikes, to them) and helmet(required for safety).
You should have time to do that if you move promptly. As those are active excursions I assume you have good mobility and can boogie down the halls with alacrity! Lunch might be problematic, though. Suggestion, maybe you want to grab some bread and lunch meat from the breakfast buffet and leave it on your dresser wrapped in a napkin so you can eat quickly while you change.

Another thought is that the dive facility might have change rooms, but I don't know if you want to risk your boots and helmet in a dive locker!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 3rd, 2011, 04:10 PM
Admiral

Not fond of risking either in a locker. I have a nice helmet(Troxel) and nice boots(Ariat Terrain, which make great hikers too). If I don't think I can fit it in I may switch the dive to the day before in Bonaire. I am much more fond of wrecks, but whatever it takes to certify.
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:27 AM
First Mate

Default make it another day

My advice is to enjoy one activity a day without rushing as anything can go wrong as in boat problem, drive back to the ship. Depending on the port's own security check which looks like a mini airport security station, you might have a lot of other passengers in front of you trying to get back to their ships.
Cheers
Web site: http://robbarcruises.wordpress.com/
Old March 4th, 2011, 01:41 PM
Admiral

This is my second cruise, but I have also found dive operators to be significantly less expensive on Bonaire so I got that worked out.