Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:52 PM
Familiar Face

Default Rome Excurisons on RCCL -- Help

So little time but so much to see and do. We would like to see
  1. The Spanish Steps
    The Forum
    The Colosseum
    Pantheon
    Trevi Fountain
    St Peters and the Sistine Chapel
    and eat a nice lunch

My problem -- I don't know if I am confident enough to try to conquer this list on my own with my two bff's in the world who couldn't find their way out of a paper bag in 6.5 hours. So, what do people recommend.

On our own -- 6.5 hours aprx.
A Taste of Rome 2.5 hours independent have to eat lunch on our own and rest of the time is spent at St Peters
Discovery Renaissance Rome -- Spanish Steps, Trevi Fountain, Pantheon, St Peters. Lunch on our own 1 1/4 at Piazza Navona and 45 free time at St Peters
Imperial Rome -- Trevi Fountain, Roman Forum, Colosseum, Lunch and St Peters. 30 minutes free time.
Rome, The Eternal City -- St Peters, Sistine Chapel, and Colosseum, lunch provided

Anyone want to give their 2 cents?
Sponsored Links
Old March 24th, 2011, 10:37 AM
Admiral

Hi there, there are a couple of hop-on/hop-off bus operators in Rome covering nearly all the sights so you may want to take a look at them.

The main downsides are that they get very busy, and tourists aren't very good at queueing, so that & the fact that they run in quite a large loop means you should plan ahead & make sure you are back at the train/coach in plenty of time for the return journey to the ship.

We would normally look at their websites, download their maps & decide what we want to see, then work out the best way to get from each drop off point, i.e. can I walk past 3 or 4 sights & pick up the bus from that location instead of walking back to the point you were dropped at.
Once we know what we want to see, we try to make certain that we do the furthest sights first, so that we are getting closer & closer to the ship meeting point.

Hope that gives you some food for thought.

Alan & Katrina

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey
Old March 24th, 2011, 07:01 PM
Familiar Face

Default Thanks Alan

Why hadn't I thought about that option. DUH!
Old March 25th, 2011, 08:37 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxysunshine View Post
Why hadn't I thought about that option. DUH!

But if you had I wouldn't have been able to help, then what would I do all day at work

Alan

History :
Golden, Grand(2), Caribbean, Sea(4+1 aborted)
Adonia(4+2), Arcadia, Artemis(2), Aurora(5), Azura(2), Oceana(3), Oriana(11), Ventura(2), Victoria(5)
QM2(2), QE2(9), QV(5), QE, Caronia(2), Minerva II, Fred.Olsen(8), NCL Jade, =X= Eclipse, HAL Ryndam, Aza.Journey