Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old April 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM
Familiar Face

Default Shoretrips.com or similar to them?

Hey Ya'll! Cougar Cruise coming right up and of course we put off excursion planning till the very last minute. But of course everybody has 22 new bikinis and 18 new pairs of flip flops.

I digress..... We have stops in Roatan, Belize City, Costa Maya and Cozumel and I love the idea that I can book with one company for any and all ports (Shoretrips.com). Are there any other companies like this out there that you've tried or heard of? The cruise ship's prices are just too high...

Thanks ya'll!
Sponsored Links
Old April 15th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

portpromotions.com
Old April 24th, 2011, 06:10 PM
Familiar Face

You can arrange your entire itinerary with Major Tom at cave-tubing.net in Belize - they've been at supplying independent tours on the Western Caribbean Route over the past 20 years, and of course, give you twice the fun for just about half the ship's price, or definately far less !!
Old April 25th, 2011, 03:03 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up shoretrips.com

We have used shoretrips.com in the Caribbean with good success. I recommend them.

Another place we just used with good success is toursbylocals.com. The tours are more custom designed which means more research and work on your part but it worked out very well for us.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old May 7th, 2011, 05:56 PM
Familiar Face

We used used actionboysbelize.com. They are fun are safety is their #1 priority.
Old October 31st, 2011, 08:39 AM
Welcome Newcomer

I recently spent over $300 with shoretrips for the exact islands that you are going to. Booked "serenity on a Roatan Beach" and it was not serene. We were harassed by locals trying to sell us anything from sunglasses made in China to wooden bowls to young teenage women trying to sell us message for $20! When I say harassed, we couldn't get a 2 minute break from them! Even when we were in the water, they approached us.

Then, we went on a snorkel tour at Goff's Caye. A mere spot of an island with scattered palm trees, mangroves and a covered structure for bbq's. The 30+ minute ride out was very rough and very fast, and the boat did not have a cabin either. It was pretty, but it was not as described.

For Costa Maya, again the description/instructions were not correct. When we finally got to our destination beach, we were again harassed by locals, but not as many because this particular beach was on the outskirts of beaches.

I contacted Shore Trips, and then received this response: "Sadly independent countries like Belize and Honduras (and Mexico to a certain factor) have these problems. There is no controlling it other than not booking a vacation to those destinations. Much more poverty in the western Caribbean nations than those in the eastern Caribbean that are still getting support from foreign governments. We get the same thing in Europe when people travel to places like Turkey and notice all the peddling that occurs there compared to Italy or Greece. It’s something we battle with in every part of the world.

Sam Karp
ShoreTrips"

I have gone on over 10 cruises, 8 in the last 4 years. I have seen a positive progression in excursion companies in the way that they are getting business. If you can wait until absolute last minute, such as arriving into port, then you will find a whole litany of tour companies just waiting for you. Look for them to carry signs, and most of them will have ID badges with picture and name. Carry cash with you for an extra bargaining tool. Sometimes when you get to port and the weather is ugly and you are confirmed on a day at the beach and you want to change up, if you wait till last minute, you can do this. When you book with people like shore trips, you have to go or lose that money.

As you can see from what Sam said: if you don't want to go through this, don't go. When you peruse through their web site note the following: no negative postings whatsoever about their excursions. You are not allowed to post anything. It has to go through them first, and that means either they are making it up or they are editing what people are sending to them. We booked a horseback ride in St. Kitts through them 2 years ago and we were the only ones on the tour with the guide. It was far rougher than the description, but fortunately my husband and I handled it very well.

There is lots to choose from out there, so choose well. Happy cruising.
Old October 31st, 2011, 12:43 PM
Admiral

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingurl View Post
We were harassed by locals trying to sell us anything from sunglasses made in China to wooden bowls to young teenage women trying to sell us message for $20!

[Costa Maya] ... When we finally got to our destination beach, we were again harassed by locals, but not as many because this particular beach was on the outskirts of beaches.

...I contacted Shore Trips, and then received this response: "Sadly independent countries like Belize and Honduras (and Mexico to a certain factor) have these problems. There is no controlling it ...

Sam Karp
ShoreTrips"

...If you can wait until absolute last minute, such as arriving into port, then you will find a whole litany of tour companies just waiting for you.
I am a bit baffled by this post. Somehow you feel that Shoretrips or the guide was responsible for the importunate vendors you encountered?

I believe the response from Mr. Karp is precisely right. Many countries do not control vendors, and due to extreme poverty there are hordes of them. The shore excursion company has no control over it.

Somehow you think that if you had just walked off the ship and booked with a vendor there the situation would have been better? I don't think so.

A bit of advice for you: Do NOT go to Egypt, Morocco, Indonesia or many other places that are wonderful tourist attractions but in poverty stricken countries. If you think you were harassed in Central America, you will not believe what happens there!

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old December 5th, 2011, 09:49 PM
Admiral

Why are names of shore excursion companies permissable to be posted but not Travel Agents companies ?