Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old May 21st, 2011, 02:42 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Pack a lunch?

I know I sound like a huge cheapskate, but is there any way to bring food from our ship out to the beach and shopping. We are going on the Carnival Dream and since we're paying for food in our cruise price, we were wondering if we could pack a lunch or something. Do they have any kind of service for that or should we bring ziplocs and pack some ourselves?
Sponsored Links
Old May 21st, 2011, 03:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

"Legally" you are not allowed to bring food from the ship to shore. It is an agricultural law (same in the U.S.) so no foreign critters, insects or disease is transported into the country.

However, many people will take food from the morning buffet and make sandwiches to take ashore.

I would advise not to take fresh fruit on shore. If the local authorities find that they won't be as lenient as a ham sandwich.

Also, stay away from mayo on the sandwiches. You don't want to get sick.

My advice: Try some of the local food. It may be a pleasant surprise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 21st, 2011, 04:29 PM
Captain

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by bastephens05 View Post
I know I sound like a huge cheapskate, but is there any way to bring food from our ship out to the beach and shopping. We are going on the Carnival Dream and since we're paying for food in our cruise price, we were wondering if we could pack a lunch or something. Do they have any kind of service for that or should we bring ziplocs and pack some ourselves?
OH my if you dont want to spend a few bucks on some local food why dont you just eat before you get off the ship then eat when you get back on ? Me I like to try the local foods but if I didnt Im sure I wouldnt starve by the time I returned to the ship.
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:08 PM
Admiral

We rarely find that we need to eat in a port. Usually, a protein heavy breakfast, then the buffet when we get back are plenty. But, I do carry a protein bar with me. Packaged foods are not a problem legally. The one time I forgot and took a hardboiled egg and a banana from the buffet with me into a port, I got busted by a beagle!! lol No big problem, but they did take the banana.
Marty
Old August 10th, 2011, 03:19 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Snoozeman Send a message via Yahoo to Snoozeman

You are taking a chance if you do take food off the ship. Most that do it do get away with it, but when they do have a spot check and everyone gets fined they always blame the cruise line and not themselves. The checks seem to be more frequent of late.

My Personal Cruise Blog: My Cruise Blog

Future Cruises:
Navigator of the Seas-Caribbean-3/23/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/10/2014, Carnival Freedom-Caribbean-5/18/2014, Carnival Sunshine-Caribbean-5/30/2014, Carnival Legend-South Pacific-8/30/2014, MSC Preziosa-Mediterranean-10/25/2014, MSC Fantasia-Mediterranean-11/2/2014
Old August 10th, 2011, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

For some reason, when cruising, I ALWAYS start the day with a good breakfast and then plan excursions after that. By the time you return, unless it is some all day thing, you can go to the buffet for lunch or if a bit later, the afternoon snack. You should be able to get a sandwich after the main lunch time.

I don't think I would chance taking food off the ship, if you get so hungry, there is always local food in most ports...

Message Boards Moderator
Old August 10th, 2011, 07:24 PM
Admiral

On my last cruise I observed a woman filling her pocketbook with muffins and cookies and then saw her eating them on shore.
Old August 11th, 2011, 09:21 AM
Admiral

if you are taking an all day ships excursion a meal will usually be included. It will say so in the excursion description, otherwise you are on your own for food.
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:03 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to fun2cruiz

Pack some food if you like, but risk the chance of getting caught doing so along with a possible hefty fine to save a $$$.
True that you cruise cost does include your meals, but while onboard the ship, not while in ports .

Go out...shop, hit the beaches and also try out the cuisine from a foreign port of call and you may be surprised how wonderful the food is and at very reasonable costs, or just "fill up your tank" before debarking the ship !

"January"
Blizzard Flavored Treat & Cake Of The Month
"Strawberry CheeseQuake"
Old August 11th, 2011, 12:38 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henry43 View Post
On my last cruise I observed a woman filling her pocketbook with muffins and cookies and then saw her eating them on shore.
Henry you haven't seen anything until you see some Europeans organise a packed lunch.

On my Baltic cruise, we had 16 hrs in SPB.

I do not exaggerate when I say they had enough food for 48 hrs. Rolls, sandwiches,fruit,cheeses and yogurts. I think some took boxes of cereals. The organisation was magnificent. They had cooler bags etc They must have thought there were serious food shortages in SPB.

I had a protein breakfast; ate locally and ordered room service on my return.

Annie