Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old October 30th, 2011, 11:10 AM
Familiar Face

Default Grand Cayman Beaches, dumb question

So Grand Cayman doesn't have many all-inclusive beaches at all (if any?). So any other beaches, they are just free? No chairs or umbrellas or anything at all? How do beaches work there? Free is fine, then just buy lunch wherever we want. But a chair and some shade is needed while on the beach.
Sponsored Links
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:26 PM
Admiral

Grand Cayman is Seven Mile Beach. If you go to the public part there is a place to change and you have a place to buy food and drinks and eat in the shade. I think you can rent floaties and stuff too, but I'm not sure as we didn't. There are cabs to take you to the beach and back. No probs.
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:50 PM
Admiral

I suppose you call this natural & unspoilt...
Old October 30th, 2011, 12:58 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
I suppose you call this natural & unspoilt...

No, I don't.
Old October 30th, 2011, 01:21 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moiraine View Post
No, I don't.
What? a beach without facilities chairs & bars.....?
Old October 30th, 2011, 02:15 PM
Admiral

It has the stuff, so it's not natural and unspoiled.
Old October 30th, 2011, 02:20 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatMeow View Post
So Grand Cayman doesn't have many all-inclusive beaches at all (if any?). So any other beaches, they are just free? No chairs or umbrellas or anything at all? How do beaches work there? Free is fine, then just buy lunch wherever we want. But a chair and some shade is needed while on the beach.
This bit....I am aware of 7 mile beach.
Old October 30th, 2011, 03:46 PM
Admiral

Most of 7 mile beach is fronted by big hotels. Some will allow you to use "their" section. Definitely not unspoiled at all. Used to be...oh well. There is a small section at the far end from the ships that is a true public beach. But, it is still a gorgeous beach. Enjoy!
Marty
Old October 30th, 2011, 06:25 PM
Admiral

The OP was asking about beaches that had facilities, inferring that those without were some how less desirable....these beaches were those I said could be thought of by some as natural & unspoiled....
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:17 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnthed0g View Post
The OP was asking about beaches that had facilities, inferring that those without were some how less desirable....these beaches were those I said could be thought of by some as natural & unspoiled....
lol, I'm not going to even try to follow what you guys have been talking about. This is what I want to do on a beach: read without interruption, go in the water a bit, have it be relatively quiet, mostly just relax away from my kids. We also want to do some waverunners. I don't need alcohol, food, massages, a pool. A plain ol' beach is fine, except I just need some kind of chair to read in, unless that's too much to ask out there, I dunno how things really are. And a big thing-I'm a fair skinned gal who really shouldn't spend my WHOLE time out in the sun. I'm not an idiot and realize that going on a cruise means much time in the sun, but it doesn't have to be every moment. I don't need all-inclusive, especially when most of that money is spent on alcohol I don't drink. But I'll pay the money if it means having the comfort I need and perhaps some conveniences, too. I just don't know how it works in GC. A website I found recommended Cayman Kai, Rum Point, and Smith Cove for secluded beaches, so if anyone knows anything about those I'd love feedback.
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:23 PM
Admiral

I shouldn't worry the ship probably won't stop there anyway, notorious for being missed due to weather!! :-)) In would imagine anywhere on 7 mile beach would be OK for you....can't say too much our ship didn't stop!!
Old October 30th, 2011, 08:40 PM
Admiral

Personally, I would not pay for a tour when you can get off the ship and take a taxi to the beach for much cheaper. They will take you to the public beach for so much money per person or to the private beach for a bit more ($2.00) per person. I don't know what you can get at the private beach though. Someone else will have to tell you what they have. If you want to do the waverunners, you will have to do that in advance though. As for the beach, you could do everything else at the public beach, just walk a little way off from the crowd.