CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/)
-   -   cheap beach massages? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/386228-cheap-beach-massages.html)

Breshiki November 27th, 2011 01:11 PM

cheap beach massages?

I know thereís more things to do on shore than what the cruise lines offer. Someone told me that she was able to get a massage on the beach for a great price without the cruise line.

How do I find one of these massages places or how should I go about looking for one? Any tips on what to look for in a good place vs bad place?

Iím sailing with RCCI in February/March and weíre stopping in Falmouth, Jamaica & Cozumel, Mexico.

Phil&Liz November 27th, 2011 06:24 PM

Progreso is a port that has great massages on the beach for very cheap.
Using them as a guide, never pay more than $25/hr full body.

MercedMike November 28th, 2011 10:31 AM

Cheap massage

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breshiki (Post 1403093)
I know thereís more things to do on shore than what the cruise lines offer. Someone told me that she was able to get a massage on the beach for a great price without the cruise line.

How do I find one of these massages places or how should I go about looking for one? Any tips on what to look for in a good place vs bad place?

Iím sailing with RCCI in February/March and weíre stopping in Falmouth, Jamaica & Cozumel, Mexico.

HMMM -- cheap beach massage. Let me think. Walk through the hot sand, find a masseuse with no license, questionable hygiene, oils and lotions from goodness knows where, and a table that probably has not been sanitized for years. Pay $25.

OR -- go into the luxurious spa on the ship, have a trained and competent masseuse, in clean sanitized surroundings, with quality products. Then relax in the jacuzzi or thermal suite. Pay $125.

My choice -- an extra $100 on a trip that cost thousands is NOT going to bother me. I will take the luxury every time!

Golden1 November 28th, 2011 11:16 AM

My!! You sure put a damper on that one!:p

fun2cruiz November 28th, 2011 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Golden1 (Post 1403215)
My!! You sure put a damper on that one!:p

Was thinking the same thing. I have done $25 massages on the beach...brought my own towel to lay on and oils for them to use. Never had a problem and have $100 worth of savings in my pocket to use as I please vs. MercedMike :shock: ....... But to each his or her own I guess !

Snoozeman November 28th, 2011 12:39 PM

Taking your own towel is a good idea.

As Phil says Progreso is famous for beach massages. Also Mahahual near Costa Maya. I paid $10 for 45 minutes last week and also last month when I was in Progreso. I've been doing it for many years and have never had a problem.

MercedMike November 29th, 2011 10:34 AM

To each his own

Quote:

Originally Posted by fun2cruiz (Post 1403218)
Was thinking the same thing. I have done $25 massages on the beach...brought my own towel to lay on and oils for them to use. Never had a problem and have $100 worth of savings in my pocket to use as I please vs. MercedMike :shock: ....... But to each his or her own I guess !

Yep, to each his own. That is the nice thing about this board, we can get all sorts of different ideas and different slants on things! I am sorry if some people feel that having a different opinion is "putting a damper on things." I consider it to be opening up a discussion.

The way I choose to use my $100 is a luxurious massage. Whatever you choose to use your $100 on is, of course, up to you.

Honestly, I don't even really like going to the beach. That is why "walking through the hot sand" was the first thing on my list of things I don't like about a beach massage ;)

Snoozeman November 29th, 2011 11:03 AM

In Progreso I use the ladies working out of the bar side of Le Saint Bonnet. No beach or sand.

The ones in my group that did the beach massage wished they had used my gal's. :cool:

Breshiki November 30th, 2011 04:48 AM

Thank you everyone for posting! How would I go about finding one of these massages if there available? Like I mentioned before I'll be going to Falmouth, Jamacia & Cozumel, Mexico. I don't want to travel to far from the ship.

While I understand that some people don't mind spending $100 for a massage, I've never had one that I had was worth that price. Where I live I can get a 1-hour full-body for $65 (average price).

Snoozeman November 30th, 2011 07:32 AM

Neither are the best known for beach massages. Best bet is probably Cozumel. I know several of the resort type beaches have them. Paradise Beach or Nachi Cocom for example. They won't be as cheap as they are in Progreso or Mahahual.

Breshiki November 30th, 2011 07:51 AM

Thanks, I'll aim of Cozumel then. I'm not looking for "cheap" massages, just not $150 ones that the ship offers. I have no problem with $60 or so dollars.

Does anyone know about this place? http://www.cozumel-tours.com/massage-spa.htm, just wondering if it's a legit site.

LisaK December 1st, 2011 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breshiki (Post 1403510)
Thanks, I'll aim of Cozumel then. I'm not looking for "cheap" massages, just not $150 ones that the ship offers. I have no problem with $60 or so dollars.

Does anyone know about this place? Cozumel Massage and Spa Day Excursion, just wondering if it's a legit site.

a couple of things caught my attention on this one. First off they state trained masseuse- thats good, and its at Mr. Sancho's beach which is a really nice beach. go for it

Doug S December 1st, 2011 03:33 PM

We took a cab/van in Falmouth last year to a little private beach resort in Mo Bay, and a local woman was trolling through the guests along the beach offering her massage services. Had a little massage table and everything. Kinda like the hair braiders and fruit salesmen. We didn't have to look, they hunted us down... but we did not get one so can't say what kind of deal it was, but had to be a much different experience than the ship spa...

showcat March 30th, 2012 01:29 AM

Costa Maya Mexico take the short bus ride to Majahal town, we got a massage for $20 forgot if it was an hour or half an hour, girls were as good as the one's on the ship I've paid way more money for :D!

Snoozeman March 30th, 2012 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by showcat (Post 1422524)
Costa Maya Mexico take the short bus ride to Majahal town, we got a massage for $20 forgot if it was an hour or half an hour, girls were as good as the one's on the ship I've paid way more money for :D!

One of the best places in the Caribbean for beach massage.