Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Shore Excursions
Register Forgot Password?

Shore Excursions Snorkeling, SCUBA, sightseeing - discuss ports and activities

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old March 5th, 2012, 06:29 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Do Not Use Jamaciawatersports.com

To anyone reading this thread thinking this could be a good excursion for you, or your group. It is not!!
These people lied to us, didn't hold up their end of the contract, they only let us snorkel for about 20 minutes then dumped us at Margaritaville for almost 4 hours, one of our group was struck in the head with the boom, they practically called her a liar, and couldn't care less.
1/2 of this group took taxis back to the ship rather than be left at the bar with the over priced food and drink.
Basically we paid 35 dollars each for a water Taxi to a bar.
Also one of our group was almost robbed of his camera from a store employee next to the bar, and when he grabbed his camera back and left the store, the employees followed him to the street and tried to fight him. So no, it is not even a safe area to be dropped off at in the first place.

Make sure you know the company I am talking about Freestyle Catamaran Cruises and Private Jamaica Water Sport Tours

They are liars, cheats, unsafe, and definately uncaring.
Sponsored Links
Old March 5th, 2012, 11:51 PM
Captain

Why do they even have text this large? LMAO
Old March 6th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I never recommend that people do anything "local" in Jamaica. It is not a safe place. I really wonder why cruise lines even go there except for the appeal of the name.

Basically, it is worse than Mexico or any other place you have ever been warned about. Tourists are considered fair game.

The Jamaica tourism ministry is aware of the local problem but can't do anything about it as much as they try to explain to the locals that tourists means jobs & $.

It's too bad, because they island has the best name recognition in the Caribbean - but its one of the worst places to go.
Old March 6th, 2012, 12:27 PM
Admiral

Default The Big Red Driveby

Wow. I thought sometimes exclamation points were overdone. Looks like a drive by to me. Will we ever see them again?

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html
Old March 6th, 2012, 04:55 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Yes, and here I am. Just wanted to let everyone know about this company.

Here is just part of the reply we got back from thw owner of the company asking about a partial refund:

No wonder so many countries 'hate' Americans! You are all out of order and need to stay home with your miserable selves!
Very Sincerely!
Denise Taylor

And this is the tour operator that is still asking for you "American" dollars!
Old March 6th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

I have said for years now, that when Cuba opens up,and can accept the amount of ships, and, cruise passengers that will want to see this island, Jamaica falls off the itineraries.

After my last cruise foray into Montego Bay, I said at that point, I will stay onboard.

The company responce is, shameful. I am so shocked that, they would respond like this, that for me, a letter would have to be sent to the bureau of tourism registering a complaint, and maybe to the local newspaper ...just because.

Finally, the OP posted this thread just about 24 hours ago, why should ayone consider this a drive by within such a short time frame? They are unlappy, rightfully so, and posted in a large font?? Benefit of the doubt people.........

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Last edited by Trip; March 6th, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:07 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Satex....

Based on what you told us it was a ripoff. You paid for a snorkeling tour, not an afternoon in a pricey tourist trap.

Of course, there are always two sides to every story, but it doesn't seem likely to me that a regular cruiser who paid for a tour would make something like this up for no reason. There has to be truth behind the post.

I personally get very tired of people calling other people "drive-bys" - so what? I have gone to firums and posted complaints about certain companies - if you have a legitimate complaint that is why the web offers instant feedback, to keep companies that try to rip us off honest.
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:14 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Having been to Jamaica a few times, it truly is a shame they can't curb the pushy people and scaring away tourists. Jamaica is a beautiful lush island and quite frankly, I don't care to ever go there again. They need to make it safer for tourists to visit there. I agree Trip, as soon as Cuba opens up, by-by Jamaica.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 6th, 2012, 07:28 PM
Cruise Maniac

I can't believe the reply by that company. They obviously don't care about their customers and eventually it will come back to them. Regardless of whether or not you only see/serve people once because they are on vacation, you should still provide good service.

OP: On the website for the company there is a link to "Click here to see what our guests are saying about us" and it links to a destination wedding forum. Perhaps you should post your experience there as well. Sure they can just remove the link from the website, but hopefully more people will see it.
Old March 6th, 2012, 08:50 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Under the comment section there was a request for comments, dated January 2012, about the sunset cruise..The comment just before this one, was in June, 2010...seems it has more wedding comments in these pages .

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old March 7th, 2012, 10:43 AM
Admiral

Talking More information

Quote:
Originally Posted by satex View Post
Yes, and here I am. Just wanted to let everyone know about this company.

Here is just part of the reply we got back from thw owner of the company asking about a partial refund:

No wonder so many countries 'hate' Americans! You are all out of order and need to stay home with your miserable selves!
Very Sincerely!
Denise Taylor

And this is the tour operator that is still asking for you "American" dollars!

Hey and thanks for coming back (in a regular size font!) Glad you are not a drive-by. We see too many of them for my taste.

When we get more information it makes it possible to have a discussion rather than just read a polemic.

A letter like that is clearly beyond the pale and certainly defines the company. It is a good example of the dangers inherent in booking independent tours.

We frequently book independent, and usually have very good results, but once in a while run into a situation such as you describe. Reading the boards for recommendations or warnings is always a good idea.

It is a fact that there are lots of Americans who would think 20 minutes of snorkeling and 4 hours in a bar is just the right division of priorities! Maybe the company caters to them ... I visited their website and this is the tour description: Sail the beautiful clear blue waters of the Caribbean Sea to the Snorkeling location inside Jamaica's National Marine Park, on the shores of Montego Bay. Mask and snorkel are provided to assist with the viewing the wonderful Underworld of the Marine Park. When snorkeling and swimming are completed the rumpunch will start to flow. Learn the latest Jamaican Dance Moves or relax with a Foot Massage. Join in and move your feet to the Jamaican Reggae Beat. The party continues with a short stop at Margueritaville's Party. (20 min. stop 'weather permitting').

Admittedly the time implied in this description does not seem to be the time you actually got. But snorkeling, partying, and Margaritaville were definitely what were offered. Not a tour I would have booked. But diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks.

Appears to me that it is a company to avoid.

Check out our reviews and pics of our 41 cruises at
http://www.bully4.us/cruising.html

Last edited by MercedMike; March 7th, 2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old March 11th, 2012, 05:43 PM
First Mate

I agree with the other posters who say "no more Jamiaca" for me. After giving Jamaica a second chance ( a pushy drug dealer who grabbed my arm in front of a cop when I wouldn't 'purchase' ), I'd feel more secure in Cuba.

Old March 18th, 2012, 03:38 PM
Admiral

On our last cruise Feb 26 - Mar 3 one of the stops was Ocho Rios and we went on a ship excursion. We went to an 1800's plantation and then to Discovery Bay for lunch and swimming. We were able to do a bit of souviner shopping and because it is in a restricted area we had no trouble with any pushy Jamacians. Both times we have been to Jamica we felt it was best to use a ship excursion and felt very safe both times. Unfortunately it is one place that we would never set out on our own even with the possiblity of arranging an excursion prior to arrival.

No matter where you go it is good to hear both good and bad so that anyone thinking of going anywhere can be as informed as possible.

Guadeloupe Accommodations

Star Princess 2005, Sun Princess 2005
Caribbean Princess 2006, MSC Lirica 2006 , NCL Pearl 2007, Majesty of the Seas 2008, Carnival Destiny 2008, MSC Lirica 2009, Carnival Valor 2009,Carnival Legend 2010, Carnival Liberty 2010,Carnival Fantsay 2011,Carnival Valor Feb 2012, MSC Poesia Dec 2012, MSC Poesia April 2013, Carnival Legend Nov 2013, MSC DIVINA Jan 2014
Old March 18th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I think one of the worst places in Jamaica for pushy venders, was at the top of Dunns River falls. There is no way around that, unless you walk back down the stairs. They will actually try to pull you into their stall and they don't take a "no thank you" for an answer.

Message Boards Moderator
Old March 19th, 2012, 09:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I think one of the worst places in Jamaica for pushy venders, was at the top of Dunns River falls. There is no way around that, unless you walk back down the stairs. They will actually try to pull you into their stall and they don't take a "no thank you" for an answer.
I agree, and its been that way for years. And its not just the legit venders you have to worry about there. Years ago we were there and a local youth tried to pull my then 15 yr old son off to the side and sell him a bit of local herb. I went after that dude and told my son to get away from him. The 'vender' retreated since I had him by about 6" and 100 pounds. To this day my son and I (now 25) still laugh about it. "Yo Daddy no laake me!!!" (insert Jamaican accent here).