CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums

CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/)
-   Shore Excursions (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/)
-   -   Naples Excursion Question- Capri or Amalfi or both? (http://www.cruisemates.com/forum/shore-excursions/396332-naples-excursion-question-capri-amalfi-both.html)

Laila May 24th, 2013 11:18 PM

Naples Excursion Question- Capri or Amalfi or both?

Hey everyone,
Our ship docks in Naples at 7 am and leaves at 7 pm and I'm trying to figure out whether we should do Capri or Amalfi coast or if doing a bit of both is possible with our time frame. We're interested in sightseeing but mostly the beach and it seems Capri has more beautiful beaches and swimming in one of the grottos/coves is something I've had on my bucket list for a loooong time. But seeing a little bit of the Amalfi coast (especially Positano) is also something my group really wants to do. I don't want to rush things, so does this sound like too much? If not, does anyone know of a excursion company of some sort that can accomplish both while getting us back to Naples on time? Also it's going to be in late July, so the weather and crowds are another factor to consider.
Thanks in advance!

zdgp May 25th, 2013 06:42 AM

I have one suggestion. Before you spend money going to tourist traps like the Blue Grotto, check out the reviews of each attraction on a site such as Tripadvisor.

green_rd May 25th, 2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdgp (Post 1474172)
I have one suggestion. Before you spend money going to tourist traps like the Blue Grotto, check out the reviews of each attraction on a site such as Tripadvisor.

You would probably have to do this very carefully. Check out the the ferry schedules. You might be able to arrange ferry transport Naples to Capri to the coast. You might at least be able to get to Sorento and take the train back from there.

BernieG May 25th, 2013 10:59 AM

Through the Ship I'd do this but never on our own unless your next stop was Rome. They're just too far away from each other. I think you'll have to pick one and return. We usually go to Capri rather than sit for hours in a bus.

lorsin May 26th, 2013 08:23 PM

look at romeinalomo.com they have great deals, and if you put a small group together, they may be able to cover both, maybe a short drive around Amalfi coast and Positano, then leave you at the ferry to do Capri in the arvo? We are thinking about this for Sept!

lorsin May 26th, 2013 09:00 PM

Just did a bit of checking, Capri is out, ferry takes over an hour, hydrafoil 40 minutes, plus trying to travel on the island, and no real beaches, will stick with staying on the mainland ourselves.

Snoozeman May 26th, 2013 10:05 PM

Whatever you decide...just get OUT of Naples.:cool:

Trip May 26th, 2013 10:20 PM

Althhough I wanted to do eveything, and, wished for longer days..we ended up doing Herculaneum....I cherish the memories of walking on history. Was amazing....just thought I'd toss in another option.:)

green_rd May 27th, 2013 10:18 AM

I think Italian holiday makers enjoy Ischia. I don't know if it is to get away from tourists or if it has nice beaches.