Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old November 11th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Familiar Face

Default Cruise Life for an Introvert

Hey all,

I'm a recent college grad and I was just pre-screened for a youth counselor job on Royal Carribean.

I have not been hired yet, but have been researching in case I do. I love the idea of being in a new city every day, and being able to save some money, but I have some reservations.

Everyone I have talked to and every article I have read has said that Cruise life for staff is one big booze and sex fest. I am an outgoing person and love working with kids. However, when it comes to nightlife, I am definitely introverted. I'm not shy, but I don't seek out large, crowded, loud spaces. Even in college, I never assimilated into that lifestyle. I like hanging out with small groups of people, and I don't want to get **** faced.

My questions is, will I be able to survive this 3-5 month contract if I am avoiding these staff parties? From what I've read this is basically how staff gets by: by being in a perpetual state of intoxication. It is also the main way to meet people. Am I going to be a black sheep on board, or is this at least not completely unheard of?

Thanks for any feeback.