Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old July 1st, 2015, 02:55 PM
LittleSpectacles LittleSpectacles is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Default Future Cruise Consultant

Hey Guys :o)

Hope all is well!

Just wondering if anyone can give me a brief overview and feedback on what a day to day life of working as a future cruise consultant is like ?

I understand the nature of the job being very sales focused, presentations, schmoozing with guests etc.

Just wondering what the hours are like ? chances of getting off in ports ? and if its one of the 'better' jobs on the ship ?

Many Thanks x
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:27 PM
Bruce Chafkin1 Bruce Chafkin1 is offline
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza / Japan
Posts: 622
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSpectacles View Post
Hey Guys :o)

Hope all is well!

Just wondering if anyone can give me a brief overview and feedback on what a day to day life of working as a future cruise consultant is like ?

I understand the nature of the job being very sales focused, presentations, schmoozing with guests etc.

Just wondering what the hours are like ? chances of getting off in ports ? and if its one of the 'better' jobs on the ship ?

Many Thanks x
Future Cruise Consultant on most lines is a very good job.
Salary is good.
Accommodations are good.
Privileges are good.
If you are a good salesperson, incentives are very good.

To get the job (there is very stiff competition):
You need to know everything about everything to do with every cabin category and every cabin layout on every ship in the fleet.
You need to know every port on every itinerary in the fleet.
You need to know the ins and out of every itinerary in the fleet.
Previous Travel Agent experience is essential. You need to know how to operate the booking engines used by the cruise line.
You definitely need prior shipboard experience.
You need to dress well always and be presentable.
The cruise lines only hire people with good stage presence and who can look good on camera.
You need to be willing to hear every complaint from every passenger on the ship every day.
You are often required to escort visiting travel agents on ship tours, explaining everything that takes place on a cruise ship.
You are often require to attend social functions, so you need ot bne a good listenerand speaker.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old July 1st, 2015, 06:38 PM
LittleSpectacles LittleSpectacles is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 4
Default

Thanks so much for your response and insight !

Its certainly the role I would love to do having worked on a ship in another role and also working as a land based cruise consultant, so my love of sales and travel combining on board would be ideal !

Do you know during port days if you get much chance as a consultant to visit the port or are you busy with other things ?

x
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old July 9th, 2015, 12:21 PM
sz sz is offline
Senior Member
First Mate
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 378
Default

https://www.linkedin.com/jobs2/view/...3Ajobs_cluster

Yes - you have time to get off the ship in ports, as most of your working hours are spent dealing with the guests . . . and if they're not onboard . . .
__________________
sz . . .
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old July 12th, 2015, 04:58 AM
Bamelin Bamelin is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 2
Default

A few other points:

Cruise Consultants are considered non striped officers (usually 2 stripe) meaning officer privileges.

Cruise Consultants do not get a single berth but share a cabin with somebody from the same department (unless a Cruise Consultant Manager who does get a single cabin). The shared cabin MAY be a passenger inside ... Or not depending on your luck.

Salary ranges from 1700 USD/mth to 2000/mth with (substantial) commission on top of this base pay. Contract length is 4 on/2 off or 6 on/3 off. Off period is unpaid.

Last edited by Bamelin; July 12th, 2015 at 05:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:42 AM
Vegasian Vegasian is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Question applying

Hi,

How and where to apply for cruise consultants?


Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSpectacles View Post
Hey Guys :o)

Hope all is well!

Just wondering if anyone can give me a brief overview and feedback on what a day to day life of working as a future cruise consultant is like ?

I understand the nature of the job being very sales focused, presentations, schmoozing with guests etc.

Just wondering what the hours are like ? chances of getting off in ports ? and if its one of the 'better' jobs on the ship ?

Many Thanks x
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Bruce Chafkin1 Bruce Chafkin1 is offline
Senior Member
Captain
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Ibiza / Japan
Posts: 622
Default

Each cruise line has someone in the head office who manages the program onboard the ships. You need to find out who that person is, and send your CV to him/her.
You also need to know that hundreds of current employees at that cruise line have already applied for the job ahead of you. Every one of those people knows far more about the job - and the ships- than you do. Every one of them has far more of the required experience than you do. Many of them already know the person who hires for the job.
The odds of you being hired before all of them are very slim.
Your CV needs to be very, very special. And your experience, qualifications, and cruise knowledge all need to be spectacular.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old June 26th, 2017, 07:51 PM
Vegasian Vegasian is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Thanks but the problem here is that this job is like closed circle. I know this because I already have experience working on the ship. I am well qualified for this position but I just dont see the way how to apply. People in charge of this position on the ship, future cruises managers, are not really willing to help you with this, I tried already. Unfortunately they wont tell you a sh!t. Its just the way it works. So thats why I asked if someone here knows any other way to apply for this position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Chafkin1 View Post
Each cruise line has someone in the head office who manages the program onboard the ships. You need to find out who that person is, and send your CV to him/her.
You also need to know that hundreds of current employees at that cruise line have already applied for the job ahead of you. Every one of those people knows far more about the job - and the ships- than you do. Every one of them has far more of the required experience than you do. Many of them already know the person who hires for the job.
The odds of you being hired before all of them are very slim.
Your CV needs to be very, very special. And your experience, qualifications, and cruise knowledge all need to be spectacular.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Scarlet P. Scarlet P. is offline
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: The Seven Seas
Posts: 11
Default

You have worked onboard a ship and you do not know who is in the HR department land based? On bigger ships there is an HR manager onboard on smaller ones the crew purser who could both provide you with the direct contact information. Having worked on Princess, does not give you the qualification to work on HAL in this position, since it is very ship and cruise line specific.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old June 27th, 2017, 04:40 PM
Vegasian Vegasian is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Thank you for your answer but I never said I worked for Princess. I worked for NCL, and HR dep on NCL does not exist anymore, they all got fired for me unknown reason. The function of HR is partly done by Crew Enrichment personel, but they are not willing to help you when it comes to this. Btw I dont understand your last sentence, what do you mean?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet P. View Post
You have worked onboard a ship and you do not know who is in the HR department land based? On bigger ships there is an HR manager onboard on smaller ones the crew purser who could both provide you with the direct contact information. Having worked on Princess, does not give you the qualification to work on HAL in this position, since it is very ship and cruise line specific.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old June 28th, 2017, 02:52 PM
Scarlet P. Scarlet P. is offline
Junior Member
Familiar Face
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Location: The Seven Seas
Posts: 11
Default

It was an example by saying: "having worked on Princess - just the difference between one cruise line to another, since the position of future cruise consultant is very cruise line/ship specific.
My last sentence is saying the same - you can know NCL in and out, but that does not mean that you can easily sell future cruises on HAL. What I am trying to say is, that if there is an open position on e.g. a HAL ship, an applicant who has worked on HAL ships in the past and you coming from NCL (or any other line) - the preference most likely would be for the one who worked for HAL before.
Also the reason why I am saying it is often easier to get a new position at a cruise line one worked with, depending on position, evaluation report and new desired position of course.
Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old June 29th, 2017, 06:06 AM
Vegasian Vegasian is offline
Junior Member
Welcome Newcomer
 
Join Date: Jun 2017
Posts: 7
Default

Ok, thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarlet P. View Post
It was an example by saying: "having worked on Princess - just the difference between one cruise line to another, since the position of future cruise consultant is very cruise line/ship specific.
My last sentence is saying the same - you can know NCL in and out, but that does not mean that you can easily sell future cruises on HAL. What I am trying to say is, that if there is an open position on e.g. a HAL ship, an applicant who has worked on HAL ships in the past and you coming from NCL (or any other line) - the preference most likely would be for the one who worked for HAL before.
Also the reason why I am saying it is often easier to get a new position at a cruise line one worked with, depending on position, evaluation report and new desired position of course.
Good luck with your search.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Looking for a future cruising friend for future cruises out of New York scotland01 Seeking Cruise Companion 9 April 15th, 2017 02:01 PM
future cruise Tammey427 Seeking Cruise Companion 1 June 15th, 2015 12:54 PM
Personal Cruise Consultant rinker250 Norwegian Cruise Lines 9 December 19th, 2013 06:18 PM
has anybody here worked for harding brothers as a fragrance/cosmetic consultant??? alloahcousin Crewmembers 0 March 30th, 2010 08:30 AM
future cruise john august smith Seeking Cruise Companion 0 February 12th, 2009 11:34 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

 

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:55 PM.
design by: Themes by Design