Old April 21st, 2006, 06:41 PM
Passenger

Default another upgrade question

Are you less likely to be upgraded in the summer months since these are usually sold out anyway?
We have an OV guarantee for 8/6 on the Elation. Just wonder if we had any chance of an upgrade.
This will be our 4th Carnival cruise if that helps us any.
Old April 21st, 2006, 08:33 PM
Administrator
Admiral

You always have a chance for an upgrade. It "seems" that upgrades usually have a better chance of occurring on sailings when the cruise has not sold out and the cruise line is looking for more "incentive pricing". That is they want to open up low end cabins for sale at the last minute. $499 inside, $599 outside cabins. They will use their upgrade formulas to move inventory to obtain those low end cabins for sale.

Then again it seems there are times upgrades have no rhyme or reason to them.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 21st, 2006, 09:09 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

When I was booking with my PVP for my cruise next month, he asked what I was doing next weekend - the Fantasy just opened up inside cabins for $212 person for a four night (includes port fees and taxes). What a great deal considering the same sailing in May for me is $350. Mike is right, they upgrade, then open what is left at deeply discounted prices.

I have always been upgraded, but keep in mind an upgrade is almost always within your category (Inside to Inside on higher deck, OV to OV on higher deck, etc). Very rarely do you go outside of your category, but it does happen (and I am jealous of those who get it). On my cruise next month, we got a two category uprade (1A to 4B).

Luckily my new PVP is also a good friend (I am cruising with him and other friends in Nov) and calls me when deals arise....

Jodi
Old April 23rd, 2006, 12:32 PM
Passenger

Thanks for the info. I booked an ocean view and I really have no problem if I am on the bottom deck or not. We have never booked a guarantee before so I wanted to see what would happen. I just hope we don't get a cabin with porthole windows! I used to worry about no being mid ship since I tend to get seasick but bonine works so well I really and not worried about that any longer. We will just keep our fingers crossed and if I chicken out I can always call and upgrade myself to an assigned cabin.
Thanks again.
Old April 23rd, 2006, 07:54 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Oceanviews do not include portholes - you will have a window. Scratch that off your list of worries.

Jodi
Old April 24th, 2006, 01:21 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Sorry: But there are some 6A cabins on some Carnival ships that are port hole cabins and they are considered "Oceanviews". The Holiday is one of the ships that has these cabins.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 24th, 2006, 10:47 PM
Passenger

Thanks Jodi and Mike. We will be on the Elation so hopefully it will be a window. I will try to find out as far ahead of time as I can so if I need to make a change I will still be able to. I had requested a show bench since my husband is an amputee but we don't need a handicap room since he doesn't use a wheelchair. Maybe they will take this into consideration when they assign our cabin.