Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old February 13th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default So many questions!

Hello Everyone,
I'm a soon to be, first time cruiser. I will be on the Norwegian Jewel, I would love some information/advice.
Can you pack a lunch or snacks from the ship, to take for day trips?

What is the earliest time one can depart the ship in the morning?

Would boarding the ship as early as possible on the day of departure, increase odds of receiving an upgrade?

On return to home port-day, the ship is scheduled to come into port at 8 a.m.; Will I make it to the airport by 11:30 a.m. [flight scheduled to take off at 1: 15 p.m.] if it takes 40 minutes to get to the airport?

WIFI question: Will a Boingo subscription allow access to wifi at hotspots on the ship without incurring the per minute charges?
Old February 13th, 2015, 03:00 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Technically, no. Most ports do not allow you to take food off of the ship. In reality many people do. Just be prepared to have your lunch confiscated in the very unlikely chance you are asked by a local official.

I'm not sure if you mean in port or on the last day. In port you cannot depart until the ship has cleared Immigration and an announcement has been made. It's similar to the last day. On the last day it depends if the ship arrives on time and there are no issues with Immigration. If you wish to be one of the first off you can let Guest Services know or you can do "Self Disembarkation". With self disembarkation you must carry all your luggage off with you. If you have three suitcases, a carry on and two kids, it's not a good option, otherwise it can be a good way to get off earlier.

Would boarding the ship as early as possible on the day of departure, increase odds of receiving an upgrade?

No. Upgrades, at the pier are basically a thing of the past and rarely occur. If you book a guarantee cabin you may not receive your cabin number until you check-in.

On return to home port-day, the ship is scheduled to come into port at 8 a.m.; Will I make it to the airport by 11:30 a.m. [flight scheduled to take off at 1: 15 p.m.] if it takes 40 minutes to get to the airport?

You have a good chance of making that flight.

WIFI question: Will a Boingo subscription allow access to wifi at hotspots on the ship without incurring the per minute charges?

No. You must purchase the ship's Internet package or pay by the minute.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old February 13th, 2015, 03:03 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
Technically, no. Most ports do not allow you to take food off of the ship. In reality many people do. Just be prepared to have your lunch confiscated in the very unlikely chance you are asked by a local official.

I'm not sure if you mean in port or on the last day. In port you cannot depart until the ship has cleared Immigration and an announcement has been made. In most ports this is usually the time listed on the itinerary. Be aware that if it is a tender (you take a small boat to shore) you may have to wait until people with ship's excursions and high level loyalty club members have departed. I have never "not" been able to leave the ship over 30 minutes after the announcement. On the last day it depends if the ship arrives on time and there are no issues with Immigration. If you wish to be one of the first off you can let Guest Services know or you can do "Self Disembarkation". With self disembarkation you must carry all your luggage off with you. If you have three suitcases, a carry on and two kids, it's not a good option, otherwise it can be a good way to get off earlier.

No. Upgrades, at the pier are basically a thing of the past and rarely occur. If you book a guarantee cabin you may not receive your cabin number until you check-in.

You have a good chance of making that flight.

No. You must purchase the ship's Internet package or pay by the minute.

Take care and have a great cruise.
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

Old February 13th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Admiral

Mike, cant believe that we answered the same question on two threads by the poster within seconds and how close our answers were,,,mmm, scarry. Mine
was Questions seeking answers : )
Old February 13th, 2015, 08:46 PM
Admiral

Great minds think alike??? Maybe...
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old February 14th, 2015, 09:18 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you so much, Mike M and DavidB for the insight. It will truly help to make my first ride less bumpy. I had asked on the other thread about carrying one's own luggage to help with time. Thank you Mike M for answering it here.
Old February 14th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Gee: I answered it twice.

The "Edit" and "Quote" post icons are right next to each other on an Admin screen. I thought I was editing to add more information to my original post but I guess I was just quoting myself.

The added information is in the quoted post below my original.

Take care,
Mike