Old March 6th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Passenger

Default Drink coupons...Somebody HAS to know how they work!!!!!!!

Hi all. Newbie here but 13th cruise coming up 4/2 on the Victory followed by the 14th on the Explorer of the Seas in May to Bermuda......

What is the deal with the drink coupons on Carnival??? If they are simply one coupon per drink then I will order many. If I have to deal with ANY (I mean ANY!!!) BS with using them or whatever then I will not.

I KNOW that here are some of you out there that can tell the rest of us EXACTLY what the deal is.

Please explain the rules for these things.........

Who is it that knows????????
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:04 PM
Admiral

Drink coupons are simple vouchers worth about $5 apiece. If your drink costs less than the voucher--you just use a coupon to pay for it. If your drink costs more than the value of the coupon you use two. Here's a recent bar menu:
http://community.webshots.com/album/521755807XYeiOA
Old March 6th, 2006, 10:09 PM
Passenger

Then that seems like a very poor deal.

No credit for drinks that cost less but you need to use two ($9 cost) if you order a drink that costs $5.50?????

Can't be right can it???????
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:04 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Coupons are better as a gift to someone. They are not there to save you money. My DH and I recived some in a basket for our anniversary. They worked well for that, because we did not pay for them, so we didn't care how much they cost. I would just use your sail and sign card for all your drink purchases, it would save you time/money/effort.

Just my opinion!!
Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:41 AM
First Mate

There are some pretty lengthy discussions about this topic. If you do a search, you will see alot of detail to answer your question. However, to sum up, there are alot of cruisers who have experienced a "nit-picky" employee who will not let you use your coupon for a $5.50 drink. In contrast, just as many people will tell you they have never had a problem using them for whatever they chose to order. It seems that it depends on the bar tender you get.

I purchaed several packs for our cabin and I figure I will at the very least save on tip and tax on a drink that the coupon is based on. If I get a more relaxed empolyee, and they let me order a 'better' drink with them, then I will have saved money so it's really a win-win situation. Plus, I purchased them while ago so now all of the drinks will feel free to me! Unless I get in a martini mode, I'm sure that most of my drinks will be around the $5 range anyway. (I'm hardly ever the one who buys the drinks so I have this huge ignorance relating to various drink prices!).

P.s. I don't think the drink needs to be in the $5 range because one would have to have a base price that when adding tax and tip will equal 5. This means the drink would probably be in the $4 range if you wanna get technical (which I don't but they might).

Best,
Waters
Old March 7th, 2006, 11:15 AM
Passenger

Hubby and I bought like 5 or 6 packets (4 perpacket). No, if a drink only cost $ 4 then you really arent saving any money but we kind of went with the mind set of, ok, we bought these 3 or 4 months in advance, these drinks are paid for therefore we will have that much less of a bar bill in the end. It's kind of however you think of it. And you can only order them till seven days before and then you cannot process any more. A couple that we met up with were gifted some and they were using them for pop ($1.50) and we were just shocked that they threw that all away. It was like, here I'll buy your pop, give me those $ 5 tickets!! Anywho, hope that helps!!
Old March 8th, 2006, 04:55 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well, first of all - why start off a thread with all that negativity? Geez. Chill, man.

Drink coupons are $19.95 for four. I would never purchase them, as most of the drinks can be purchased for less than that. I don't get all hyper about it though.

I have sent drink coupons as a bon voyage gift. The people I sent them to used all four coupons for a bottle of wine instead of the four drinks. (That's an option, and actually saves $$, as a bottle of wine is usually much more than $19.95.)

14 Carnival cruises
3 Princess cruises
2 HAL cruises
2 NCL cruises
3 RCL cruises
All fantastic voyages!
Old March 8th, 2006, 06:52 PM
Passenger

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueChef
Well, first of all - why start off a thread with all that negativity? Geez. Chill, man.

Drink coupons are $19.95 for four. I would never purchase them, as most of the drinks can be purchased for less than that. I don't get all hyper about it though.

I have sent drink coupons as a bon voyage gift. The people I sent them to used all four coupons for a bottle of wine instead of the four drinks. (That's an option, and actually saves $$, as a bottle of wine is usually much more than $19.95.)
Thanks for the wine info. This would also be a good idea.

With regards to negativity and searching before asking.....

I stated right up front that I am an experienced cruiser. I did that so that all of you would know right away that I am one of you even though I just found this board (quite by accident). No one knows better than I how to make good times happen on cruises. Hence, 13 cruises.......

I did search. What I turned up was confusion. Some said good deal while others said bad deal. All the while giving conflicting experiences. That is why I asked the way I did. I was hoping for a definitive answer from somebody that knows.

Thats all folks. Nothing sinister nor negative. So bite me.....j/k

I have been enjoying the reading on these forums.