Old June 2nd, 2003, 08:20 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default What to buy in Alaska

Doing my Christmas shopping is always part of my vacations. What would be great to pick up for gifts in Alaska (under $50)?

We'll be driving to and from the ship so we don't have to restrict our selves to little items that fit in our suit cases.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:27 AM
Andee bram

Default Re: What to buy in Alaska

We found lots of items with native art on them--from Christmas ornaments to oven mitts. In Sitka, the capital of Russian America, we found nesting dolls and laquer boxes. There were beautiful fleece items in every port, as well as lovely jewelry in all price ranges.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 08:15 AM
Admiral

Syrups, chocolates, ulu knives. Native art.
Old June 3rd, 2003, 10:34 AM
Passenger

well said Andee and Karen. There is soooo many neat things that the shops had you will have no trouble finding many treasures under $50.00
Old June 3rd, 2003, 12:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

How about gifts for under $20?
Old June 3rd, 2003, 04:00 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

You will see all kinds of wood carvings, some very interesting, although they too can be pricey. I found a beautiful crystal Totem pole that I just love, lots of things like that at most stops.

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 4th, 2003, 12:57 AM
Admiral

I have brought back for my coworker, friends, kids, etc Alaska Jack and McKinley chocolate bars. They are about $2 each and nicely illustrated wrappers. I know really cheap- but less than $20 They are in Fred Mayer, Walmart as well as souvenier stores. Don't forget to buy a couple books of postcard stamps- people always love getting those. I have also purchased "city" pins, a big selection for about $5, magnets etc.
Old June 4th, 2003, 08:13 AM
Cruise Maniac

We will be stopping in: Ketchikan, Juneau, Skagway, Anchorage, Mt. McKinely, Denali, and Fairbanks (7 day cruise; 4 day land tour). My husband and I ALWAYS buy a Christmas ornament from where ever we go on vacation. Where would be the best place to buy one? He would like to get only 1 that has "Alaska" on it. I may pick up a couple more though ;o)
Old June 4th, 2003, 10:19 PM
Delores

I liked shopping best in Juneau & Skagway. You'll have no problem finding good buys, but it will be hard to make decisions. Lots of cute T-shirts & sweatshirts also, if you have room for them. I've brought back cute magnets & key chains as well. Most of those are made in China, tho. Oh well.... Happy shopping!!
Old June 5th, 2003, 09:59 AM
Admiral

You would have a great selection of Christmas ornaments on the inside passage ports. Your cruisetour will have very limited access to a lot of stores. The ports will be loaded with walkable stores.
Old June 6th, 2003, 03:05 AM
Bob Cornelius

If you are interested in pins, you'll have to check out Bill Spear's store in Juneau. His work is much nicer than all the two-dollar pins you'll find everywhere else. You can find him on the web, but the store is a kick to see in person. Of course, Shirtco (in Juneau and Skagway, and on the web) has every souvenir item you could ever want.

Have a great time shopping! Bob
Old June 6th, 2003, 09:44 AM
Admiral

I have been to Spear's store and indeed very high quality pins, upstairs shop on Franklin. http://wmspear.com/