Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old February 28th, 2015, 10:04 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Drug Test Onboard

Hey all.

I start my first contract in a couple of months and have my medical coming up soon.

I am from a state where cannabis is legal but I haven't smoked anything in the last 6 months, so I am not worried about the medical.

I fancy smoking something though on my leaving party but was wondering what are the chances I will be tested for cannabis once on board?

Thanks all.
Old February 28th, 2015, 02:04 PM
First Mate

It's a gamble, but I've never heard of someone joining getting tested the first day. Also, from experience, the onboard testing happens/gets requested when the ship first hits the dock when joining a port. Crew aren't allowed off until the 'random' candidates have reported in.

While 'drug-free' workplaces give corporations good rates on insurance, cruise lines also have to seriously battle trafficking. More of a chance that you and your luggage will be swabbed/sniffed for carrying anything.
Old March 1st, 2015, 03:29 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystery View Post
Hey all.

I start my first contract in a couple of months and have my medical coming up soon.

I am from a state where cannabis is legal but I haven't smoked anything in the last 6 months, so I am not worried about the medical.

I fancy smoking something though on my leaving party but was wondering what are the chances I will be tested for cannabis once on board?

Thanks all.
Chances are low, but is it worth the gamble.

I have had my luggage swabbed sniffed when joining a ship.
Old March 2nd, 2015, 11:50 AM
Familiar Face

THC tests are common, every three months or so, sometimes more often if company practices "random" drug tests. Some companies test ALL crew every 3-4 months, in a single day. If you need work, just forget it ...
Old March 18th, 2015, 06:01 AM
Familiar Face

I was drug tested on my first day on the ship. There were lots of random drug test done too.
Old September 20th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Cut off levels for testing

Dear reader,

I hope you are an enlightened individual when it comes to international cruise ship regulations.

What kind of testing do pre-employment on a cruise ship require? What is the THC-COOH cutoff of tests? (if urine)

I am not asking this because I want to do drugs and work on a ship, just the opposite, I have previously used Marijuana medically, which I have not done for nearly a month now and I have been interested in working on a cruise ship. I do not want to go for any pre-employment testing until I am absolutely sure I will pass.

At no point during employment will I consider any illicit drug use, however I know currently there is bound to be some level of previous marijuana intoxication in my body. What is the acceptable (passing) level at which I will be tested?

I dont want to cheat the system, I want to be translucent and open about my previous use and involvement and a personal guarantee that such involvement will not be a future thing.

What is you insight on this situation?
Old September 20th, 2015, 02:20 PM
Familiar Face

Also keep in mind that checks are not only on board. E.g. when you go out in Cozumel and other ports especialy in Caribbean, they have dog that smells you.

Guess what happen if they found you possitive....