Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old April 22nd, 2015, 04:05 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default 1st timer need advice on sunscreen

Hello, I am going to go on my first cruise next month to the Caribbean and wondering if anyone have any advice on how much sunscreen to bring? I heard it is really expensive on board, and being white mid-westerner that is prone to sunburn, I am a bit concerned. Is there medical help on board to deal with people with severe sunburn blisters or do you have to go to medical clinic when you get to shore?

Thanks!
Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:02 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilywhite View Post
Hello, I am going to go on my first cruise next month to the Caribbean and wondering if anyone have any advice on how much sunscreen to bring? I heard it is really expensive on board, and being white mid-westerner that is prone to sunburn, I am a bit concerned. Is there medical help on board to deal with people with severe sunburn blisters or do you have to go to medical clinic when you get to shore?

Thanks!
A a normal size bottle of sunscreen should be sufficient, but if you do run out you can buy it easily on the ship or in port, but for a higher price than at home, as you said. Buy the highest spf you can find. The higher the number, the better the protection. I use a 50 when I am around or in the water. A 15 or 25 and you are going to burn, guaranteed.

Every ship has a clinic, but I would hope you can avoid the need to go there with a blistering sunburn. Apply sunscreen liberally an hour or two before going out into the sun. And reapply periodically, especially when swimming. If I am swimming or snorkeling, I sometimes wear one of those very light weight tops which has a sun blocking fabric. You can find them at any sporting goods store.

If I get red because I am careless or not paying attention, I swear by aloe vera gel. Takes away the pain and usually no redness by the next am.
Old April 23rd, 2015, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Your best bet, would be to purchase a good sunscreen before you leave home. I would get a pretty high spf so you don't burn. Buying it before you leave will safe a lot of dollars by buying in on the ship.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 23rd, 2015, 02:59 PM
Administrator
Admiral

If you are prone to sunburn don't go with anything under 30 SPF. 50 is a better choice. Make sure it is water and perspiration resistant and reapply after swimming or heavy perspiration.

One other thing. BUY NEW SUNSCREEN! That old bottle you've had in the cabinet for three years is basically worthless. Sunscreens lose their UV protection in about one year.

I would buy it at home and take it with you. It can be quite pricey on the ship and in port. Away from port it's relatively inexpensive but you don't want to be running around looking for sunscreen when you only have a limited time.

Also, buy a name brand product. The only time I've been "fried" since childhood is when I bought Target's store brand SPF 30 sunscreen. I used it, reapplied it but still got fried. I believe it was probably old and still on the shelf or it was not mixed well. It was quite runny and I was in the sun less than usual.

I like the Australian Gold products.

Also pay attention to any medications you take and see if they can increase sensitivity to the sun. Many antibiotics, skin creams and other medications will make you more susceptible to burning.

Take care and enjoy,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old April 25th, 2015, 07:51 AM
First Mate

I agree with everything Mike said. SPF 30 or higher