Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > All Things Cruising

All Things Cruising Any cruise question not specific to one cruise line

Old June 25th, 2015, 08:16 PM
Admiral

Thumbs up Virgin Cruise Line

I was excited to see that Virgin cruise line will happen, I plan on being on one of the first cruises! Sign up for email if you want ,there's also a "what do you want to see" ....I gave my suggestions !
Old June 25th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Admiral

Ride on a spaceship two as a day excursion... only $350,000pp or 500k for a couple

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 26th, 2015, 11:04 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Seems everything Sir Richard gets involved in, is quite successful....!!

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old June 26th, 2015, 02:52 PM
Admiral

Default Didn't one of his rocket ships go down?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip View Post
Seems everything Sir Richard gets involved in, is quite successful....!!
I wonder how this cruise ship or even cruise line can be very successful since there is competition at the luxury, semi-luxury and low-cost levels. Second, he is going to have to get crews up to speed which will mean false starts and stops. Third, I don't see how his cruise ship/s can be unique which means what is new that he brings to the cruise game. I don't know that Sir Richard has thought this venture through. We shall see.
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:30 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
I wonder how this cruise ship or even cruise line can be very successful since there is competition at the luxury, semi-luxury and low-cost levels. Second, he is going to have to get crews up to speed which will mean false starts and stops. Third, I don't see how his cruise ship/s can be unique which means what is new that he brings to the cruise game. I don't know that Sir Richard has thought this venture through. We shall see.
I'm sure the same thing was said when he started an airline
Old June 26th, 2015, 03:35 PM
Admiral

The fact that cruise ships aren't that profitable would be my first concern.

Carnival made 3.89 Billion in 2014 and has over 100 ships under it's umbrella. Is a profit of 25-50million for one ship really worth the startup investment? Even a small new ship runs about 500million.

BOOKED: Holland Oosterdam May 25; 7N ship, 4N Anchorage, 6N Denali, 5N Denver
11 cruises in 2012, 90 nights at sea visiting 15 countries
8 cruises in 2013, 56 nights at sea visiting 7 countries
Old June 27th, 2015, 05:14 AM
Admiral

Default Most airplanes are leased so his risk was small when he started airline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieG View Post
I'm sure the same thing was said when he started an airline
Airlines were an established form of transport when Richard jumped into the business which he could get into the business with leased aircraft and small crews. Ships are a different story you have to put a lot of money into building a ship you don't lease it. Richard will have to get a crew. This means training and housing expenditures. He will have to offer incentives to cruisers which means discounting. I think Richard will launch Virgin with all these front end expenses and then sell it off if he can. i wouldn't put any money into it, but the first cruise should be a wonderful affair because he will entertain, wine and dine his cruisers of course a lot of them will be his friends, financial backers and government representatives. I would like to do it for the benes.
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:43 AM
Admiral

Don't think he's too worried about this business venture.

Let's think positive it's so much more fun
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:53 AM
Admiral

I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it. I'm losing interest in the ever growing size of most modern ships and am too cheap to jump to the lux lines. Didn't Virgin's CEO start DCL from scratch? How are they doing?

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old June 27th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_rd View Post
I'll certainly be keeping an eye on it. I'm losing interest in the ever growing size of most modern ships and am too cheap to jump to the lux lines. Didn't Virgin's CEO start DCL from scratch? How are they doing?
I'm with you Bob, after my upcoming Allure cruise I'm looking for a smaller more classic old school cruise. I'm very interested in this new cruise line and I'm thinking they know there's a market out there for smaller.
If you sign up for their newsletter they ask you what you would like to see on the ship, worth giving your suggestions .
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:01 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonnyprincecharlie View Post
Virgin had this posted on their Facebook site on the weekend....

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Winston Churchill
Old June 29th, 2015, 12:47 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Don't think he's too worried about this business venture.

Let's think positive it's so much more fun
I'm with you, Aero. I think he's doing this for the fun and the challenge of it. And if anyone can think outside the box, it's Mr. Branson. I'm sure there is a luxury customer base out there for a ship/cruise experience with his brand on it, just as there is for his luxury airline. But I doubt would be attainable for me!

Where can I find this newsletter you mentioned?
Old June 29th, 2015, 01:34 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

I am very interested in what you all think about this...

It is interesting because he is positioning it as a "boutique" ship. At 110,000-tons these days that is "smallish" - and for just 2500 berths it is actually very spacious.

Think of it this way - Carnival just announced a new generation of ships it plans to build (probably for European brands like Aida and Costa) that will carry 6600-passengers - almost as much as all three Virgin ships put together.

So the thing Branson has typically done is to provide real VALUE, you tend to get more for about the same price.

It seems to me Celebrity's newer ships seems to be a pretty close match - opulent, spacious, a little bigger and somewhat more passengers, but close in passenger/space ratio. They are "premium" with a focus on comfort and "pampering" plus food.

But - Branson also just hired the person who designed NCL's entertainment starting with Epic (the guy who signed Blue Man Group, etc). So, I expect entertainment to be a big part of the attraction. Now - here is one place where NCL fell down - their ships have GREAT entertainment, but the shows are not well managed for reservations and seating. The lines to get in are long and you need reservations. With the proposed size/passenger load I suspect Virgin will be far better at managing access to shows (NCL ships are much more crowded).

I do think this much - I expect the ships to be very high-tech, and also to have very good entertainment. Virgin Air is very high-tech and also very high service quality-oriented. I expect Virgin Cruises will be the same - free WiFi, free in-room television, spacious cabins.

The BIG questions are: "what price point is he looking at?" and "how fast does Virgin plan to expand?" Does he want to be a big player and compete with Celebrity/Princess/Holland America? Or does he want to keep it small and niche - like Oceania or Disney?

He does have backing (Bain Capitol) so the financing is there, plus shipyards will finance once a company gets established. He is also targetting the US market first, which is interesting...

But let's also remember one thing - they will be the only cruise line that also owns a very successful international airline - so the "package deal" potential is huge.
Old June 29th, 2015, 02:53 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
I am very interested in what you all think about this...

It is interesting because he is positioning it as a "boutique" ship. At 110,000-tons these days that is "smallish" - and for just 2500 berths it is actually very spacious.

Think of it this way - Carnival just announced a new generation of ships it plans to build (probably for European brands like Aida and Costa) that will carry 6600-passengers - almost as much as all three Virgin ships put together.

So the thing Branson has typically done is to provide real VALUE, you tend to get more for about the same price.

It seems to me Celebrity's newer ships seems to be a pretty close match - opulent, spacious, a little bigger and somewhat more passengers, but close in passenger/space ratio. They are "premium" with a focus on comfort and "pampering" plus food.

But - Branson also just hired the person who designed NCL's entertainment starting with Epic (the guy who signed Blue Man Group, etc). So, I expect entertainment to be a big part of the attraction. Now - here is one place where NCL fell down - their ships have GREAT entertainment, but the shows are not well managed for reservations and seating. The lines to get in are long and you need reservations. With the proposed size/passenger load I suspect Virgin will be far better at managing access to shows (NCL ships are much more crowded).

I do think this much - I expect the ships to be very high-tech, and also to have very good entertainment. Virgin Air is very high-tech and also very high service quality-oriented. I expect Virgin Cruises will be the same - free WiFi, free in-room television, spacious cabins.

The BIG questions are: "what price point is he looking at?" and "how fast does Virgin plan to expand?" Does he want to be a big player and compete with Celebrity/Princess/Holland America? Or does he want to keep it small and niche - like Oceania or Disney?

He does have backing (Bain Capitol) so the financing is there, plus shipyards will finance once a company gets established. He is also targetting the US market first, which is interesting...

But let's also remember one thing - they will be the only cruise line that also owns a very successful international airline - so the "package deal" potential is huge.
I hadn't thought of the airline tie in angle, but you are right, that could add a nice incentive, although I think you can usually do better to book your own air as a general rule. But, flying on Virgin Air for a Virgin cruise sounds like fun. The entertainment angle sounds promising. I think they have picked the right guy. Branson may be able to offer a product that no one else currently has. If he can combine luxury, good food, good entertainment and a casual atmosphere, then we might be hooked. We have not cruised Celebrity in years, but when we did they seemed a little elitist and uptight. If that will be the vibe, then not at all interested. But somehow I think that a guy who has a hammock in his office rather than a desk and chair will not be too up tight. It is promising that they are asking for feedback from the public early in the process. Of course if people are asking for 7 formal nights, I will be out of luck.
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:27 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelbuggs View Post
Of course if people are asking for 7 formal nights, I will be out of luck.
I asked for no formal nights in my feedback
Old June 29th, 2015, 03:41 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Did you all hear that Branson jumped out of the helicopter and cut off the neckties of the business people at the ceremony? He was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. I mean I get "casual" but he really kind of looked like a Venice Beach hippie (but he really is kind of a hippie, isn't he?)
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Admiral

Default Virgin cruise line people really did get sensitive about my objective comments.

Quote:
Virgin had this posted on their Facebook site on the weekend....

"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Winston Churchill
I raised legitimate concerns and discussion starters in my post.
Just remember when Richard started his airline it was in the time
of deregulation and good times everybody wanted to get into the airline game getting into the airline business was a cheap investment and Richard made it a success with Virgin.

Cruise lines different than airlines, the require huge investments (covered in my first post). A successful cruise line today has to be built on unique, novel ideas that appeal to the buying public. At this time I don't know what Richard can bring to the cruise industry that is unique. Here is a short list of entrees that are already covered: food, music, entertainment, ports of call, unique ships, competitive cruise pricing. I may have missed some other requirements but Richard better have something other than balloon rides or free connecting flights on Virgin to make his cruise line a success.

"The realist looks at the situation, gathers the facts, and then makes a decision based on the facts." Richard is a damn the details full speed ahead guy and it may mean he will be captain of another Titanic.

Last edited by bonnyprincecharlie; June 29th, 2015 at 04:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 29th, 2015, 04:46 PM
First Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Motter View Post
Did you all hear that Branson jumped out of the helicopter and cut off the neckties of the business people at the ceremony? He was dressed in shorts and a T-shirt. I mean I get "casual" but he really kind of looked like a Venice Beach hippie (but he really is kind of a hippie, isn't he?)
That's funny..guess they'll be no formal nights

Has there been any word on the Veitch case against Virgin?

Last edited by BernieG; June 29th, 2015 at 04:49 PM. Reason: because I can't spell
Old June 30th, 2015, 11:44 AM
Admiral

Default Virgin is to sign for dock space on June 30, 2015

The contracting for dock space in Miami will be a step forward indicating Richard's commitment to cruise line. 2020 is the date for the first Virgin cruise.
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:23 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
That's funny..guess they'll be no formal nights

Has there been any word on the Veitch case against Virgin?
Virgin has filed to have the lawsuit dismissed on no merit and my guess is that they will prevail because all he had was a verbal agreement (to the best of my knowledge )
Old July 2nd, 2015, 04:29 AM
Admiral

Default Did Richard sign up for dock space?

The contracting for dock space in Miami will be a step forward indicating Richard's commitment to cruise line.
Old July 2nd, 2015, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Default Mama Shelter might give Richard some good ideas to jazz up his cruise line.

Wednesday, July 1, 2015

Some thoughts fom the WSJ on Mama shelter

THE WALL STREET JOURNAL

BY CRAIG KARBON
A French boutique-hotel brand known for outrageous flourishes is hoping its risque formula can translate across the Atlantic, starting with the openČing of its first U.S. property in Los Angeles.
Mama Shelter expects to open the doors to a 70-room hotel in Hollywood during the first week of July and says it won't change the approach that has made its properties a hit in four locations in France and one in Istanbul.
The hotels are known for providing black chalkboard ceilings in public areas decorated by local artists, masks of superheroes and cartoon characters for
Guests to pose in.