Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old July 30th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Familiar Face

Smile New to Cruise Mates, HAL, and Alaska

Hi fellow cruisers! I recently joined Cruise Mates because another forum doesn't work anymore and in less than two weeks, I have a cruise coming up. It is both my first HAL cruise and first trip to Alaska - Vancouver round-trip August 12-19 on the Volendam.

Overall it will be my third cruise. Previously I sailed on the Carnival Sensation in 2012 (Port Canaveral round trip) and Sapphire Princess in 2013 (Los Angeles to Vancouver repositioner). I am excited to sail on a third cruise line to a beautiful state that is unlike any other.

Moving on, tell me about yourself. I want to make some friends here.
Old July 31st, 2015, 05:54 AM
Cruise Maniac

Default Good Choice

Hi, My name is Ed and my wife and I have been on more than 30 Cruises. We live in Florida just like you do. We are booked now for Carnival Glory Sept 5th. I see you are from Gainesville Fl we are in Sarasota Fl. Welcome To Cruise mates. You will find great information here on every subject of cruising.
How to connect with you again on cruise mates of maybe on a ship. Have a great Alaska Adventure. Thanks Ed
Old July 31st, 2015, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome 2012,
I think you will fall in love with Alaska...Do you have any excursions planned? What port is your ship leaving from?

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2015, 11:36 AM
Familiar Face

Arrow Alaska itinerary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Welcome 2012,
I think you will fall in love with Alaska. Do you have any excursions planned? What port is your ship leaving from?
The itinerary is Vancouver round trip with stops in Juneau, Skagway, Ketchikan, and Glacier Bay.

We will take two ship excursions. In Juneau we will visit the hatchery, rainforest gardens, and glacier on a ship tour. In Skagway we will go on the WPYR train in the morning, go to the Klondike Visitor Center, and take the Jewell Gardens and Glass ship tour after that. In Ketchikan, we will ride a floatplane to Misty Fjords. That is an independent excursion, not through the cruise line. Then we will walk to the Southeast Alaska Discovery Center and along Creek Street.

After the cruise we will fly on another seaplane and stay in Victoria two nights. I will see Cragdarroch Castle, two museums, and Butchart Gardens there.
Old July 31st, 2015, 04:07 PM
Admiral

WOW, you have some great tours planned. I really enjoyed the train ride, wonderful scenery...Be sure to post back after your cruise and give us your thoughts....Safe travels.

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:15 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
WOW, you have some great tours planned. I really enjoyed the train ride, wonderful scenery...Be sure to post back after your cruise and give us your thoughts....Safe travels.
I wish I could stay longer at Mendenhall. Why HAL decided to start the 3-in-1 at 2:30 is what I would love to know because the ship arrives at 1:00. It's already obvious one Alaska cruise is not enough. I am just happy to not miss any of the three Juneau highlights on that tour.

I hope I can just copy and paste my pictures of that beautiful scenery here.
Old July 31st, 2015, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Feel free to upload your pics into our photo gallery, here at Cruisemates, we all love looking at cruise pics, especially the beautiful Alaska ones.

Message Boards Moderator