Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old November 5th, 2015, 04:01 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default All sorts of firsts here including my first post

My wife just took off today for a ladies' cruise with her mom and sisters for one sister's birthday. They're leaving out of Miami for a 4 night Bahamas cruise. I'm a little bummed because Miami (or any FL beach really), a cruise and the Bahamas have been dream vacations of mine since I was a kid. Also, while she's excited about the cruise, she didn't know until after she was booked that there was no shore excursion Sunday and no priest on board, and we're both devout Catholics. A learning experience for future cruise planning, no doubt.

The good news is twofold. Next year, we're cruising together to Mexico for a few days, courtesy of a travel voucher we won. I'm just hoping her first cruise is a good experience, so she'll be looking forward to ours next summer. I'd hate to spend the next 8-9 months dreading a lifelong dream of mine. I also hope there's still a "newness" to it, even though it won't be her first cruise. I'm glad it will be a different location, since we never got a honeymoon in our almost 9 years together. Any advice on how a first timer can make it still seem new and special for a second timer?

The other good news is my wife is totally cool with me taking my own Bahamas cruise at some point. Since college, I've always wanted to get away by myself for a few days. Having been a single dad since 19 (I wasn't always this devout) and dedicating all my time off to family, I've never had that time to clear my head in over 20 years, and I don't think I would've even thought it was ok for me to ask if not for my wife's cruise now. I have heard solo cruisers get hit hard with extra charges. I also can't possibly get away during the school year, and the summer appears to be more expensive. Any past solo cruisers have any advice for finding deals that won't cost an arm and a leg? Also, any advice on booking so as to make sure solo and single are not treated as synonymous? I'm extremely happy with the lovely lady in my life. I'm just looking for a little time bound to no one's schedule but my own.
Old November 5th, 2015, 06:33 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Welcome Ben,
How exciting for you to be looking forward to your first cruise, however, not sure about this travel voucher you won, can you fill us in on that?? We do hear about these all the time, while some are completely legit, others, not so...What ship is it on and has there been any fees that you are required to pay? Sometime, you can get a good deal with just booking one on your own...

Since you have to travel quite a ways to Florida, have you considered a 7 day cruise, much more cost effective when you have to travel to the cruise port. Just something to think about.

Feel free to ask any questions, you are bound to have...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 5th, 2015, 06:53 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Welcome to the fold Benjamin.....please do share the info about the cruise you won. May. Of these wins, have hidden costs,and are what I call, sea buses...nothing like a true cruise experience. Let us know how we can help..

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 6th, 2015, 08:45 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
Welcome Ben,
How exciting for you to be looking forward to your first cruise, however, not sure about this travel voucher you won, can you fill us in on that?? We do hear about these all the time, while some are completely legit, others, not so...What ship is it on and has there been any fees that you are required to pay? Sometime, you can get a good deal with just booking one on your own...

Since you have to travel quite a ways to Florida, have you considered a 7 day cruise, much more cost effective when you have to travel to the cruise port. Just something to think about.

Feel free to ask any questions, you are bound to have...
My wife and I received the travel voucher for sitting through a presentation from a wholesale vacation company. It covers the airfare, cruise, food and nonalcoholic beverages for a 2 night/3 day cruise. Any government fees and extras like alcoholic drinks are our responsibility. We just registered the voucher and should be hearing back within the next week or two what cruise options we have.

As for the 7 day cruise, or 7 day anything, that'll have to wait several years. Our two youngest (we're a blended family) are on the high functioning autism spectrum, and I don't know that they could be without one of us for a whole week. Anything beyond 4 nights before they hit maybe their teens and they'd be pretty difficult. The wife's cruise right now is new territory for them. So far, not bad, but I wouldn't want to push it too much.
Old November 6th, 2015, 10:31 AM
Admiral

I just hope what they offer, fits into your time frame. Also, don't be shocked if they require more $.....We've seen these offers many times before...

Message Boards Moderator
Old November 6th, 2015, 07:27 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

The name of the ship would be the key.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old November 6th, 2015, 07:38 PM
Admiral

Default 2 night cruise?

Yes, didn't notice a mention of a ship name, also only 2 nights makes makes me wonder. All the major lines have 3 nights being the shortest cruises.
Old November 8th, 2015, 03:28 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I just hope what they offer, fits into your time frame. Also, don't be shocked if they require more $.....We've seen these offers many times before...
I've been reading up on experiences from people who successfully claimed their cruises. There was a lot of I dotting and T crossing, but thankfully people shared the steps to make it easier.

I double checked it, and it is choice of 3 nights cruise or 2 nights at a resort. My brain sort of smooshed them together. I haven't been all that awake the past couple weeks (except when it's actually time to go to sleep at night).
Old November 9th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Familiar Face

Hi Ben,

I am a solo cruiser. I haven't sailed a lot in fact my second cruise will be in January. So as to the solo vs single. No passengers on the ship will know or care. For all they know your wife could be at the pool while your getting a drink. A lot of people who go together dont spend 24/7 together. If you get hit on you would have been hit on even if your wife was with you. (as long as she wasn't standing next to you.)

As for price, yeah its higher for us. You could try and find a roommate, there are threads here for that, then you wouldn't be hit with the solo fees but could still do what ever you wanted.

Some ships are cheaper then others, some rooms are too. There are also deals you can find. Carnival has too that I can think of right now, the early saver and the last minute deals. They also have other deals now and then.

I got a deal with them for a 10 day cruise that if I had tried to book after the deal ended I would have haad to pay at least 300 more.

CARNIVAL SUNSHINE - 7 day Western Caribbean - 1/31/2015