Old December 30th, 2015, 08:04 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Smile New to cruising

I feel like everyone I know has been on a cruise, so I decided for 2016, dang it, I'm going on a cruise!! I have been searching the web a little bit but there is so much information out there, I'm glad I stumbled on this forum. I am looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise, and not sure if we want to do the inside cabin or ocean view. Its about $50 difference in price so I'm trying to determine if its really worth it to have a window. Also I'm finding conflicting info about passports. Is it required for a Bahamas cruise? Maybe if we get off the boat and explore on one of the stops? I think we'll go ahead and get it just in case.
Old December 30th, 2015, 08:32 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCrusing16 View Post
I feel like everyone I know has been on a cruise, so I decided for 2016, dang it, I'm going on a cruise!! I have been searching the web a little bit but there is so much information out there, I'm glad I stumbled on this forum. I am looking at a Royal Caribbean cruise, and not sure if we want to do the inside cabin or ocean view. Its about $50 difference in price so I'm trying to determine if its really worth it to have a window. Also I'm finding conflicting info about passports. Is it required for a Bahamas cruise? Maybe if we get off the boat and explore on one of the stops? I think we'll go ahead and get it just in case.

Hi MCruising16, and welcome! Inside vs ocean view really depends on how much time you spend in your cabin. If you're just sleeping and changing clothes, inside is fine. If you're going to relax, watch TV, take a nap, see where you are, you might want the ocean view.

You need to check with Royal Caribbean about the requirement's for boarding for this particular cruise.

My opinion is that everyone needs a passport! It makes everything so much easier when you are travelling anywhere, so I think you're right-just get the passport ! Have a wonderful cruise,
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old December 30th, 2015, 09:22 PM
Admiral

Welcome to Cruise Mates,

As Fern mentions the choice of cabin is personal. I prefer a balcony, but there are many places on the ship to sit and watch the water pass by without paying extra.

The current law, I believe, is that you do not need a passport for a closed-loop cruise. That is a cruise beginning and ending in the same US port. Royal Caribbean may have their own rule that supercedes that. It doesn't matter whether you get off the ship or not. I, too, would recommend getting a passport. There are circumstances where one would be required. It is an extra expense but once you have it you are free to roam about the planet.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old December 30th, 2015, 11:28 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Quote:
The age old question of inside vs. outside vs. balcony is a hard one to answer. Do you ever get claustrophobic? Is seeing outside and having natural light important to you? If you answer yes to either of these questions then go with an outside. Also, depending on the ship, Royal Caribbean has some pretty small inside cabins. Especially on their older ships.

If it is a "closed loop", Caribbean or Bahamas, cruise. One that begins and ends in the same port, then you will not need a passport. You will need your, government issued, birth certificate and driver's license to get on board. It is a smart move to get the passport. If you miss the ship in a port you will have a hard time flying back to the U.S. without a passport.

You are in your cabin more than you realize so take that into consideration.

Personally, I would not cruise again in an inside cabin but I've done outside and it was fine but I prefer a balcony.

If you have any other questions then feel free to ask.

Enjoy your cruise,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old December 31st, 2015, 04:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I would also consider purchasing travel insurance....things happen, delays, lost luggage, getting sick, etc....It is a small price to pay...

Message Boards Moderator
Old December 31st, 2015, 10:15 AM
Captain

I like the outside cabins I need to see some light
then you have an idea when to get up

As for closed loop cruises I think only US citizen are exempt from needing a passport
but as other have said a passport is a good investment for future travel

Sounds like you are looking at a very short cruise these are typical cruise but more of a party atmosphere ..nothing wrong with that if that is what you are looking for
I would look at a 7 day at minimum
If you are going alone there will be a single supplement often double what the price is in the brochure

Get trip insurance for sure you never know when something can go wrong

before you book read the fine print of the Terms & conditions of the cruise line

Enjoy the cruise
Old January 1st, 2016, 12:00 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Thank you for all your comments!! I'm so excited for this trip. I think we will get the passports just to be safe, after all they last 10 years and its better to be safe than sorry.
Old January 1st, 2016, 02:11 PM
Captain

Quote:
Thank you for all your comments!! I'm so excited for this trip. I think we will get the passports just to be safe, after all they last 10 years and its better to be safe than sorry.
A very good plan

Enjoy
Old March 1st, 2016, 11:36 PM
Welcome Newcomer

Default You will have a fabulous time!

I'm sure you will have a fabulous time whether you choose and inside cabin or one with a window. I'm so excited for you! Take a look at this Cruise Packing Guide, it links to a lot of other really useful tips and info on cruising.
What to Pack for a Cruise Holiday - Gourmet Getaways
Old March 2nd, 2016, 03:02 AM
Familiar Face

Hello to everyone, this is actually my first post. I am a first time cruiser also and we are going on an Asia Pacific cruise later this year. This is my first thread to visit and I have learned a lot. Since MCrusing16 mentioned Royal Carribean I remember my father used to work in that cruise line back in the late 80's he was a boat captain