Old April 12th, 2003, 09:47 AM
thoth

Default Which airport? Seattle or Vancouver

I will be sailing out of Vancouver on the HAL Statendam in Sept., however my travel agent seems to want to fly me into Seattle and bus me to Vancouver. Seems like a lot of folks do it that way by flying into Seattle. Getting to the ship should not be a problem, but coming back looks to be a problem. The bus to the SEA airport leaves Vancouver at 10:30 am and takes 3.5 hours meaning I will be at the airport at 14:00 which will likely mean a late flight out and a NEXT day arrival back East. I found a 13:00 flight from Vancouver airport which is nonstop to Atlanta. But is that too early??
First I am very sorry to bore you with all this and YES I will most certainly take this up with the travel agent. But first, I would like to hear from you good people who have done Alaska before. How did you handle getting home? Did you take the cruiseline's air or did it work better to do it yourself. Thank you for any prospective input!
Old April 12th, 2003, 02:17 PM
LisaG

Default Re: Which airport? Seattle or Vancouver

We are sailing on our first cruise in May. We are cruising out of Vancouver, but also flying into Seattle from the east coast because it is much cheaper. We planned our own air, but on the way back we are using the cruiseline transfers so that we can get directly to the airport in Seattle from the dock in Vancouver. Celebrity told us that if our flight was after 1:30pm then we should be fine. Our flight home is scheduled for 2:05pm and we should arrive at 11:40pm into Baltimore. Still a very late night, but for us the next Mondy is Memorial Day so we're not worried about it.
Old April 12th, 2003, 07:49 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Hi Troth,
WE also had the same problem, so I just booked my own air directly to and from Vancouver, since time was an issue for us and wanted some time to look around Vancouver. The flights were a little more money, but I figured the extra cost then to come up from Seattle etc. would off set getting there and having a few hours to walk around the area, which I'm so glad we did. May-be have your travel check-in flights to and from Vancouver or consider looking yourself and booking the air yourself? Its something to check into. We found Vancouver to be a lovely city and glad we had some time to explore there before we cruised.

Message Boards Moderator
Old April 13th, 2003, 12:26 AM
Admiral

I have flown out of Seattle many times and never out of Vancouver. For what it's worth- I used to fly out of Seattle at 2pm and barely made it with a rental car. With current conditions, I would not have booked a 2pm flight out. Be sure to verify your airlines policies. You have no guarantee that your ship will clear early, that the bus will leave on time or that you won't be held up at the border. The bus will also be full of passengers going to various airlines, determine which terminal your airline flys out of and see where it lies on the one way route of the terminals. If you are near the end- perhaps rebook.
http://www.portseattle.org/seatac/fl...rport_overview
It is still necessary to arrive early. They are now, hand inspecting ALL luggage. I never see it as a disadvantage to go into Seattle, far more available flights and usually cheaper. I always tour the area and head to Victoria- so my plans include the area. Definately compare both and weigh the added costs of getting to/from Vancouver and if the Seattle area is of no interest and time not available- Vancouver is a better choice.
Old April 13th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Admiral

I think the car-rental will save you time over the bus. Often they make the entire bus unload all their suitcases for the border inspection. This process takes about thirty to forty-five minutes, at least. We have made it from Vancouver Canada Place pier to Seattle in less than three hours, using a rental car. Avis has an office at the pier and their car lot is very close. They qickly shuttle you to your car. Ask for an early debarkation if you choose this option.
Old April 13th, 2003, 07:15 PM
LisaG

Default Re: Re: Which airport? Seattle or Vancouver

OK...now I'm worried about our flight. 2:05pm was pretty much the latest we could get since we're flying to the east coast.

Has anyone taken the transfer provided by the cruise line back from Vancouver to Seattle airport? What time does it usually leave the dock. I guess I assumed that if we went with the ship's tranfers back that they would get us off the ship earlier to make sure we got back to the airport on time. As I said, I did call the cruise line and they said a flight after 1:30pm would be fine and we should get to the airport in time to check in and everything.

There are no later flights so I hope it works out.

Thanks,

LisaG
Old April 14th, 2003, 12:15 AM
Admiral

The last of any east coast flights during the day is around 2pm as they don't want you arriving 0200-0300 am. Therefore they then schedule overnight flights for arrival early am. As I mentioned above, I would definately verify what your airline ticket terms are. You have no guarantee from the cruiseline when your ship will clear or when your bus will leave- they usually leave as they fill up. Disembarkment is also more lenghtly as I experienced last Nov. took twice as long as they are more careful. Now with much larger ships and everyone wanting "Priority disembarkment", delays can and do happen. I used to be off the Princess Sky or Carnival Jubilee by 8:30am, but with the Sun and Rhapsody it was after 10 due to twice as many people. Have a back up plan and your bases covered, especially a cell phone (the bus does usually make a rest stop on I-5 - since I have seen many there) in case calls need to be made.
Old April 15th, 2003, 01:35 AM
thoth

Thanks for all the responses. Since i am booked for a round trip bus ride from Sea-Tac airport to the ship, I will likely spend Sunday night near the airport and use Monday as a travel day to get home.
Old April 15th, 2003, 02:12 AM
Admiral

A very reasonable hotel I have stayed in, is the Sleep Inn, has airport shuttle and a bus stop the next block for easy access back to Seattle, but I most always go back to the airport and pick up the express bus to the tunnels. Either way, it's easy for some afternoon touring cheaply in downtown Seattle.
Old April 15th, 2003, 08:08 AM
Gary Karschnick

On our last trip, we flew out of Vancouver on the morning following our arrival back. We booked a great Vancouver tour through the cruise line which dropped us at the Vancouver airport in the afternoon. We had a hotel at the airport. We used their coutesy car from and back to the airport. Had a nice dinner near the hotel, a good nights sleep and caught our early morning flight home.
Old May 16th, 2003, 05:08 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sea Turtle

I booked Seattle r/t from Florida. The air for Vancouver was too hot to handle. And, I booked r/t bus transfer directly with Quick Shuttle (great service over the phone). I get into Seattle at noon so Amtrak wasn't an option unless I stayed overnight in Seattle, and I decided I would prefer to wake up in Vancouver on the day of my sailing. And, I hate to drive so renting a car was out of the question. Also, Quick Shuttle will drop me right off at the Pan Pacific Hotel where I'll be staying pre-cruise.

I was advised (by my TA & Carnival) not to book my return flight out of Seattle before 3pm. So I could either stay that night in Seattle and fly first thing the next day or take the red-eye back to Florida. I opted for the red-eye.

I'm grateful for all the input on the bus transfer. I will now be prepared for whatever delays may be in store for me at the border.

Enjoy your cruises!
Old May 16th, 2003, 10:23 PM
thoth

I made my decision and I now have round trip tickets into Vancouver and have even reserved a room coming and going at the Confort Inn Airport. What I found was that while we may save money on one end, we in turn will pay it in another capacity. Such as it was 100$ cheaper to fly into Seattle, but the bus transfer to Vancouver was $100 roundtrip. It was also $100 cheaper to fly out of the bigger airports however parking is $10 a day. I am flying instead out of a small regional airport which has free parking.
LikeIi said I will be staying an extra night in Vancouver to see the sights. after reading Gary's post I think I will take the ship's city tour. Since I have never visited Canada, I say why not see something in that lovely country before I leave.
Old May 17th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Which airport? Seattle or Vancouver

Hi Toth,
I think you made the right decision, I couldn't see saving a little by flying into Seattle, then paying to get to Vancouver and of course the time was involved. I was glad to go directly into Vancouver, spend the extra time in seeing the town before we cruised. We were even able to make an 11:10 flight out of Vancouver the day the cruise ended, it was not a problem, grabbed a cab and were at the airport by 8:30. Heck, we could of taken an even earlier flight. I also thought Vancouver was a charming city to walk around, I think you'll be very happy with the arrangements you've made, enjoy!

Message Boards Moderator
Old May 17th, 2003, 08:47 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Sea Turtle

thoth--

Nice to hear you were able to get your flights in/out of Vancouver which is the ideal route. My difference between the two airports was nearly $500.00 so Seattle was the obvious choice for me.

Enjoy your journey!
Old May 17th, 2003, 05:24 PM
First Mate

Send a message via AIM to marvholly

We saved about $200 pp flying into seatac vs vancouver. Have arranged transfers via www.quickcoach.com for $74 pp round trip. Have hotels 1 nite pre 2 nites post via priceline and i'm still enough ahead to pay for at least 1 dinner.
Old May 21st, 2003, 08:06 PM
Mary L.

A word of warning for those trying to make SeaTac flights from Vancouver. The US Customs is really giving the buses a "going over" coming back into the US. It took us over two hours to clear on May 17. We were on the road out of Vancouver by 8:30 am but didn't arrive at SeaTac until 1:35pm. One couple was racing to claim baggage and get to the terminal for a 2:30 flight. I don't know if they made it. The place where the cruise line buses debark passengers is at the North end of the terminal which is a very large place. If your airlines check in is at the south end of the airport you are probably a 10-15 minutes walk away and then there is security to screen your luggage plus a shuttle train out to a satellite concourse for many flights. Either fly out of Vancouver or plan to spend the night in Seattle to get a reasonable flight time back East. Don't let your travel agent talk you into a 1:30 flight -- it is a solid 3.5 hours from Vancouver to SeaTac if you don't have any holdup at the border. I shudder to think of the holdup if we are at Orange Alert. Maybe someone who comes in this week can tell us.