Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > First-Time Cruisers

First-Time Cruisers Novices ask here & No question is too silly!

Old February 22nd, 2003, 06:58 PM
VelmaD

Default Soundproof or Not?

First cruise scheduled for May. Can anyone give an opinion on how soundproof the rooms are -- whether there's hallway noise or neighbour noise that filters in, or how far from the elevator you have to be before you don't hear them? Thanks to all those who have answered so many of my other questions, without me even having to ask them because someone else already did!
Old February 22nd, 2003, 07:37 PM
Admiral

Default Re: Soundproof or Not?

I think most ships are relatively quiet for sleeping. There are some noises that transfer, mainly from side-by-side cabins. Also some cabins fore and aft get extra noise when the ships are pullling into and out of port. Some ships seem to be more well insulated than others. Some people use ear plugs. I don't really mind a little noise because I can easily go back to sleep.

You may want to look closely at your location if you are very sound sensitive. Being above or below the show lounge, for instance, may not be your cup of tea.
Old February 24th, 2003, 11:25 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Re: Soundproof or Not?

most ships are pretty good. Compare it to the noise level in a hotel. The elevator noise is mostly people getting on and off at all hours of the day and night.
Old February 25th, 2003, 06:35 AM
Yeoman

Default Re: Soundproof or Not?

I'd like to know too. My 14 and 16 y/o boys will be in an adjacent cabin. Will I be able to keep an ear out for suspicious or loud noise? Of course, silence might be a problem but that's another story.
Old April 6th, 2003, 12:23 AM
Passenger

Default Re: Re: Re: Soundproof or Not?

We were on the NCL Sun , deck 8, around the corner from the elevator..Our room was silent, even during the day with hallway traffic. It was great..No noise from cabins on either side or above..when balcony door was closed in port of Miami, could'n't hear a sound..Loved it!
Dona