Old April 21st, 2006, 01:54 AM
Beginner

Default Help me decide!!

Between RCI and Carnival!

We have sailed Disney twice.

I'm looking for a more reasonably priced alternative this time around.

Carnival is about $1000 less than RCI.

Kids are 20, 18, 15, and 10. BIG concern about the 3 elder kids (all girls) and the safety around the ship. Is Carnival more of a party atmosphere?

Carnival's time of sailing is a bit more convenient as they have a week available that my kids are all out of school. RCI will work for my 2 elder in college, but the 2 younger will have to be pulled out.

Well......I know - lots of questions -- I'd love input on both lines!

Thank you so much!
Kris
Old April 21st, 2006, 06:01 AM
Cruise Maniac

we are sailing in July with our two teen boys and this will be our 3rd with Carnival and with the boys, I wouldnt call Carnival a party boat , there will be plenty of kids their own age, and they always seem to find their age group to group up with, my boys have a ball with no trouble at all, Let the girls go and have fun , I think you will find Carnival is more layed back and more casual than RCI
Old April 21st, 2006, 07:17 AM
Admiral

Looks like you have answered your own question. You mentioned Carnival as the good points so... choose Carnival.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old April 21st, 2006, 12:35 PM
Beginner

Well, yes it did sound as though I mentioned the good about Carnival, but the party atmosphere reputation scares me because my 20 and 18 yo's are typical for their age....all party and no brain! !

Anyway, RCL attracts me because it seems maybe more strict with rules. I keep hearing about kids running wild on Carnival, people showing up at buffet lines in dripping swimsuits, no hand sanitizers at restaurant entrances???

So those are the downsides to Carnival. That's why I'm floundering here!!

Any more input on the 2 lines would be greatly appreciated.

I want to put down my deposit today.

Thanks!!

Kris
Old April 21st, 2006, 02:19 PM
Cruise Maniac

Along with the lower fare, Carnival staterooms in general are larger vs. other lines. I actually think the food on Carnival is better than RCI. On our last Carnival cruise they gave you a welcome aboard basket that little things like toothpaste, motion sickness med., razors, tylenol p.m., etc. A nice touch. Carnival did seem to have more of those annoying announcments over the PA system and it is probably more of a "party" type atmosphere.
RCI does seem to be a bit more upscale. The ships IMO are nicer. RCI seems to pay closer attention to detail. For example, the last time we were in Grand Cayman they had set up awnings to stand under while waiting to get a tender back to the ship. They also provided drinking water while you were in line. RCI nightly shows are not as good as Carnivals to me though the ice skating show was real good.
If Carnival's schedule and itentary suited my needs more so than RCI would I pay the extra money, probaly not.
You may consider looking into a Princess cruise. I have found they give you a more upscale atmophere at a reasonable price. Princess has some of the nicest boats afloat IMO. They also provide lots activities for kids of all ages.
Whichever one you choose I hope you have a great cruise. I've never had a bad cruise just maybe some better than others.