Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Flying To Your Cruise

Flying To Your Cruise Discuss all AIRLINE-related topics here - advice on flight times, new airline rules, etc.

Old July 21st, 2014, 12:49 PM
Admiral

Default Rule needed against removing shoes and socks on flights

In the name of revival of air travel behavior a rule is needed to tell passengers that they are not to remove their shoes and socks on flights. possibly there could be an announcement made: "For the comfort and safety of all guests it is requested that they keeps their socks and shoes on at all times during the flight. "
Old July 21st, 2014, 03:05 PM
Admiral

I can't stand it either. I also wonder why some think it is a good idea to fly wearing flip-flops as their footwear.
Old July 21st, 2014, 04:57 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I certainly wouldn't go barefoot on an airline, but heck, I sometimes remove my shoes....

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 21st, 2014, 05:33 PM
Admiral

Default The announcement will be changed to: Donna can remove her shoes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna View Post
I certainly wouldn't go barefoot on an airline, but heck, I sometimes remove my shoes....
Donna, exceptions to the rule are always expected, and your desire to remove your shoes is understandable.

But it is the person who takes off their shoes and socks and shares the emanating scent with everybody in the cabin that this rule would be directed.

The rule would not be implemented because someone will say that it part of their religion or is counter to their civil liberties.

Which reminds me of the people who bring onerous smelling food concoctions on board and share the aroma with everyone in the cabin when the plane has left the gate.
Old July 22nd, 2014, 03:30 AM
Admiral

I would add many perfumes and people who just hotboxed a cigarette to the list of banned smells.

As for food smells, oh well, peanuts don't cut it with me.

Done:

Carnival Horizon Transatlantic

Carnival Splendor Panama Canal

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I remove my shoes on an airplane. I don't remove my socks. I also wear good shoes and wash my feet every day. I have never had a foot odor problem. Believe me, my wife would tell me if I did.

Perfumes are the worst. Some will make me physically ill. I respectfully ask that you don't put on the "Evening in Hoboken" on if you are flying.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:02 AM
Admiral

People like the flip flops when TSA makes you take off your shoes.

All I ask is a tall ship and a star to steer her by; John Masefield
Carnival: Glory 2004, Destiny 2008, Splendor 2009, Freedom 2011, Valor 2012, Dream 2013
Celebrity: Summit 2011
Princess: Ruby 2010, 2014, Caribbean 2013, Coral 2014, Regal 2014, 2016, 2018, Crown 2019
Sail Croatia 2018
Sail Windjammer: Mandalay 2017
Star Clippers: Royal Clipper 2015
Old July 22nd, 2014, 12:24 PM
Admiral

So to save 30 seconds at TSA a person wears unsafe footwear. Not exactly a common sense move, but then it is the millennial generation busily working to undo the conventions of a polite society.

Given the lack of space between rows these days, and my girth, I can't even touch my shoes from my seat let alone remove them. And here's to the guy seated next to me who got the Nathan's hot dog with sauerkraut before he boarded!
Old July 22nd, 2014, 07:08 PM
Admiral

Default Foot fungi and other hazards avoidance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Beers View Post
So to save 30 seconds at TSA a person wears unsafe footwear. Not exactly a common sense move, but then it is the millennial generation busily working to undo the conventions of a polite society.

Given the lack of space between rows these days, and my girth, I can't even touch my shoes from my seat let alone remove them. And here's to the guy seated next to me who got the Nathan's hot dog with sauerkraut before he boarded!
I was reviewing some guidelines that appeared in a magazine in 2008 for getting through TSA lines and one of the precautions given was "Wear holeless socks because you don't want the foot fungi or viruses from past travelers to reach you."

Last edited by bonnyprincecharlie; July 22nd, 2014 at 07:11 PM. Reason: typo