Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Cuisine

Cruise Cuisine Recipes or cruise food and drinks

Old November 12th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Admiral

Default Truffles on Celebrity. Sounds great.

Celebrity Chef John Sully with his 25 ounces of prized white truffles

Known as “the diamond of the kitchen,” white truffles are almost solely found in Piedmont, Italy and the season is short. They are hunted by man, aided by dogs trained to smell and discover the underground delicacy. White truffles are extremely rare and costly; only nature can produce them. Their flavor and aroma are nearly indescribable; think earthy - almost intoxicating. Thin shaved slices over any dish, like pasta – even morning eggs – transform such plates into heightened deliciousness.

For instance, if you went online to Williams-Sonoma today, you’d find an ounce of small white truffles costing $200.00. The larger the truffle size, the more you pay per ounce. (Suley bought 700 grams – nearly 25 ounces.)

So perhaps save your money and join a Celebrity Cruise instead. Chef Suley and his team are using the coveted fungi acquired at the auction for an exclusive dining event onboard Celebrity Equinox, during a 10-night Caribbean cruise departing on Friday, November 21, 2014, from Ft. Lauderdale.

In addition, truffle-themed dinners will be served on Celebrity ships for other select Caribbean sailings in late November and early December. Plus, when Chef Suley prepares a dinner at the James Beard Foundation’s iconic James Beard House in New York City on Monday, November 24, 2014, he will be using them in a special truffle-and-wine-pairing event.

Hmm, wild mushroom risotto crowned with shaved white truffles? Decadent desserts topped with white chocolate and truffle Chantilly cream? I am so there. At least, in my food-filled dreams.
Old November 12th, 2014, 08:46 AM
Administrator
Admiral

I do love truffles. Like anything there are good ones and not so good ones. With truffles a little goes a long way. Too much can be overpowering and too little you barely know they are there.

I watched The Chew one day and saw Mario Batali slice a huge amount of truffle on to a dish. The show's budget must have gone up. I thought to myself: "Either that is one high end truffle or that dish now tastes like crap."

There is also a big difference between truffles and truffle oil. Most truffle oil in the supermarkets is synthetic and tastes like crap. True truffle oil will have some small bits of truffle in the oil and will be very expensive but not the same taste as raw truffle.

I doubt that truffles will be served in the MDR, or if they are it will be a miniscule amount in each dish. They will be in the specialty restaurants.

I just checked and you get a balcony cabin for $999 or an inside for $699 but the inventory is low so if you want this cruise you better jump on it and hope you don't have to fly to FLL. The Thanksgiving airfare will be as much or more than the cruise.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me