Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old February 5th, 2002, 07:06 PM
Admiral

Default Imagaination 4/15 Kids formal

This will be our first cruise, a 5 nighter to the western caribbean. How formal do the kids dress? Two 10 year old boys and two 14 year old boys. Don't really want to have to buy them formal clothes they will never wear again. Are new sneakers ok for them. Appreciate your help/
Old February 5th, 2002, 08:11 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Imagaination 4/15 Kids formal

Hi DeeDee,
Dressing for the kids would be something they would wear to a nice outing, dress type shirt and dark pants, they should look fine.
Here is a link to some great information for "first cruisers", should help answer a lot of your questions:

<http://www.cruisemates.com/articles/cruiseguide/first-time/index.cfm>

Enjoy your first cruise, hope it won't be the last, you can almost bet on it, have fun!

Donna
Tuesday Chat Host
Old February 7th, 2002, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Hi, DeeDee ...

Two pair of twins? That must be one busy household !!!

I'd put the guys in Dockers-type pants with polo shirts for the casual/informal nights and a button-down with a tie for formal nights. At those ages, they need new sneakers every other week, don't they? The other option would be boat shoes which are a little bit dressier. The blue blazer option is always there and they should get some wear out of them before they outgrow them (15 minutes after you buy them.) Can you tell I have three boys? You can always pass down the older guys' blazers to the younger ones.

If they are well-behaved, I don't think the other passengers will care what they are wearing on their feet. They're under the table anyway (the kids' feet, not the other passengers.)

Me, I think young boys in tuxedos and suits, looking like minature adults, is a crime against nature.

Have a fabulous time !!!

pamda -- CM First-Time Cruisers Editor
Old February 26th, 2002, 12:35 PM
Jenny

I've been asking the same question. Everything I read on the cruise boards says no jeans. I've called Carnival three different
times to clarify the dress code. It's simply: no t-shirts or shorts
in the evenings. Tennis shoes are fine, nice jeans are fine (even
for adults except on formal night), just no t-shirts or shorts. No
jeans on formal night - even for kids. khakis and a button down
shirt (with or without a tie - a vest sweater would be nice if not
wearing a tie). Since I've gotten the same response from all three
Carnival reps - I feel safe with the boys wearing nice jeans and a nice shirt and either newer tennies or their boot-type shoes.