Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old February 26th, 2009, 02:56 PM
First Mate

Default 'cheesy' cruise acts.

up front, i'll admit this is probably not the place to post this; so give me advice. i read motter's blog about entertainment vis comments re the latest oscar show and cruise ship entertainment. well and good. as a retired professional in the field, i think 'cheesy' means 'taking the easy way out; settling for less because others will accept it.' i have seen great high school and semi-amateur productions which, while imperfect, i would never label 'cheesy.' but most cruise productions, due to limitations in rehearsal time, average talent, lip-synching, reductions, and so many other factors are 'cheesy.' they satisfy the post-dinner and cocktail crowd, but they are in no way real 'professional-level, top theatre level quality'. like the art on board, same thing. i've seen fading performers, some of them my former colleagues, try to 'do it' and fall flat -- and even hawk their cd's after the performance. very sad. that's cheesy. ive also seen lots of great young up-and-comers who dazzle me -- that is definitely NOT cheesy. that is exciting. if i were to get up and try to perform again, now THAT WOULD BE CHEESY. so, yes, given the talent and resources that the awards ceremony would have had at its behest, 'cheesy' is the word to use. so, cruise, enjoy at your will, and admit that most of it is 'cheesy.' that's the way it has been and is always going to be.

ps: i didn't respond to pmotter's blog directly because i don't exactly know how -- that is honest, but, i hope, not 'cheesy.' and with all respects to his short experience as a theatre manager, i must say that the lighting, the sound, the staging, the special effects that exist on modern ships -- nothing covers up 'cheesy.' nothing makes 'chicken salad' out of 'chicken s---!'
Old February 26th, 2009, 04:57 PM
Admiral

[size=6]This definition of Cheesy is the third one in the Urban Dictonary.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=cheesy
Quote:
cheesy
1. Something that is unintentionally kitschy, tacky, or of poor quality, but these flaws go unnoticed by the admirers of said thing.

2. Something that was popular at some point in the past, but that now seems lame in retrospect.
1. I can't believe you like Ashlee Simpson. Her music is so cheesy.

2. Hey, look at this picture of dad from 1975! Check out those sideburns and bellbottoms! That's so cheesy!
I'm an admirer for cruise ship entertainment. So it must be cheesy.

Seriously, I was annoyed by the Oscars this year. The production number in the Paul's blog was horrible and it served no purpose. Normally the Oscar do a production number with the nominated songs of the year and that serves a purpose. This production number was a time waster with no point, so they could cut off people's speeches later on for being to long?! That makes no sense. Sorry I went off on a tangent, I think cruise ship enteratianment is better then the Ocsar's production number.

Freedom of the Seas 2012
Carnival Splendor 2010
Carnival Freedom 2008
Carnival Elation 2007
Celebrity Infinity 2006
Carnival Ecstasy 2005
Carnival Paradise 2004
Star Princess 2002
Viking Serenade 1994
Old February 26th, 2009, 06:14 PM
Admiral

I'm heading out on a cruise in 2 days.
I'll let you know if I think any of the acts are "cheezy".

donna
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Admiral

What's cheesy to one might be fun for another, we all have different tastes.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old February 26th, 2009, 08:43 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel
What's cheesy to one might be fun for another, we all have different tastes.

TM
I agree with you TM. We all have different taste. It could be cheesy for one person and enjoyable for another.

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 26th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Who remembers EL Gaucho, who performed on RCI? Cheesy, maybe, fantastic oh yea...and everyone enjoyed him

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old February 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trip
Who remembers EL Gaucho, who performed on RCI? Cheesy, maybe, fantastic oh yea...and everyone enjoyed him
I saw his act on one of the Royal ships. I enjoyed it very much. Some may call him Cheesy.

8)

Vision Of The Seas
Independence Of The Seas x2
Allure Of The Seas
Carnival Breeze
Oasis Of The Seas x3
Liberty Of The Seas x4
Freedom Of The Seas x3
Navigator Of The Seas x2
Explorer Of The Seas x2
Voyager Of The Seas
Enchantment Of The Seas
Rhapsody Of The Seas
Majesty Of The Seas
Monarch Of The Seas
Sovereign Of The Seas
Celebrity Mercury
Carnival Victory
Old February 27th, 2009, 06:35 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

I expect some kind of cheesy entertainment while cruising, I like cheesy.. While a good deal of it is excellent and almost professional, after all, its a cruise ship, I'm not paying for a broadway production in New York or something.

Message Boards Moderator
Old February 27th, 2009, 08:52 AM
Admiral

Default Re: 'cheesy' cruise acts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hombre
ps: i didn't respond to pmotter's blog directly because i don't exactly know how -- that is honest, but, i hope, not 'cheesy.' and with all respects to his short experience as a theatre manager, i must say that the lighting, the sound, the staging, the special effects that exist on modern ships -- nothing covers up 'cheesy.' nothing makes 'chicken salad' out of 'chicken s---!'
I've believed all your recent posts except this statement. At the bottom of Paul's blog there is a place to add comments. You put in your name (any name will do), email address, and your comment. Its easy, try it. 8)

"Carpe diem quam minimum credula postero"

Horace

Seven Seas Explorer - Miami - Venice - Mar 2017

Silverseas Explorer - Arctic - Aug 2017

Seven Seas Voyager - Rome to Beijing - Oct 2017

Seven Seas Mariner - Lima to Buenos Aires - Jan 2018

Silverseas Explorer - Siberia - Jul 2018

Seven Seas Mariner - Australia Circumnavigation - Dec 2018
Old February 27th, 2009, 09:56 AM
Admiral

I go along with most of the other comments above. What's cheezy to one person, is entertainment to another.
There seems to be a trend to book hypnotists aboard ships lately. To me, these are absolutely cheezy! I guess they're entertaining to some, but to me they are just crap. I'd rather see a juggler, and that's saying something. (No, I don't care much for jugglers either, with rare exceptions,,,like the "Ladder Guy" who used to entertain,,,I think aboard Princess or Celebrity ships.)

Ken
"SKY"
Old February 27th, 2009, 02:26 PM
First Mate

did i say there was anything wrong with 'cheezy?' just recognize it for what it is and not try to make it something else. i can enjoy 'cheese', too. and that is what you almost always get on cruise lines -- so, folks, back off of me a little bit. cheezy can be fun, and usually is, but when i hear people on ships raving about performances as 'new york quality' it rankles me, because it is not, cannot be,, and will never be. i enjoy it for what it is if i choose to stay after the first fifteen minutes. actually, most of what is produced anywhere is 'cheesy' -- even on broadway. las vegas is the center of the 'cheese' industry. but it is meant to be just that, and so what? art auctions and displays on ships are pure cheese, nothing else. if one buys there, one is buying cheese, with no real value whatsoever. do i mean 'cheese' should be eliminated from cruises? well of course not. cruises by their very nature are 'cheezy.' and i love them and 'bathe' in it all. -- up to a point. so, just enjoy the cheese, but watch your cholesterol level!

[/list]
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Admiral

Send a message via MSN to Dave the Wave Send a message via Yahoo to Dave the Wave

I have been called cheesey..

Read and post cruise reviews

Song of America Dec '90
Starship Majestic May '89
Sovereign X 5
Majesty Jul '01
Enchantment X 4
Regal Empress Dec '02
Sensation '04
Mariner May '07 April '08
Grandeur Feb '08
Inspiration Oct '08
Radiance of the Seas Oct '10
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:34 PM
First Mate

Alot ot the time, I just skip the shows but I love a good comedian. I'll laugh out loud, and embarras even myself, if he/she is cheesy enough!
Old February 27th, 2009, 03:44 PM
First Mate

dtw, i'll bet you have been called 'cheezy.' but cheezy can be good and fun, and that's what you project. crackers with your cheese??
Old March 1st, 2009, 09:59 AM
Admiral

HEY,,,Dave isn't cheezy! How could anybody with beer mugs for glasses be cheezy????? I don't get it?

Ken
"SKY"
Old March 1st, 2009, 11:33 AM
Admiral

What kind of entertainment would you consider to be "not cheezy"? What sort of entertainment do you think would better suit your tastes?

Considering the amount that many people pay for their cruises these days...to expect Broadway or Vegas quality is a wee bit much. I think the last time I saw a Broadway show, we saw "Ragtime" which was in my opinion far from cheezy and was excellent to the point of driving much of the audience to tears because it was very emotionally moving. I believe we paid well over $100 per ticket. Now it is just not realistic to expect that caliber of entertainment on a cruise ship when many folks these days are spending less than $50 per day to cruise and that for the most is all inclusive aside from gratuities, alcohol and pictures and other extras. The one thing that really works my last nerve is the trend of Cruiselines that are going to canned or pre-recorded music. I really try to support live music and support the cruiselines that use it. Carnival and NCL usually will have a house orchestra/combo on most sailings. I have sang with several of these musicians and I can tell you that they are top notch, many of them playing several instruments to give the most bang for the buck and they do a great job.

Read and post cruise reviews
Old March 2nd, 2009, 08:06 AM
First Mate

as a former professional musician, i could not agree with you more about 'canned' music; it never trumps a live performance by musicians who know what they're doing. that said, i'm sure all of have had to sit through performances that were so lacking that a good old tape would have been preferable. the trend to cut the 'pit' back to synthesizers, bass and drums has been going on for a long time, and it is a shame. i guess to sum this up for me, the adapted saying 'cheese is as cheese does' works.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 01:49 PM
Admiral

One person's trash is another's treasure and vice versa.

Good people sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.

Courage and perserverance have a magical talisman; before which difficulties disappear and obstacles vanish into the air.

Pick your company wisely! Hang around people who are going to help you become all God created you to be.
Old March 2nd, 2009, 03:40 PM
Admiral

well I normally don't go to all the shows anymore because I feel they are "cheesy"; I can do the cheese once, but I don't like seeing the same show twice.
I will give props to the recent "pit" on Carnival; they were not canned and played very welll... however, IMHO, the cruise ships try to appeal to the mass market by doing the variety show, the very essence of cheesy is a variety show... what I don't like much is doing two shows on one cruise that have passengers as entertainers; either do the passenger talent show or the Carnival Legend show, but NOT both... if you took out the good portions of each show, it would have been a great show, but two on one cruise; well that's just imitation CHEESY as Carnival did not have to pay the help
Valor Feb 2009: Dina & Marty - again
Grandeur Feb 2008: DTW, Dina & Marty
Inspiration May 26, 2007
Fascination: Feb 2007
Enchantment of Seas: Sept 2006
Imagination (3x)
Radiance of the Seas
Majesty of the Seas
The Big Red Boat