Old May 16th, 2009, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by FL_Cruiser64
Hey Scott,
what cabin are you in on the Ruby on Dec 17? R750??
No, R501 actually. Balcony Catagory BB.

Majesty of the Seas - 10/03 & 02/07 & 11/08
Enchantment of the Seas - 10/04 & 10/11
Mariner of the Seas - 10/05
Vision of the Seas - 10/06 & 09/07
Carnival Liberty - 10/07
Adventure of the Seas - 9/08
Ruby Princess - 12/09
Voyager of the Seas - 9/10
Carnival Spirit - 11/10
Oasis of the Seas - 9/13
Old May 16th, 2009, 10:55 PM
Passenger

On my recent cruise the service was better than my past 4 so i dont feel the service is going down to bad, as far as the price they lowered the price of our cruise by almost 500 and all we had to do was call and ask the cruise actualy went back up even higher just before sailing.
Old May 17th, 2009, 05:57 PM
Administrator
Admiral

British and European cruisers often (the majority of the time) pay more for a U.S. based cruised. Even with a currency conversion it is still more. There are taxes added to many cruise and travel fares that are not added to U.S. residents. Also the base fare is often more even after currency conversion.

This is a big reason that U.S. agents have a large number of Europeans who book with them. They get a better deal.

Like anything this isn't always true. A European cruise will often be less for Europeans because the cruise line has discounted it for locals. This is the same as they do to Florida and California residents in order to fill the ship.

In regard to the OP I can understand that they are irritated because others paid less than they did. Even if it is supplements or fees it still boils down to a fare and the cruise line can price it however they want to, at any time, in order to fill or not fill the ship.

It's where I disagree with my boss, (Paul Motter). He advocates booking as far out as you can and I believe that if you aren't picky about the ship or the exact location of your cabin and the itinerary or area are the most important for you, it's better to book later. I can't remember a cruise I've booked where the price did not drop. Also, YOU need to watch the pricing because few agents will or have the ability to watch all of their bookings.

Take care,
Mike

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old May 17th, 2009, 10:58 PM
Cruise Maniac

I used to book early, now I think the closer to the cruise better the prices will be.

We have enjoyed a Chartered cruise in Boston going to Bermuda on RCCL. Since it was a charter royal did not own the booking. First year we booked early and got burned. Next time we booked 2 weeks before the cruise and got a bargain. When we have to fly to a port, we don't have that luxury due to air fare.
Old May 17th, 2009, 11:12 PM
Admiral

Mike,

I see both sides to the equation. I look at it this way:

If one doesn't care that much about type or location of cabin (especially even whether it be inside or outside) then I have to agree with you.

If, however, you want a specific type of cabin and/or location, then you'll probably be running a lot of risks by waiting until a week or two prior to sailing hoping the price will fall. Of course, the lower the expectations the better you'll come out ahead.

Since the ship itself and the cabin is my "thing," I'd probably always book early and then wear the :evil: hat if I could have gone a lot more cheaply.

Todd
Old May 22nd, 2009, 11:39 AM
Beginner

I am curious to know if this is the OP's first cruise with RCI. Our Med cruise onboard the Brilliance will be our second with RCI. On our first cruise onboard the Jewel, we had My Time Dining and our gratuities were pre-paid. Having sailed 4 times before with Princess, this concept is not new to us as the gratuities are prepaid on Princess ships regardless of what type of dining you use.

To date we have received in combined savings certificates and OBC, close to $500 and just recently, a price drop of $1200 based on a senior's rate. Had I not visited the RCI website, I would not have noticed the price drop and I would imagine some passengers will miss this chance. Does that mean they have recourse against RCI because thery were not advised? That's a tricky question and similar to the basis of your lawsuit.
Old May 24th, 2009, 12:07 PM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via AIM to nycruiser

This is an interesting post. With all due respect to the OP. I know your upset and I can' blame you. Travel companies are fustrating and at times difficult to understand. I was a travel agent for 11 years and in that time I learned a lot about the travel industry. Some policies are not fair! And believe me when I say this Royal Caribbean IS NOT the only line or travel company for that matter that does this!!!!! And if you really want unfair you should start with the airlines. Those guys are CRAZY!!!!

Anyway to the OP, I realize you understand availability but just to add to that (I am sure you know this) cruise lines, just as any other business operate on supply and demand. It is NO secret. When a sailing is not selling the rates drop....sometimes by a little sometimes by a lot, as you have found-this is no way abnormal. When a sailing is popular the prices don't drop but go up. For instance, many times I had people that wanted to cruise from NYC in the summer. Typically these sailings are full and people book in way in advance. My client had wanted to leave on a certain sailing on RCI's Explorer with only two weeks notice. The sailing was sold out and when one cabin came available the rate was SKY HIGH, actually RCI was charging the highest they could for the cabin category because the sailing was sold out. Had the sailing have a lt of openings the rates would have been really low - but that wasn't the case. I had the same experience with Princess, Holland America, Carnival, Celebrity, etc. All of these lines follow that business model. Its actually pretty simple. The fact of the matter is ANY cruise line can lower prices to whatever rate they want to fill their ships. Because so long as they get a body in that cabin at whatever rate, even if its low, they will make some sort of onboard revenue on them. And onboard revenue IS THE bread and butter of the mass market cruise industry and NOT the cruise fare.

As a TA everyone would say to me "oh you get to cruise and travel cheap". Well yes and no....with the cruises we were able to get travel agent rates that were really really cheap ONLY on sailing that were not selling. Again the cruise line at the last minute would release travel agent rates a week or two before a cruise would sail. The cruise lines would wait to see if a sailing would sell and if it did not then the last ditch effort would be getting a TA onboard for 30 per night, per person in thehopes that the TA would spend their money on OBC. But never do the lines give a TA discount on a sailing that has two or three cabins left.

Actually cruise line's are fairer then the airlines at least most lines honor price drops as many have pointed out, so long as the new rates are not for new bookings only. And travel agents in the U.S. at least, can honor price drops. A good agent will honor them even though it cuts their commission. It is just good biz practice to honor them.

In regards to single supplement fees being waived for certain people, again this is a form of a promotion given to stimulate bookings at the last minute IF the sailing is not selling. Never had this happen to me as a TA but possibly a supervisor at RCI could honor that for a booking that was made awhile back. But maybe that single supplement promo is for new bookings?

In regards to resident fares there is a whole reason why that is done and I used to know it! But I forget,again, bottom line I beleive these are given to stimulate bookings on sluggish selling sailings.

Please don't take my post as being arrogant. I am just giving you my understanding of the travel industry from a person who has been in it for 11 years. As with any business it can be unfair and it gets complicated. Thats why for some a good TA who knows their stuff is worth their weight in gold.

With all honesty I don't think you can win a lawsuit based on the premise you have. What you are upset about is common practice in the travel industry and not just cruise lines or RCI.

Not trying to be rude or smart but seriously there is a good book about the cruise industry. I read it early on in my career and I think its a great read. It is called "Selling the Sea: An Inside look at the cruise industry" 2nd Edition by Bob Dickinson and Andy Vladimir. Bob Dickinson was the former president of Carnival Cruise Lines for I think 30 years or more and to many considered one of the founding fathers of the industry. He and Vladimir do a great job at explaining the ins and outs and behind the scenes of the cruise industry. And they just dont talk about how many meals are made in a day, this book goes way beyond that and discuss pricing as well as residency rates. I learned about why they do residency rates from this book (but since forgot!!!). Anyway its a good read and will help you or anyone get a better understanding of the cruise industry.

Just try to regroup. I know its fustrating but knowledge is power, read up on the industry this way the next time around you will feel more at ease with travel and cruise policies.

Again, please don't take this post as being nasty or even elitist. Just trying to give you a viewpoint from someone who WAS in the business. BTW, I left the travel industry and became a teacher! Believe me its even a lousy business to be work in..haha!! Good luck...
Old May 27th, 2009, 05:30 PM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to JSnow789

I love living in Florida and being able to take a last minute cruise.

Leaving on Friday on Monarch 3 night Bahamas and the single supplement was $20. That's on a base cruise rate that was already LESS than the port charges and taxes... Add the shareholder OBC and it was a steal.

It was a bit crazy that the pricing for an ocean view was less than an inside but I snatched it up and am not complaining.

Bon Voyage!

~~~~~~~
Norwegian Windward May, 1993 (before she became the 'Wind')
Explorer Feb, 2007
Legend Aug, 2008
Grandeur Mar, 2009
Monarch May, 2009
Monarch Sep, 2009
Enchantment Nov, 2009
Liberty Jan, 2010
Old June 1st, 2009, 01:01 AM
Passenger

I'm a solo traveler, have been for 30+ years and for years there was always a single supplement of some sort, although in the last decade hotels have pretty much stopped the practice. When I started cruising in 2005 paying 200% was more than I had ever paid as a solo traveler but I wanted to cruise. What I learned on my first cruise was simple: some people paid more, some people paid less, some had balconies or suites, others had oceanview or inside cabins. Regardless of category no one seemed to pay the same amount for the same category. That taught me to only pay what I felt was a fair price and not ask what others paid.

If I were charged differently b/c I'm a woman or b/c of my ethnic background or martial status that would be discrimination. But the difference in pricing isn't based on any of those thngs but rather what the market will bear or not. JMHO.

It would be great if there were no single supplement but it is the price I'm willing to pay to cruise.