Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Crewmembers

Crewmembers If you work on a ship or have in the past

Old December 27th, 2014, 11:56 AM
Welcome Newcomer

Default Holland America Youth Staff

Hello Everyone!

I'm a 5 year YC veteran, 4 years with DCL, 1 with NCL. My husband (who I met and worked with on ships) is finishing up his IT certifications and we're thinking about getting back into ship life. We are drawn to the diversity of itineraries on HAL, but as I'd be applying for kids club (I'm a teacher on land), I would like to know what life for YC's is like. DCL YCs have very little time to be off the ship, and NCL had a good amount during port days (2 crew needed to be onboard in port, everyone else started their shift when the ship left port). I would love any advice from current/ former Youth Staff for Holland America about working hours and time off in port. HUGE thanks in advance!
Old January 2nd, 2015, 08:34 AM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gildy View Post
Hello Everyone!

I'm a 5 year YC veteran, 4 years with DCL, 1 with NCL. My husband (who I met and worked with on ships) is finishing up his IT certifications and we're thinking about getting back into ship life. We are drawn to the diversity of itineraries on HAL, but as I'd be applying for kids club (I'm a teacher on land), I would like to know what life for YC's is like. DCL YCs have very little time to be off the ship, and NCL had a good amount during port days (2 crew needed to be onboard in port, everyone else started their shift when the ship left port). I would love any advice from current/ former Youth Staff for Holland America about working hours and time off in port. HUGE thanks in advance!
Welcome to to the forum.

I cant give you much info regarding the YC position, but if your husband is intending to work for HAL in IT, the last I heard is that they don't get much time off as its pretty full on. That was what I heard a few years ago. They may have re-organized things since then. If it helps, I know at Royal pretty much every position, most staff get a decent break during the day, with the exception of certain positions like engineers.