Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Open Debate

Open Debate The only forum to discuss politics and religion. Please keep it civil.

Old April 28th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Admiral

Default High Plains Moochers

I have been tempted to write something about the infamous Mr. Bundy, the former right-wing hero, now pariah.

But I don't have to. Paul Krugman did an exemplary job in this morning's New York Times, and I really urge everyone to read his thoughts, liberals and conservatives alike. I think he's hit it bang-on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/04/28/op...f=opinion&_r=0
Old April 28th, 2014, 03:22 PM
Admiral

Needless to say, it has been an interesting few weeks in terms of news cycles...I think one almost has to step back and assume a helicopter perspective in the context of how partisian media coverage and extreme political agendas impact coverage

I noticed how FOX and conservative right wing talk radio is covering the LA Clippers situation...can't wait to watch "The Factor" this evening
Old April 28th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by venice View Post
I noticed how FOX and conservative right wing talk radio is covering the LA Clippers situation...can't wait to watch "The Factor" this evening

Haven't got the stomach for it myself. Anyway, tonight we're running "12 Years a Slave" in the TransLux, finally catching up on some of the flicks we've missed. Ironic, ain't it? We tend to watch in our home theater these days, because you never know what'll happen to you in a movie house!
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Familiar Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by AR View Post
Haven't got the stomach for it myself. Anyway, tonight we're running "12 Years a Slave" in the TransLux, finally catching up on some of the flicks we've missed. Ironic, ain't it? We tend to watch in our home theater these days, because you never know what'll happen to you in a movie house!
I'd argue you're safer in "a movie house" than you are on a cruise ship.
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:35 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltnprncess View Post
I'd argue you're safer in "a movie house" than you are on a cruise ship.

I feel perfectly safe in either place.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old April 28th, 2014, 05:47 PM
Admiral

If you lived in Georgia these days, you could be carry your weapon into the theatre with you
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:07 PM
Admiral

Quote:
If you lived in Georgia these days, you could be carry your weapon into the theatre with you
Which is one reason I won't be moving to Georgia.

It's funny you should mention this Venice, because I was having a conversation with Terry today about intentionally not returning to certain states. I've spent time (not just plane changes) in 47 of the 50 states, and her count is pretty close to that. We've been to most of them multiple times. And I've just got no reason to ever go back to Georgia, for example. Or a lot of other Southern and Midwestern states either.

Mind you, I wouldn't view this as a boycott in any financial sense. I know perfectly well that whatever money we would or wouldn't spend in these places is insignificant in the scheme of things. It's about our comfort level, in exactly the way you mention. Guns on every hip in Georgia, effigies of a black president hanging by a noose in an Arkansas field, hate speech at the next table over in the Arizona restaurant, ignorance on open display in all those places and others as well. Worse, so often there is pride taken in being ignorant.

Yes, there's some ignorance and hate where I live too. You can never completely escape it. But you have to live somewhere.

Comfort is an important thing. When son Kevin graduated from college, Maya Angelou was the commencement speaker. I remember that she said, "I feel comfortable here." She went on, saying that she takes comfort in being in environments where people choose to learn (and to learn to learn), to think, to explore, to listen as well as speak, and to have their views collide in civil ways.

Naturally, there will be exceptions to our "no visit" list. We have family in South Carolina and Florida, friends in Texas and North Carolina and Tennessee. We'd certainly visit them, and others, when the opportunities present. But, beyond revisiting people and places we love, there's nothing new on our US bucket list.

Some of you will say, "Fine. Stay away. We don't want you here anyway." And to that extent, we agree.
Old April 28th, 2014, 10:26 PM
Admiral

Which reminds me, this is my favorite graphic from the pre-Show reel at the TransLux. Other big advantage of home theater: food and drink readily available at popular prices.
Old April 29th, 2014, 06:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:

Now we can relive some of our history. We can have gunfights in the bars and in the streets. I have been a fan of ' Gunsmoke ' for years, now you can just see all those shootings in person instead of watching them on TV.

What a country!

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old April 29th, 2014, 08:55 AM
Admiral

Manuel...ever wonder why you don't see minority representation at the NRA, RNC, CPAC, Tea Party national conventions as voting delegates:confused (watching on tv, I can count on both hands)

The 2nd Ammendment Right To Bear Arms has a different application by the NRA when it comes to minorities

Georgia could be a test case waiting to happen...what do you think would happen if the infamous standoff grazing rancher was a minority and 600 legally armed minorities came to defend him

There is a great book entitled "Deacons for the Defense" which is the story of the Civil Rights movement in the 60's in the deep South when African Americans armed themselves to defend their communities against the violence of the KKK...take a look at the reaction from the State legislatures with the full support of the NRA

With a rise in domestic violence in our Country, do you think it's wise to have 39 guns in your home (as did a former NRA leader)
Old April 30th, 2014, 06:48 PM
Admiral

[QUOTE=venice;1499557]

Manuel...ever wonder why you don't see minority representation at the NRA, RNC, CPAC, Tea Party national conventions as voting delegates:confused (watching on tv, I can count on both hands)

QUOTE]

I find that racism is very prevalent in ways and places that you don't expect.
I personally have been subjected to discrimination because of my national heritage.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:36 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Why is it okay for the "Nobel Prize-winning" economic laureate Paul Krugman to use a phrase like "Welfare Queens" where if a conservative even mentions the word welfare WITHOUT THE PERJORTIVE PHRASES ADDED they are branded as racist?

Dear Liberals - the people who talk about race the most are the true racists. Especially when you interject words like "welfare queen." Being a non-racist means race is NOT AN ISSUE to a person. And just because you use A FILTHY RACIST PHRASE to describe someone who you think is conservative does not make it acceptable.

You have to give Liberals the credit for at least one area - DOUBLE STANDARDS. And if there is any "nut job" on the planet with a bigger messiah complex than Paul Krugman I can't think of one. he actually believes he can say anything and is immune to criticism. Boy, The man is blowhard of the first degree and this piece is proof...

"Wefare Queen" really???? disgusting.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 04:41 PM
Admiral

Is Welfare Queen any more disgusting than Drama Queen?

Done:

Carnival Horizon Transatlantic

Carnival Splendor Panama Canal

Royal Princess

Vision of the Seas

Carnival Miracle Alaska

Carnival Diamond
Princess Platinum
and more...