Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Cruise Deals. Cruise Questions and Answers! > Ask CruiseMates Staff

Ask CruiseMates Staff Got a question? Our staff will do its best to help.

Old February 24th, 2001, 08:05 PM
Hope

Default Ft. Lauderdale Pier

Hi -

This is my first cruise and we will be leaving out of Ft. Lauderdale on Holland America for the Western Caribbean. My question is this - we're being dropped off at the pier for a 5:00 p.m. sailing on Sunday. What time should we get there to avoid the heavy traffic? Exactly where should we be dropped off?

When we arrive back at 8:00 a.m. the following Sunday - what time should we plan on being picked up?

I'm leaving in two weeks from Sunday and I am terribly excited. I understand once you cruise all other vacations pale.

I would appeciate your input. Thanks, Hope
Old February 25th, 2001, 01:17 AM
Carole Dunham

Default Re: Ft. Lauderdale Pier

Hi Hope,

I have never found the traffic in and out of Port Everglades to be that bad, so just find out when your ship opens for boarding. It's usually around noon. You'll want to do it as early as possible in order to get any reservations at alternative restaurants, straighten out any possible problems with your regular dining room reservations and book any hair, nail or spa services you will want. Just go to the port which is at the end of I-595 and follow the very clear directions. The signs to your particular ship will also be very well marked.

On the way back, the ship will dock very early in the morning. The ships are usually completely empty sometime between 9:30 and 10:00AM. If you have whomever is picking you up be there at 8:30 or so and advise them they may have to wait a bit, you should be just fine. You're right. Cruising is like nothing else in the world. Have the perfect first cruise!

Carole
Old February 25th, 2001, 07:23 PM
hobbsey

Hi Hope,

Fort Lauderdale is the home cruise port for more 5 star premium cruise ships than anyother port in the country. You are going to love the pace and stlye of a HAL cruise.

I realize that you are first timers and the excitement of getting to and on board the ship is probably at a pretty high level.

But my recommendation is to arrive at the pier a bit later than the normal boarding time. I'd arrive at 2 or 2:30 which will lmean that the ship is probably already over half filled. But it will mean a much easier pace in the terminal.

Port EVerglades streetches south of the 17th St. causeway at the intercoaster waterway. It is very convenient to the airport and to all of the major haighways such as I95. The approach to the port is clearly marked and you'll be sailing out of the mid port area almost due east of the airport.

Your pick up should probably be at the pier no later than 9 am....debarkation will most likely begin by then and the ship will be emptied in the order of the importance you indicated to the cruiseline depending on your outward bound schedule (those with earlier flight get off the ship sooner than those who drive in).

Congratulations on your frist cruise you'll have a wonderful and stress-free week.

Jeff Hobbs
Old February 25th, 2001, 07:24 PM
hobbsey

Hi Hope,

Fort Lauderdale is the home cruise port for more 5 star premium cruise ships than any other port in the country. You are going to love the pace and stlye of a HAL cruise.

I realize that you are first timers and the excitement of getting to and on board the ship is probably at a pretty high level.

But my recommendation is to arrive at the pier a bit later than the normal boarding time. I'd arrive at 2 or 2:30 which will mean that the ship is probably already over half filled. But it will mean a much easier pace in the terminal.

Port Everglades streatches south of the 17th St. causeway at the intercoaster waterway. It is very convenient to the airport and to all of the major highways such as I95. The approach to the port is clearly marked and you'll be sailing out of the mid port area almost due east of the airport.

Your pick up should probably be at the pier no later than 9 am....debarkation will most likely begin by then and the ship will be emptied in the order of the importance you indicated to the cruiseline, depending on your outward bound schedule (those with earlier flights get off the ship sooner than those who drive in).

Congratulations on your frist cruise you'll have a wonderful and stress-free week.

Jeff Hobbs
Old February 28th, 2001, 08:19 PM
Karen Geedy

We have a group of 12 sailing from Ft. Lauderdale on Sat. March 17th on HAL's Massdam. What ship are you sailing? Hope you enjoy your cruise, as I know you will. We have three couples going with us for thier first cruise and I am looking forward to sharing thier first time experiences.
Old March 1st, 2001, 03:17 AM
Hope

Hi -

Yes we are going on the Massdam also, but on March 11th! It would have been neat if you were on the same ship. We can wave to each other as I get off and you get on. This is my very first cruise but my mother's 10th - at least (she's been around the world!) We're looking forward to quality time together and leaving the men at home.

Hope you have a great time. I got a lot of information about HAL on these message boards - and helpful information for the pier.

Go sailing!

Hope
Old March 6th, 2001, 01:36 AM
Passenger

I don't agree with the poster who recommended getting to the pier later. I thought that would be a good idea several years ago on a Bermuda cruise out of New York, and I was very smug about the fact that we wouldn't have to wait like the other passengers, because we would come after they were done. Unfortunately a major fuel oil spill closed the Long Island Expressway, tying up traffic on every route into NYC. We were nervous wrecks, picturing the ship sailing without us on it. Luckily we made it, but we would never try a late arrival again. And by the way - the welcoming lunch buffet is going to be just finishing up if you wait to arrive at the pier until 2:30.