Old August 19th, 2002, 08:33 PM
Beginner

Default "FREE CRUISE?"

Hi , My wife and I bought a new car and part of the package was a "Free" 4 day cruise to the Bahamas. Reading the fine print revealed a $15 documentation processing fee and a $199 per person "Port Tax". This does not sound too free. Is there really a port taxe charged on a regular cruise. We would be leaving from Ft Lauderdale.
Old August 19th, 2002, 10:25 PM
Passenger

Default Re: "FREE CRUISE?"

Almost makes sense to me. When you book a cruise, there is always additional Port Fees and Taxes tacked on. It might be worth looking at the cruiseline's website and see what it would normally cost and varify the Port Tax is within reason. For instance, a 4-day Bahamas cruise for 2 on the Royal Caribbean's on the Majesty of the Seas would run $558 cruise plus 58.30 for a total of $616.30 taxes and fees. So the $199pp may be high. Double check the cruise line the trip is being offered through tho.

Check out my guide for first time cruisers http://www.vsn.org/cruise

6/2002 Radiance Alaska
10/2002 Radiance Pacific NW
11/2003 11-Night Eastern on the Brilliance
Old August 20th, 2002, 03:09 AM
First Mate

Hi,
It is probably correct as far as Port Tax goes. A lot of advertisements for cruises list the "price" and then the fine print says that Port Charges and taxes are extra. This is what the cruise line has to pay to use the facilities in port. An example from my TA lists a cruise for $969 but at the bottom states $200 in Port Charges. Yet their price for a different line includes the port charges. In both cases taxes extra. (total cost for each cruise line about even!)

If you want, check the applicable cruise line (or travel) web site and see what it would cost. I know that RCCL includes Port charges in their quote, and tells you the added taxes. Sort of like all the added fees on an airline ticket.

richard

Post Edited (08-20-02 03:11)
Old August 20th, 2002, 11:08 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re:

Thanks for the info, I feel better now. I will check into it further. Looking forward to our first cruise.....
Old August 20th, 2002, 11:09 AM
Beginner

Default Re: Re: "FREE CRUISE?"

Thanks for the help....
Old August 31st, 2002, 08:17 PM
Admiral

It's a darn scam! You are paying very high port fees and taxes to make up for the 'supposedly free' cruisefare. Do not deal with any company that plays these games, they are not trustworthy IMHO. Tell the dealership that "free" means you don't pay anything, bet they will give it to you. Also make darn sure it isn't one of those 'timeshare' deals!
Jim
Community Staff Leader

Old September 18th, 2002, 09:38 AM
Cruise Maniac

Send a message via MSN to Bob

BOGUS!!! These kinds of scams are created to prey on the "uninitiated". The dealer probably pays nothing on his end, and maybe even gets a little "kickback" from the con artists who put this together. I would not trust anyone who is engaged in this type of hustle. What is advertised as free should be free. I'd tell the agency manager that it is the dealership's responsibility to pick up all the costs, to make it "free", as offered. Don't forget the words of P. T. Barnum: "There's a sucker born every minute." Don't you be one of them. P.S. There are a lot of great bargins to be had. It is possible for you to book a seven-day cruise on an 4-star ship for under $350.00 complete, including all taxes and fees!