Old January 24th, 2015, 01:15 AM
Cruise Maniac

Post Royal Caribbean's Dyamic Dining: Mass dissatisfaction, feeble solutions

Here is a great article by David Kriso, of the New York Travel Examiner; that completely relates my personal experience on Quantum of the Seas, The Maiden Voyage, Nov. 2, 2014.

Royal Caribbean's Dynamic Dining: Mass dissatisfaction, feeble solutions, examiner.com:

Royal Caribbean's Dyamic Dining: Mass dissatisfaction, feeble solutions - New York Travel | Examiner.com
Old January 24th, 2015, 06:27 AM
Cruise Maniac

Just read that "Article" and all the comments.

What seems to come out of it, is if you don't "Understand" what Dynamic Dining is and are expecting a Main Dining Room with set dinner time every night, then you are going to be disappointed, waiting around because you couldn't reserve what you wanted before you cruised (it's not hard to plan ahead, you managed to book the cruise and do your set sail pass, this is no different) and making your experience worse by not being organised. Then complaining that it's all not working and wrong and needs to be changed to how you used to like it.

The system has changed. The reason for Dynamic Dining is choice for customers and money for RCCL.
Before, I would sit in the MDR every night and never do a speciality restaurant all cruise.
Now, I have booked 4 paid for options and reserved my gala night for when it suits me. With this added expense on my cruise, it really is not that much, seeing how much the cruise is in total. I like choice and always liked the look of chops grill but thought "I've already paid for my food in the price of the cruise, why pay more to eat somewhere else?" But now I'm changing restaurants every night, I will try the different places, but the speciality restaurants appeal more to me and the cover charge isn't as high as I thought it would be. I'm on holiday and I will treat myself to nice things, dinner is one of these.

I understand that gkbii hasn't had a good experience but from what you have posted before, it seems you never had a good experience. You have managed to do 2 maiden voyages and not enjoyed either of them. STOP doing it then. You have searched and searched the internet to find someone's view that agrees with you, and yes, someone out there will always write bad reviews. It's what the internet is made for. Read the comments and you can see both sides of the coin.

So the outcome of this post is this.
Plan your holiday to achieve enjoyment.
Don't go thinking a new ship with new concepts is going to be like an old ship with traditional concepts. That's just na´ve. It's not like no one didn't tell you before you left home.
If I didn't want to try dynamic dining, I'll cruise on a different ship/company, not go and moan about it.

Need some cruise help?
Old January 24th, 2015, 09:23 AM
Captain

As my Daddy always said: "One man's trash is another man's treasure." So be it with cruising. What I like and find wonderful others will find they hate it. That's life!

Need some cruise help?
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:38 AM
Admiral

I can understand some peoples view, when did cruising become so complicated?
At one time all you had to do is choose a ships,itinary, cabin & dining time.
With DD it now requires you to think more about what you think you might want and on what days and if your on the Oasis class of ship don't forget to pick you showtime.

One thinkg I loved about cruising is the ease of it and for me all these changes seem to be taking that away. I will be on Allure early next year and I imagine that DD will be active and the kinks worked out so I will have a better feel for if its something I find works best for me. ⚓️⚓️
Old January 24th, 2015, 11:57 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post

One thing I loved about cruising is the ease of it and for me all these changes seem to be taking that away. I will be on Allure early next year and I imagine that DD will be active and the kinks worked out so I will have a better feel for if its something I find works best for me. ⚓️⚓️

I also liked the way cruising used to be. Fixing what is not broken is not necessary.

I will also be on the Allure and I think that everything will be fine. I have been twice on the Oasis and once on the Allure. Both times we were able to simplify the experience and we had a great time.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old January 24th, 2015, 12:55 PM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manuel View Post
I also liked the way cruising used to be. Fixing what is not broken is not necessary.

I will also be on the Allure and I think that everything will be fine. I have been twice on the Oasis and once on the Allure. Both times we were able to simplify the experience and we had a great time.

TM
Being on Allure with The Last Gang could be nothing less than spectacular!
Old January 25th, 2015, 10:03 PM
Cruise Maniac

I should note that my first transatlantic was on the Adventure of the Seas, which was outstanding!! A month later, I was on the Epic and there was no comparison. I am normally VERY pro-Royal, but I try to look at things in an objective manner.

I have done 16 cruises, which 6 are transatlantic. Next week I am booking the Allure, April 2015 Transatlantic Crossing. Thus I am giving Royal another chance, on their best ship!
Old January 26th, 2015, 12:44 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aerogirl View Post
Being on Allure with The Last Gang could be nothing less than spectacular!

We will be on great ship with a group of great people. What else can on ask for?

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old January 26th, 2015, 10:36 AM
Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel View Post
we will be on great ship with a group of great people. What else can on ask for?

Tm
👍👍
Old January 26th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Admiral

I just returned from a Quantum cruise .We were a part of a group of 80 people and dined every evening with the same people .
While I would have preferred the MDR concept I realize that things are destined to change.
On my first cruise in 1973 on a Cunard ship ,there was a mandatory dress code for both lunch and dinner and nobody had a problem with that .On my cruise last week the formal attire restaurant required that men wear a jacket and pants ,no ties required.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:24 PM
Cruise Maniac

Hey all,

I am happy to report the Royal has listened and that "traditional classic rotational dining" will gradually replace Dynamic.
Old February 2nd, 2015, 10:46 PM
Cruise Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkbii View Post
Hey all,

I am happy to report the Royal has listened and that "traditional classic rotational dining" will gradually replace Dynamic.
It WON'T replace dynamic but run along side dynamic dining. Classic sounds like a nice option for those who can't plan ahead. The problem with this is one restaurant is Formal/Gala dining and with Dynamic Dining, I choose what night I want formal/Gala and how many times.
With this "Classic" on a 14 night cruise you will have a minimum of 4 formal dining nights. On my 14 night cruise I have booked 2 formal nights and picked them on sea days, so not rushing back from a 10-12 hour excursion and changing for a 6pm seating and feeling rushed.
Also the menu won't change and visiting the four restaurants for 14 nights means you will be eating the same food at least three times, if you like all the menu. If not, this is going to get stale and boring for choice very fast, but thats the price you pay for not being able or willing to pre book your dining options before you travel. Some people just love eating the same food all the time. I like variety and trying new experiences, so dynamic dining is what I want and is probably why RCCL is doing it.

Need some cruise help?
Old March 25th, 2015, 06:50 PM
Cruise Maniac

Well it looks as though, the final Quantum Class Vessel is going to China as well, so perhaps Main Dining will remain in American waters.