Old March 31st, 2006, 11:11 AM
Beginner

Send a message via AIM to wcruises Send a message via Yahoo to wcruises
Default Panama or So. Caribbean

I'm planning a cruise for the end of this year. Our options are either going to Panama/Costa Rica/Belize or Barbados/St. Martinique/St. Maarten. Both are 8 nights on Carnival Legend. The only port I've been to of the above is St. Maarten, which we took an excursion to Orient Bay (pretty fabulous, btw), so really didn't get to see anything else. I've been searching for reviews of these So. Caribbean islands and cannot find anything. I've seen many mixed reviews for Panama and Limon. I'm sure I would be happy with either itinerary, but would love as much feedback as possible. Snorkeling will be a must for one of the stops.
Thanks for your help!!!
Carnival Fantasy 10/08
Caribbean Princess 10/07
Carnival Pride 04/07
Carnival Sensation 11/06
Costa Magica 04/06
Celebrity Zenith 12/05
Caribbean Princess 09/05
Empress of the Seas 05/05
Old March 31st, 2006, 11:19 AM
Yeoman

It depends on what you want. If you want beaches and lounging, then go with the southern. If you want some history and touring, then go with Panama.

We just an 11 night on RCI Brilliance to Key West, Aruba, Gatun Locks/Lake of the canal, and Costa Rica. It was perfect as I got my shopping done in Key West, beach in Aruba, and tours at the other two ports. The canal is something not to be missed. Seeing it in person, and imagining what all they went through to build the canal is awesome. The fact that its still the original stuff is amazing too. This was my second time there (first time went all the way through). I enjoyed this trip as we first rode through the lock on the ship, then got to see it ship go back through the lock up close. Since the US turned over control, you can now drive through what was the old base, and go to the lock station and almost touch the ships youre so close. I heard great reviews about the train tour back and forth along the canal (dont get the dome car as the ac cant keep up with the brutal sun). In Costa Rica, you need to do a tour. We did a boat (canal ride), train, and banana plantation/packing facility tour which was nicely done.

alison
PCL-Caribbean, Alaska, Panama Canal
12/02 RCI-Enchantment-Western Caribbean
12/03 RCI-Navigator-Western Caribbean
12/04 RCI-Mariner-Eastern Caribbean
12/05 RCI-Brilliance-Panama Canal