Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > Practical Advice > Cruise Dress / Packing

Cruise Dress / Packing Recommendations for the best clothes for traveling on ships

Old June 19th, 2002, 01:53 AM
DeniseToAlaska

Default Oh no! Too formal?

I'm cruising to Alaska next week on Carnival Spirit. I have a lovely, very flashy long sparkly gown that I was just dying to wear to the formal dinner, but I read in one of the tips on this site that toned-down simple silk, no flashy is in now.

Will I stick out like a sore thumb? Do people really go all out for the formal dinners now or is it more casual?
Old June 19th, 2002, 08:42 AM
Admiral

Default Re: Oh no! Too formal?

Please accept a man's point of view on this. You can't be over dressed. If you have this killer dress and you like the way you look in it , wear it. Do not think of yourself as being over dressed, think of the others as being underdressed. Formal nights are just that, formal. Certainly some folks wear "less" but that doesn't mean that what is truly appropriate is formal wear for both the men and women. Just the opinion of one guy who thinks that nothing is nicer than a beautifully dressed woman.
Old June 19th, 2002, 09:21 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna
Default Re: Re: Oh no! Too formal?

Hi Denise,
Have to agree with Bill, go ahead and pack that killer dress, I think you will be fine.
Enjoy Alaska!

Message Boards Moderator
Old June 19th, 2002, 12:06 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Re: Oh no! Too formal?

I agree, too. You see all sorts. My mom is one to always pack a slew of drop-dead gowns because she loves wearing 'em. The only time she stuck out was during one of the shows, when the cruise director had them stand up and said, "This is what a couple married 30 years should look like!"

By the way, we are going on the Spirit Oct 19 to Mexico ... please write a review when you get back!

:-)

Harry
Old June 19th, 2002, 07:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

I always go all out on the first formal night. Sequins and all. I have a blast and don't feel at all out of place. The majority of the ladies are really dressed up the first formal night and tend to opt for more of a cocktail dress for the 2nd night.

Jodi

Old June 20th, 2002, 07:41 AM
Marnie

Absolutely, WEAR IT !! I'm always struggling to find clothes that are dressy enough.
Old June 20th, 2002, 07:16 PM
Admiral

I have to agree with all the above posters, if you have a KILLER dress wear it. You will see anything from sequins and sparkles to dressy cocktail dresses. Have a great time, we really enjoy Spirit and would love to hear your comments when you return.

Gaile
Wed nite CM Host Tweety
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:28 AM
DeniseToAlaska

I'm bringing along a pad of paper specifically to make sure I jot down everything for this site.

I LOVED the reviews, wish there were hundreds more for the Spirit, and I'll make sure I tell you everything down to the appetizers each night!

Denise
Old June 21st, 2002, 02:38 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Harry Martin
Default Re: Re: Re: Oh no! Too formal?

Denise, that would be fantastic with the review ... I did the same on my first cruise on the Rhapsody of the Seas ... every night just kept a little journal of what stood out that day.

You know, 2 years after writing my review, I still get a question or two via email from the review, so rest assured you will be helping a lot more.

By the way, I heard on the Carnival board that there is an excellent Sinatra-style singer/group on board that I want to be sure and see when we sail in October. He got raves from several people ... be sure and check it out (just wish I could recall his name right now but it's still posted)

Have a wonderful trip!

Harry
Old June 22nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Admiral

Wear it Denise! Just be sure to shield your eyes from all those camera flashes in your face, as I'm sure you will be beautiful!
Old July 18th, 2002, 06:53 PM
Bill & Debbie

Do it! Be one of the classy folks.
Old August 15th, 2002, 02:30 PM
Passenger

Donna
My long gown is a purple glittery one. I was afraid to wear it too, until now. I'm going for it, beside where else would I wear it. People will just have to wear their sunglasses. :-) Going on the Dawn Princess August 26th.