Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old June 17th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Tom and Darlene

Default Nervous About Diamond Alaska

First Time cruser to Diamond and Alaska, on the Princess message board I am hearing a lot of negatives on this cruise, we are going on Aug 28, any insights??
Old June 17th, 2004, 01:31 PM
Captain

Default Re: Nervous About Diamond Alaska

For what its worth you say it is your first cruise. I would suggest that once you board the ship you find the things that you like and what you enjoy onboard the Diamond Princess. Do not waste your time looking for the things that may have been negative to others. You have nothing to compare the cruise to other than what others are saying and how well do you really know if their likes and dislikes are the same as yours. They also may be comparing things to a past cruise that they have been on. People can tend to expect more of a cruise when they have been on several.

Although cruising is a great way to travel Alaska will keep you in awe on your cruise.

Again look for what does appeal to you on your first cruise and I am willing to bet you can have a great time.
Old June 17th, 2004, 03:01 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

Tom.. I'm on the Diamond Princess Aug 14 (miss you by a couple of weeks). I'm very much looking forward to it... and expect all to be running smoothly by then.

The ship did bump the pier in Victoria a few weeks ago, and it did affect a couple of sailing. Those people returning from those sailings, came back disappointed, and were sharing those feelings.

I think by the time you and I cruise the process will have been smoothed out considerably.

Old June 17th, 2004, 05:57 PM
Admiral

T&D: Don't worry! I'm sure you will have a wonderful time. Just go with an open mind and be very flexible....all will go well!

RCCL Allure of the Seas - September 18, 2011
Celebrity Eclipse - February 11, 2012:
RCCL Navigator OTS - February 9, 2013
Old June 17th, 2004, 07:23 PM
Admiral

Have to agree with Marylou, just go and enjoy. From my point of view, how bad can things be, when someone is waiting on you, feeding you, doing the dishes and arranging your entertainment. I'm sure you will have a great time. Come back with lots of pictures and let us know how much you loved it. Just be prepared to become quite addicted.

Carnival Glory
Old June 18th, 2004, 08:32 AM
Admiral

totally agree with the others - approach your cruise with excitement, anticipation and an open mind. You are in for a treat.
Old June 18th, 2004, 11:21 AM
Yeoman

Don't be! We met up w/ one of the cruisetours at theMcKinley Lodge that Princess owns and for the most part they all had a blast. For some it was a 1st time cruise and for others just a way to kick off summer. It's what you make of it. Now, will tell you that supreme care is going into keeping all ships clean. Have sanitation areas set up for your hands before you board ship and notices to please wash hands in the ports. Just simple common sense.
Anne

Caribbean Princess
Old June 20th, 2004, 08:20 AM
travelling fools

Default Re: Re: Nervous About Diamond Alaska

Just to let you know if you were worried about the not stopping at Victoria for the last month. DON"T! It finally starting docking this past Friday so what was wrong with it[propellers I think from mishap]must have been fixed.It does get windy sometimes in Victoria but the Oosterdam comes in the same night [Friday] and it has always made it.
As for the ship itself I cannot say but we have travelled several times with Princess and have always enjoyed it.I hear people complain about food not that good or rude waiters etc on all ships.Well as long as I do not have to cook I don't care. There is enough food on that cruise that anyone who can't find something to their liking must be awful darm fussy.A cruise is what you make it.Don't let a grumpy waiter or a meal not to your liking etc upset you to the point it ruins your cruise
Have a great trip.