Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old April 6th, 2006, 07:05 AM
Admiral

Hi everybody!

It's Ed and Marybeth from the beautiful Finger Lakes region of upstate New York. We've been married for almost 22 years and have no children, but we have two tabbies that run our lives. I'm an electrician who has worked for the same company for almost 32 years, and DW is in the purchasing dept. for a local hospital.
We're diehard season ticket holders of the Buffalo Bills (21 yrs), so in order to pay for those tickets, we don't cruise nearly enough. We've completed 10 cruises but #11 is on hold until DW recovers from knee surgery.

Ed

Norwegian Majesty
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:19 AM
Passenger

Hi there

I'm Keith - New to CM and managed to get my wrists slapped
for accidently advertising my TA on my first reply.

Noticed you guys have been arround for some time, and by the way you
talk to each other seem like one big family.

So I look forward to joining in on the many, and varied debates.

You guys give me a lift, and a smile, when workload is heavy.

Keep up the good work.

Best egards
Keith
Old April 6th, 2006, 07:25 AM
Admiral

Hi everyone.

I'm Michelle from Orlando, FL. Just turned 29. I am a systems engineer for a defense contractor. My husband Mark owns his own business but is trying to get a "real" job at the moment as well.

We've been on 12 cruises with lucky #13 coming up in a month. Before you get too impressed, though, only two of those cruises have been longer than 4 days!

Cheers,
Michelle P.

Old April 6th, 2006, 08:09 AM
Admiral

Hello to you all,

I'm Tina, my husband is Jim married to him for 24 years. We have two teenagers 17 and 14 and live in a northern suburb of Detroit.

DH works in the automotive field getting all those beautiful new cars and prototypes on display for you all to see. He travels a lot. My job is to keep him and the kids in line, happy, spit shined, fed and pointed in the right direction as well as a home-based TA that I just started for fun.

We went on our first cruise last September and a have another unknown cruise booked for December 30th. on Century. Can't wait, just too bad nobodies heard of it.

Found this site a few months before that cruise and since then has more than a few people that I now call friend.

I find the grass is greener everywhere, just sweeter other places. Just as long as you don't cause yellow spots, it stays that way.

Peace!

Tina

Triumph-9-10-05 First Cruise
Caribbean Princess-9-13-06
Victory- 9-15-07-New England

**A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.**
Old April 6th, 2006, 08:33 AM
Admiral

Hi CruiseMates. I'm Carolin. My DH and I are both 42. We took our first cruise this past Feb. for our 20th anniversary. We were both hooked from the moment we stepped on the ship. We are already talking about booking our next cruise. All of you have given me so many wonderful reviews, I don't know which one to pick.

Life is too short to let the ship of your dreams sail without you.

Carnival Destiny Feb. 2006
Carnival Fascination Feb. 2007
Royal Caribbean Grandeur of the Seas Feb. 2008 The DTW & MsBJ tour
Carnival Valor MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2009
Carnival Glory MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2010
Carnival Dream MsBJ and Dina Feb. 2011
Old April 6th, 2006, 09:24 AM
First Mate

Send a message via MSN to Eaky77

Hello All! I am Erin, 28, and my husband is Peter, 30. We live in Northen Wisconsin, but I grew up in Libertyville Illinois. We were married 10-16-04, so still a newlywed . We took a cruise for our honeymoon, his first, my second. I got him addicted, and we have been on one other one since then, and have one coming up at the end of September. We don't have any kids yet, but we do have 2 furbabies, Max our 1 year old schnauzer mix, and Scamper our 21lb. cat. I found this site about 2 years ago, and I have been here since. I don't post much, only because my questions are usually answered by the time I am ready to ask them. This truly is the worlds best cruising site!

Welcome everyone!
Erin
09-24-06 Destiny
10-02-05 Valor My favorite yet!
10-23-04 Triumph (Honeymoon of my dreams)
12-24-94 Holiday
Old April 6th, 2006, 01:00 PM
Familiar Face

Bill and Leslie from just outside of Pittsburgh, Pa. I will be celebrating the big 5-0 this year and dw is 45. I'm a VP of operations for a mid-sized defence contractor and Leslie is computer systems manager. We have two daughters 16 & 14. Our first cruise was in 2003 and our last was this past August. The girls aren't that interested in cruising (can't figure that out) and there isn't much family on either side to watch them if we go away, so I see many cruises after they are a little older. As an earlier poster stated, I mostly lurk unless I have something to offer. I enjoy re-living cruising thru all the posts. Reading what's up with the CM family is a great way to take a break from the real world!
Caribbean Princess....Jan. 2007
Crown Princess.........Jan. 2008
Caribbean Princess....May 2008
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2009
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2010
Emerald Princess.......Jan. 2011
Old April 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
Yeoman

This is Debbie here from Hubbard, Ohio (NE Ohio right near the PA border) along with my DH of 27 years, Tom. We started cruising 3 years ago, and currently have 3 on the books. Talk about being hooked!

We have a daughter 24, working for the State auditors department in Columbus, and our son is 22 and graduates from college this May, with a degree in Computer Science. He is trying to decide which job offer to take in computer programming, somewhere in Ohio.

We also have 3 cats that live with us, and aren't too happy when we cruise. We have been fortunate enough to have been on one cruisemates cruise and met some wonderful folks, and will again enjoy the company of the cruisemates on the Freedom Frolic this september!

My goal is to visit each Caribbean port, and cruise on as many of the various ships as possible!

NCL Dawn (Repo 14 nite) 11-1-09
RCCL Mariner of the Sea (Mexican Riviera) 4-18-10
1 FFC--Princess

19 finished cruises to date!
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:31 PM
Passenger

Default Introductions Roll Call

Newbies here! It's great to meet everyone and hear about your experiences! We look forward to learning from you.

We are Ben and Kathleen Mooneyhan in southern California. We have two "babies;" a one-year-old rescue Shepherd-Corgi mix (we call him a "Shorgi") and a three-month-old yellow Lab pup. They keep us busy and laughing!

Ben owns a pool company here in so.cal and I work in Federal law enforcement and teach part-time at a university.

We booked a cruise on the Legend of the Seas from Tampa on 11/25/2006 to celebrate our one year anniversary! We went to the Cayman Islands for our honeymoon and are looking forward to going back to Georgetown as it is one of the ports of call.

I wonder if some of you veterans could give some insight as whether you would recommend upgrading from our ocean-view to a balcony cabin.

Anyone planning a trip on Legend on 11/25/06? Would love to hear from you!

Also, we'd love to hear about any must-knows before cruising!
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:42 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to UConn1 Send a message via MSN to UConn1

Jodi here. 30-something, never married, no kids, no pets, just plants.

I work as a Sr. Accountant to cruise - anything that doesn't pay bills or go into retirement, goes into cruise fund. Been on 11 and have numbers 12-14 booked. Been on CM since 2002 and have met most of the wonderful CMer's who live around here.

Jodi
Old April 6th, 2006, 04:43 PM
Captain

Good Afternoon.

Nancy and John from beautiful and sunny Ozark, Al which is located 1 ½ hours south of Montgomery and as Ben said we are know as the " Heart of Dixie?. We celebrate our 27th anniversary this past February on the Inspiration. We have two sons, Ian is 24 and bound for Iraq next month (Air Guard) (Please pray for his safe return) and Brandon is 20 and is in his second year of college. Both of them are Eagle Scouts.
After 22 years of traveling the world and living in Panama and Germany (courtesy of the US Army), I now work for Army Fleet Support working on AH-64D helicopters.
We have been on two previous cruises which compared to some on these boards makes me us real " Newbie’s "...
Have another cruise coming up on 13 Feb 07 on the Holiday.

Have a Great Day
John 8)
Sensation - 2008
Miracle - 2009
Fascination - Feb 2010
Destiny - 2010
Miracle - Feb 2011
Dream - 2011
Elation - 2012
Old April 6th, 2006, 05:47 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

What a coincidence... We have a Jane and Scott (Ms Kalamity) and a Jane and Scott (Doggrommer)

At any rate.. glad to see all the "newish" folks joining in. Nice to "MEET" you all!!!

Welcome the 2 Jane & Scotts, Phyllis & Terry, KeithT, Carolin, Bill & Lesley, Ben & Kathleen, and Nancy & John!!! Hope you all just keep on joining in... and sharing your cruise experiences with all of us.
Old April 9th, 2006, 11:02 AM
Passenger

Send a message via AIM to Travelbugbitten

Hi,

I'm Jim, age 42 and a Disneyholic from New Jersey. I live 12 miles (19 kilometers) east of Philadelphia, PA and 60 miles (96 kilometers) north of Atlantic City, NJ. I've never been married--because I keep finding Miss Left instead of Miss Right--and have no pets. I work as a customer service representative for a Federal government agency. I have been on only one cruise in my entire life. It was on the now-defunct Regency Cruise Lines, the ship the Regent Sun, from October 10-17, 1994. It was a repositioning (repo) cruise--the first of the autumn cruise season--originating from New York City with a stop in Philadelphia and sailing to the eastern and southern Caribbean. I sailed with my mom, who informed me on August 31, 1994 that we, with our TA would be sailing, and had a great time. My next cruise will be on the Disney Cruise Line (DCL) Wonder from December 3-7, 2006 during MouseFest.

Jim
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:02 PM
Captain

I do not post often anymore but I do check the board and I have been around for a while off and on.

I am from Northern Minnesota and I have met a few of the people here in person on a cruise or two as well as Mike M in his own hometown.

I am currently waiting a back to back to back 33 night cruise on the Coral Princess. We leave May 3 and end June 5 and will cruise from Ft Lauderdale to Vancouver, Vancouver to Whittier then Whittier to Vancouver.

We also have a cruise booked for March 2007 through the Panama Canal on Celebrity. This cruise will be with friends for their anniversary and a 50th birthday party.
Old April 9th, 2006, 01:59 PM
Captain

How am I going to get my work done around here with these long, interesting posts to read.
My name is Karen. I do administrative work for an opera music program and have a housecleaning business. My husband is a math teacher and we have a 4 year old son. We are both 39 and live in the beautiful Hudson valley of NY state. I have taken 10 cruises.
I should be cruising this week but cancelled for work reasons. boo-hoo!
Crusiemates is a great place to come and chat and find info about all sorts of things.

Hello All,
Karen
Old April 9th, 2006, 05:06 PM
Cruise Maniac

Default RE:

Hello fellow cruise addicts!! I am Heather, 29y/o from Buffalo, NY and no I do not live in an igloo, have sled dogs, or tire chains on my car! lol
Kidding, but these are some questions I've encountered when I've told people I live just outside a city known for massive snow accumulations! lol

I have been only on one cruise but became instantly addicted! Only 8 days until I leave on my next cruise on Sovereign of the Seas! I am single, work full time as a corporate travel agent, thus I just don't have extra time to travel because we are always working holidays When I'm not working, or saving money to travel, I play ice hockey on a women's recreational team, coed softball 3X a week during those brief couple months that Buffalo sees green grass, and volleyball during the winter.

I love the cruisemates board because it has given me some very helpful/useful tips for my upcoming cruise that I have been reading about for the past year when we booked it! Just want to thank everyone for being so informative on the board since working in corporate travel, I don't deal with the leisure side of the business anymore and feel like I'm just like any other vacationer not knowing what to expect.

Thanks Everyone and hope to see you on future cruises!!!!!
Old April 10th, 2006, 11:58 PM
Captain

Send a message via AIM to David West Send a message via Yahoo to David West

We're David and Harriet from Pearl,Mississippi. A small town about 5 miles east of Jackson,Mississippi. The wife and I have been married for 28 yrs. She's a staff accountant for a CPA firm here, and I'm a produce mgr. for Kroger Food Stores.

We have 1-son- 27,and a wonderful daughter-in-law. They have been married now for about 1 year and 6 months. And as of yet, no grand children. But, they will come in due time.

I have been coming to this web site since our first cruise in 1999. It just gets better and better.

Happy Cruising to all;
David

Legend May 2009
Liberty - Aug.23 2008
Fantasy - Sept.22 2007
Fantasy - Sept.27 2007 (B 2 B )
Holiday- Sept.- 2006
Valor- May - 2006
Conquest- August- 2003
Inspiration-Sept.-2001
Enchanted Isle- Sept.- 1999
Old April 11th, 2006, 09:07 AM
Passenger

Hi- I am from the southwest part of New Mexico, halfway between El Paso and Tucson. I am retired and now I just travel(mainly cruises).

I was first introduced to cruising by my late husband in 1981 and have been enjoying it since. From the number of posts I have it looks as if I am new but really I am not. I joined several years ago but then I left the boards for over a year and upon return I had to start fresh. I do not post much but I do check the board out every day. It is so good and with lots of good information.

Have a good day
ML
Old April 11th, 2006, 02:51 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Hi Everyone! I am Paul Motter and I am the captain of the CruiseMates ship. I live in Phoenix AZ, and I am (somewhat) newly married to a wonderful woman that I met at my (30th) high school reunion in 2002. Her name is Lou Ann. She is a professional health practitioner with a PhD in mental/spiritual counseling. She focuses on holistic, natural-style health practices. We were married Oct 25, 2004.

I grew up in Phoenix, but moved to Los Angeles (Hollywood) right after High School. I lived and worked there in recording studios until 1983. That was the year I got my first job on a cruise ship. I worked on Royal Viking Lines for almost a year.

Twelve years later, I was engaged to a professional dancer getting her masters degree in Modern Dance at the University of Utah. One day she came home with a flyer announcing auditions for the Jean Ann Ryan company. I looked it and said, "you know, I used to stage manage on cruise ships," and she said, "why don't you call them?" I did and was hired on the phone to go back on ships. So, I spent another three months sailing on Norway.

While I was at sea, my girlfriend decided she had to move to New York City. I got off the Norway in Miami, flew back to Utah and had two weeks to sell our cars, pack up a truck and move to NYC - whew! But we made it. Two weeks later we moved into the East Village in Manhattan. I spent one night in that apartment before Holland America flew me to Alaska followed by the Inaugural season of the Statendam in Europe.

When I got back to NYC after HAL, I settled down for awhile, and we broke up. Then I met Anne Campbell. She was then the cruise critic for AOL, and I was writing for an AOL site called Motley Fool. We met online, and then in person, and the rest is history. I was forced to leave NYC in 2000 when my brother passed away because he was the sole caretaker of my mother. I moved back to Phx to take care of dear Mom.

Eventually I met my (now) wife, and I still live in Phoenix. Anne Campbell and I are still partners in this company. We are close friends.

I got an email from a very nice lady who asked me why I do not participate in the boards over here more. I explained to her that for some reason a lot of the times in the past when I posted here some people would decide to get confrontational with me - I do not know why (but I have a theory - I guess some people always want tell "management" how to run a business the way they see fit. if you are one of those people, we have been going for almost 7 years now and we are bigger than ever). We average about 25,000 unique visitors/day, some days we go over 31,000.

In any case, I am very happy to be here in Chit-Chat. We do welcome everyone here -- it is an open forum with the underlying premise of cruising.

You can send me a private message by hitting the PM button. If you want to read my bio you can do that here: Paul Motter Bio

I want to say how much I appreciate the CruiseMates "crew" like Kuki, Donna, Mary Lou, Y2C (Steve), Harry and Mike M, and some past crew-members who are still gracious and special enough to stick around and are soooo welcome here like Linda (Trip) and Gaile (Tweety).

I also want to thank all you regular posters who make this board such a nice place to visit.

By the way, there were some rumors floating a few months ago that we were thinking of closing the chit-chat board and the chatroom. Those rumors were very off-base. Obviously, that never happened, and it was never planned to happen.

I understand the chat has slowed down, but it will continue, everyone is welcome to go there at 9:00 eastern on any given night. There may or not be an official host in there, but it doesn't matter, anyone can enter at any time and if you find someone in there and you feel like talking, please go ahead.

As I said, I am venturing back to this board because someone asked me why I do not post in it more, I am with the hope that a few people won't decide to fill these pages with confrontation to me simply because I am the manager/owner of the boards. This message board is not the place to ask me about CruiseMates business, and if you do want to ask me about CruiseMates you can ask in a private message, but I have to say that some information is private so do not expect me to answer every question. I you ask me a CM business related question in this forum, it may be deleted. I will try to answer you offline.

Hello to you all! And thank you so much for gracing our message boards!

Here is my wife's web site: Lou Ann
Old April 12th, 2006, 01:30 AM
First Mate

Hi, Grant and Carol here from Edmonton Alberta, just a few miles north of Kuki. Have 12 cruises done and another booked for next Jan. One daughter (23) still at home, one son married with a sweet little grand daughteR (2 1/2).have been lurking here since 2000 or so.
Old April 12th, 2006, 02:12 PM
Cruise Maniac

Location: Indiana in the middle of a farmer's former cornfield.

Hi, we are Keith & Rita from Southern Indiana. I am 59 and Rita is 57. We graduated from the same high school two years apart, but did not meet until 1995. She was recently divorced and I was a widower. I have three grown daughters and six grand kids and two step-grand kids. Rita has a grown son who lives in Orlando. He has a daughter that he never sees, as the mother took off for parts unknown a few years ago.

I have been part owner of a manufacturing business for 24 years now: http://creativecraftsmen.net/
Rita is retiring April 20 from the sheriff's dept after 20 years. She says she going to sit around the house in a robe and shaggy slippers with her hair in curlers watching soap operas!

Last fall we sold our Jeep Wrangler to the sheriff, as we gave up 4-wheeling for the waltz, rumba, fox-trot, east coast, swing, etc. What a contrast--no more mud on our dance shoes!

We've been visiting this place off and on for a few years and mainly post in the Meet On Board or Cruise Lines forums. We've had to change our screen name and password on various occasions, as the site was not very compatible with CompuServe. It crashed and burned a lot when we tried to sign on. The new format works just fine. We know a few folks around here from this and other sites. In fact, we will be cruising with fllady on our next cruise.

We spoke to soon, had to use IE to post

Keith & Rita Ann

Fast dancing is the second best form of exercise,
slow dancing leads to the first!
Old April 12th, 2006, 06:31 PM
Administrator
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Paul Motter

Sounds like Keith & Rita have a lot in common with my story. I met my wife at our high school reunuion. We graduated the same year, have a lot of mutual friends, but we did not really know each other in high school. We like to fantasize about going back there and watching the two of us interact never knowing we would get married some 30 years later.

Funny what you say about compuserve. I had no idea we Compuserve issues. Glad the new format fixed them, though! Good to see you :-)
Old April 12th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Admiral

Hi all,
Joanne aka travelnut here,,,
Married to Dan for 40 years coming up this August 15th, we have one fantastic daughter Leah and son-in-law Jamie. They have given us 3 beautiful grandsons, Dillon 7, Cameron 5, and Evan 19 mos.
Needless to say they are the lights of our life.
We started cruising in 1994,,,have been on 8 so far. We have the Century booked for New Years. Can't wait !!!
We are originaly from A2 Michigan,,,but moved south to the tidewater area of Va. many years ago. We call this home now.
We have a weekend place on the Rappahannock River,,,go every weekend from April to Nov.
We are self-employed flooring contractors for several Lowe's stores in this area.
Have been hanging around here for several years,,,great place,,,lots of friendly folks,,,and lots of info.

"Attitude is determined by latitude"

Geoff Peterson for President.
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:10 AM
First Mate

Default INTRODUCTIONS roll call join in

My wife ane I are from Stephenville, Texas (about 65mi.SW of Ft. Worth), and yes we are newbies. I am 67 and my wife will be turning the dreaded .....65 in five days. She is retired from working at Tarleton State University (Stephenville) and I am still fully employed .

We have been married 47yrs. and have two sons ages 40 and 37, and two grandchildren by the oldest son and two dogs and four cats from his brother and his wife.

We will be with a group on the POA 6/11/06 cruise (our first) and have THOUROUGHLY enjoyed reading all the post from the members of this site.

I read posts for a month before "gutten up" and posting for some insite into the cruise world. Thought some of my questions might by sort of stupid, but paddletoe53 answered my first question and set me at ease. Also got a reply from lunaTEKKE. Thanks

This seems to be a truly sincere and caring site for the people who post here, with a lot of you not knowing one another except through the site. The concern for Mike, his son and wife deffinitly elude to that.

Felt for the person sending the post about signing off for awhile, and the comments you all made to her.. It is a shame that some people "poke fun at" or purposely knock someone down.

I will put my 2-cents worth in every now and then, and when I return from the POA cruise I will know EVERYTHING about crusing ..... right. Like can't get it out of your blood.

luanneRusso from "near" Ft. Hood - I was born and raised in Copperas Cove.

I have a post - Roll Call for Pride of Aloha 6/11-18/ 2006. If amy of you "newbies" are going to be on her, give me a post. So far, trtllovr and I seem to be the only ones on the cruise.

Sorry I have rattled on, but do appreciate all the people that "keep the posts going" and the comradarie on this site.

crabbie1
Old April 15th, 2006, 12:15 AM
First Mate

Default INTRODUCTIONS roll call join in

Sorry - My name is Gayle and my wife is Amy
Old April 15th, 2006, 08:57 AM
First Mate

Hi - Mary here from Charlotte, NC. I have one beautiful daughter living in HotLanta and two cats that reside with me and rule the roost.

Coming up on cruise number 9 on Carnival Valor - April 30th (Pinkie's Reunion Cruise)- just can't wait.

Next two cruises October 9th - Souvereign (tentative) and booked for the CM Carnival Liberty on Jan 6 2007 - first Cruisemates cruise.
Old April 16th, 2006, 09:23 PM
Familiar Face

it is nice to see everyone posted here. We are Hazel & Brian from Toronto.
WE are in our early 60's but I don;t feel that age or look it I am told.
Anyway our addiction strted with our first transatlantic crossing in 1983on QE2. We are doing another one this year in QM2 on Sept 24/06.
This is an addcition that onece hooked who wants to break it. Not us. We love cruising.
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:30 PM
First Mate

Hi! I just officially joined this site today, but have been doing lots of reading on here for the past 4months. What a wonderful website!

I'm married, have a 4yr old daughter. I'm a part time RN and full time mom. My husband works for verizon wireless as a cell site tech. We live in georgia, but only have been here for about 4years. My husband is ex millitary.

We just got back from the NCL JEWEL, had an absolute wonderful time and am severely suffering from post cruise blues. I can't wait to book
another cruise!
NCL JEWEL 4/9/2006
DISNEY WONDER 6/15/06
NCL SUN 1/23/07 (girls trip!)
NCL PEARL 3/30/07
RCCI MAJESTY OF THE SEAS 8/27/07
NCL Sky 8/31/09 (Mom's Bday Cruise)
Disney Magic 10/17/09 with the baby!!
Next Cruise...NCL Dawn 6/6/10 NYC to Bermuda ;-)
Old April 17th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Passenger

Newbie Here. My Name is Scott, fiance is Falyn. We live in Orlando, althought the only other CF person on here I have met is Jodi, since she sits in the next cube over. My fiance and I have both been on a bunch of cruises, and are looking forward to our first one together for our honeymoon. I am 22, she is 24. I know...everyone says we are too young to get married, but it is right! Look forward to meeting/speaking with you all.
Premier Oceanic "Big Red Boat #1"
Celebrity Millenium
Norwegian Wind
Regal Princess
Celebrity Zenith
Old April 17th, 2006, 03:58 PM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Kuki

How nice to be "meeting" all the new folks. Delighted that you're joining in. Way more fun to post, and become a part of our wonderful little community, than to remain in the background reading along.

Keep on coming back! We love to add new friends to talk to.