Go Back   CruiseMates Cruise Community and Forums > People > Chit - Chat for Cruisers

Chit - Chat for Cruisers Open Forum for non-cruise posts. Please refrain from inflammatory rhetoric that could be considered offensive. We reserve the right to edit or delete for any reason.

Old July 25th, 2016, 12:31 AM
Administrator
Admiral

Default I'm Evil and will be punished

We are in the process of downsizing to a smaller home. Tonight I was going through an armoire and found old cruise papers from 1999 - 2004. It had things from Renaissance Cruises, Princess, NCL, Celebrity and Seabourne.

I threw almost all of it in the recycling bin. I kept a few things from Renaissance and Celebrity but the rest went away. It was a full size drawer full of dailies, adverts, cruise documents, etc.

I did the same thing a few years ago with other cruise stuff. I can no longer think of a reason to keep it sitting in a drawer or file cabinet. I really don't go the "Cruise Room" route and neither does my wife so we keep very little anymore.

Is anyone else "Evil"?

Take care,
Mike (I've even gone as far as throwing away a few "Ships on a Stick". )

"There is a great difference between being well traveled and just having been to many places." ~Me

"Fear is the assassin of dreams." ~Me
Old July 25th, 2016, 05:17 AM
Admiral

Mike, I don't think that you are evil. You are using common sense, because it's not good to keep a cluttered home.
We know a couple who moved into a smaller home and they have not been able to weed out their belongings and their home is an absolute mess and it's giving them a lot of stress.

My DW and I actually moved to a larger home when we came to Florida but we got rid of a lot of stuff that we no longer found useful.

TM
Sensation 4/2002
Infinity 4/2003
Summit 4/2004+4/2005
Carnival Liberty New Year's Eve 2007
Liberty of the Seas 5/2008+11/2009
Solstice 4/2009
Oasis 4/2010+4/13/2013
Allure 1/16/ 2011
Equinox 4/11/2011+4/4/2016
Independence 12/29/13
Vision OTS 2-14-2015
Freedom OTS 3/6/16
Old July 25th, 2016, 07:24 AM
Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Trip

Ours hit the circle file long ago....all that I've saved our sign and sail cards.

Trip, with her book & tea!
Chat Hostess & Board Moderator

Old July 25th, 2016, 08:05 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Donna

Did the same thing years ago, aside from an occasional fridge magnet and sign/sail cards, don't save much either....

Message Boards Moderator
Old July 25th, 2016, 08:08 AM
Admiral

I still have a "cruise room", but it is also the computer/office/craft/jigsaw/scrapbooking/teaching stuff room. The décor is pure Caribbean - sunshine, bright colours, tropical plants, laminated jigsaw puzzles, and various cruise souvenirs (colourful cups, ship on a stick, ship models.)
As for the paper souvenirs, we have gradually purged that stuff. Only the ones that haven't made it into scrapbooks yet (I'm a little behind), are saved, but most has gone. The only cruise memories I won't part with are photos.

donna
Old July 25th, 2016, 09:23 AM
Admiral

We keep very little cruise stuff. We do have our loyalty cards but other than that just some photos and most of those are on memory cards. Our general rule is if it hasn't been used, brought out, cleaned or even looked at in 2 years then out it goes.

"I haven't been everywhere, but it's on my list." ~ Susan Sontag
Old July 25th, 2016, 09:27 AM
Familiar Face

Good on you! My wife and I are currently de-cluttering our home and it's making all difference.
If, whatever it is, no longer gives me joy, I let it go.
The hardest things to part with hold sentimental value but they're only tactile representations of past experiences. The memories will stay forever.

Rep

Carnival Mardi Gras - Summer '83 Carnival Fascination 6/7/97 Carnival Glory 6/18/05 Carnival Destiny 7/27/08 RCI Rhapsody of the Seas 12/3/16
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:11 AM
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to rayb Send a message via Skype™ to rayb
Default I am evil

I have a folder on each and every Trip and Cruise I have been on. I have thought many times I should toss them but I have not. They say my family does not care for this stuff but I have memories and so they are still here.

So I better change my mind fast and do as most all of you are doing. Will let you know when they are gone.
Old July 25th, 2016, 10:28 AM
Admiral

We're more evil than you. For many decades we've not even bothered to bring that stuff home. Cruise dailies and all the other junk they leave in the room go in the trash as soon as their specific usefulness--if any--has passed. I do think that somewhere we have a set of menus from our first cruise on Sitmar. Those are a revelation compared to the perfectly OK but perfectly ordinary food in main dining rooms today. It was like a specialty restaurant every night, and then a bit better. Caviar was served routinely.

A couple months ago we began a more or less perpetual "spring cleaning" of lots of other stuff. It's hard, and sometimes emotional, but even though we're not planning on moving, it's just something that has to be done. These days, most everything that used to be on paper goes on a hard drive with a cloud backup, either automatically or by scanning, so that helps.

But there's still plenty more to sift through.
Old July 25th, 2016, 08:34 PM
Admiral

I have the cruise newsletter's for most of our cruise's, but I'm now really thinking about getting rid of them. I thought they'd be nice to look back on, but, frankly, I'm not at all sure I'd even know or care about what I was looking at :0!
I also have kept our cruise cards and think I'll keep them to try to remember... .
SunPrincess2006NCLDream&
CaribbeanPrincess2007NCLDawn&
IslandPrincess2008IslandPrincess&
GoldenPrincess2009CarnivalConquest&
GrandPrincess2010IslandPrincess&
GrandPrincess2011CarnivalMagic&
CarnivalDream2012IslandPrincess&
CarnivalMagic2013CarnivalLegend2014&
CarnivalMagic&CoralPrincess2015
CarnivalLiberty&CaribbeanPrincess2016
EmeraldPrincess2017 Island Princess2018
CoralPrincess2019
Old July 25th, 2016, 08:41 PM
Admiral

In 2003 we downsized from a large home in NYC to a town house in a relatively small town (pop.25,000).

We got rid of so much stuff .However ,I still have a lot of things that I have been saving for many years.
i have a sports collectibles collection that i am trying to sell in person and not on e-bay . I have sold hundreds of items to collectibles stores so far.

I also have approximately 12 plaques that were given to me by various organizations over the past 35 years.My wife wants me to get rid of them.My children suggest that I take pictures of them and then get rid of them but I am keeping them as long as I can.